Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,530 Posts
I'm dreading this, too, as on a few occasions I've had a very, very faint whiff of antifreeze in my Daytona.

I know that someone here, perhaps John Wood, cut a heater box open to get at the core. Not sure if that means he got past the evaporator without removing it. But on this old a car, as long as you're in there, it makes sense to change the evaporator out, too. The part is about $45 to $80, depending on brand.

Whether you have R12 or R134a, if the system is otherwise in good repair, the two refrigerants are now nearly the same in price, due to dropped demand for R12.

You can postpone the repair by buying a small straight length of plastic or copper tubing and bypassing the heater core underhood. I carry a plastic tube for this purpose in my glovebox.

·
Super Moderator
33,530 Posts
Yup, 5/8". In the HELP! section of the auto parts stores, they sell a plastic connector. You only need that, a screwdriver and then water to fix it while on the road.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.