Allpar Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
I don't recommend using stop leak ever. That stuff will clog your heater core and your radiator and then you'll have the expense of replacing them both. Don't do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll add to the anti-stop leak wagon. Years of shop work have shown me repeatedly that any stop leak additives are temp at best. It;s great if you are in the middle of nowhere and spring a pin hole. Never use it in place of a proper repair.

BTW: Yes, the raw egg trick works well. Pond slime works in a pinch too! :thumbsup:

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,805 Posts
I don't recommend using stop leak ever. That stuff will clog your heater core and your radiator and then you'll have the expense of replacing them both. Don't do it.
Add me to the list. The passages in the heater core are very small and Stop Leak can clog them up very easily.

It may work in a pinch with a pin hole leak, but that would only be temporary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well the new core is installed. The one I got from Rockauto.com was badly manufactured, the pipes weren't bent properly and the mounting bracket sat about 1/2" too high, so I got one from Advance that also had a lifetime warranty. Since this job really blows I went through the trouble of leak testing the core befor install by submerging it in water then pressurizing it with air at about 17psi. I need to replace some of the old rotten foam so I stopped there. I took a few pics hopefully they might help somebody when they do theirs since I could not find any on the internet. BTW I emailed Rockauto about my problem and after I answered a few questions they said it sounds like a defect, they refunded my money and told me to discard the bad part, sweeeet!

http://s1263.photobu...zps700007d6.jpg

21 - 24 of 24 Posts