Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L 6 cylinder SXT that I just bought 2 1/2 months ago. The transmission has just failed. I can only drive it until December 1, 2013 and it will go off the taxi stand.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Sorry to hear about your luck, but most Mopar transmission failures nowadays are because of the use of the wrong type transmission fluid. I don't know the history of your van or if you ever had the transmission filter and fluid changed, but if you did and someone put any type of fluid in except for ATF+4 then that's probably the reason for the failure. Dexron with an "additive" is not acceptable and will definitely cause your transmission to die. I'm curious though as to how it failed and you state you can only drive it until Dec 1st. Either it works or it doesn't. What gives?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are using the van as in a taxi service with out knowing the type of service done to it, there is part of your problem.
(1)-should have had the transmission check, and service with the Mopar ATF+4 fluid.
(2)-an extra transmission fluid cooler should have been added to help keep things cooler since taxi service is considered sever service, and require more service intervals than normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts