Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First post on this forum.

I hope to soon own a "Jensen Interceptor Series 3" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_Interceptor). This car will be fitted with a low compression (8:1) Chrysler 440 with dual carbs.

It is my intention to optimise the engine's performance as follows:
1) Convert the engine to fuel injection. This will be done using an Edelbrock 7144 EFI manifold with Megasquirt 2 ECU firing two EDIS-8 coil packs directly for wasted spark ignition. I'm very familiar with the Megasquirt side of things now having done many Rover V8s and Jaguar V12s.
2) Upgrade the compression ratio to around 10:1

I would like to start a thread on how I can cost-effectively increase the compression ratio on the 440 and what other upgrades I should do while the engine is open. Please quide me as to where I should post this question.

TIA
mopwit

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, mopwit. I'm sure that some of the members that do this kind of thing will give you some answers or suggestions when they read this. Hang loose and enjoy your Mopar.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Welcome. The Performance and Tech Support and Help subforums will be best- the 440 is a great motor and depending on how you want to handle it can be really made to sing. My guess is that the easiest way to increase compression will be to check to block, probably bore over lightly and go to higher compression pistons, and reassemble. There are a bunch of part numbers and casting numbers that will help us advise, and the year of manufacture of the engine will also help. I can't off-hand remember if any 440s got cast cranks or not, or forged vs cast pistons, etc.

If it's a smog-era motor, it might be most cost effective to replace the entire rotating assembly with one ordered pre-balanced, once the overbore needed on the block is established. You can get H-beam rods, forged or hypereutectic cast pistons, and a forged steel crank as a set and just have the motor bored and assembled.

You might also be able to increase compression with different heads or with milling, again depending on what year and what heads are present.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts