Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant find the batt temp sensor i have codes well ones p0137 but thats 02 sensor the one that comes up is p0517 thats batt temp sensor the battery tray just has a hole no wiring anywhere i checked im a mechanic and i looked online cant figure it out called dodge they dunno parts store dunno and no place can get them remember i have the 2005 pt cruiser gt turbo 2.4L

·
Registered
407 Posts
upload_2020-8-17_8-15-23.png

Hopefully this helps, this is what comes out of the Mopar parts directory and isn't very clear.... Number 15 is the battery temp sensor. Mopar part number 5033241AA. It is discontinued but check around there may be other options?

upload_2020-8-17_8-19-20.png

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also p0137 low or no voltage to 02 sensor i cant ignore code it wont pass inspection when cel comes on in ny

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,401 Posts
The Ambient temp sensor behind the front bumper may take the place of the battery tray temp sensor. There must be some kind of Battery or Ambient air temperature sensor for the PCM to adjust the charging rate.
The plastic ambient air temp sensor was a common casualty in parking space stop and curb hits.
If the O2 sensor has already been replaced, make sure that it is an OEM (i.e.- Mopar, NGK/NTK) part. Bosch or universal generic O2 sensors have been known to not play nice.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
. . . the one that comes up is p0517 thats batt temp sensor the battery tray just has a hole no wiring anywhere i checked im a mechanic and i looked online cant figure it out called dodge they dunno parts store dunno and no place can get them remember i have the 2005 pt cruiser gt turbo 2.4L. . . .
Code P0517 indicates battery temperature sensor circuit high. That means either the sensor signal or return ground is OPEN or shorted to voltage. When Chrysler eliminated this sensor circuit, the software logic would have been updated to remove this code. It would NOT have been mistakenly left in place.

If you want to do some tedious investigation and determine why this code is appearing, look at PCM (powertrain control module) connector C3. Disconnect the battery and remove connector C3. Are there mating receptacles in cavity #17 and #32 of the harness connector? If YES then follow the wiring for these cavities in the harness. You will either find the battery temperature sensor plug or you might find that the wiring and sensor wereas cut and removed. See attached image.

Battery Temperature Sensor Wiring.gif

If NO mating receptacles found in the connector C3 at position #17 and #32, check the pin arrangement in the PCM. Are there pins at corresponding positions #17 and #32. If YES then a previous owner has swapped in an earlier PCM that still used the battery temperature sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Ambient temp sensor behind the front bumper may take the place of the battery tray temp sensor. There must be some kind of Battery or Ambient air temperature sensor for the PCM to adjust the charging rate.
The plastic ambient air temp sensor was a common casualty in parking space stop and curb hits.
If the O2 sensor has already been replaced, make sure that it is an OEM (i.e.- Mopar, NGK/NTK) part. Bosch or universal generic O2 sensors have been known to not play nice.
There is a ambient air temp sensor i just didnt think that would be this issue as its batt temp

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
. . . I have also p0137 low or no voltage to 02 sensor i cant ignore code it wont pass inspection when cel comes on in ny . . . .
Code P0137 indicates that the downstream (after catalytic converter) oxygen sensor voltage signal is below 2.4 volts for more than 9 seconds. Two trip fault. Best way to diagnose is to monitor the downstream oxygen sensor signal. It should slowly oscillate around 0.45 volts but not vary as much as the upstream oxygen sensor signal. Always check the wiring for shorts, abasions to rule out a wiring issue first.

. . . The Ambient temp sensor behind the front bumper may take the place of the battery tray temp sensor. There must be some kind of Battery or Ambient air temperature sensor for the PCM to adjust the charging rate . . .
On those vehicles which used a calculated value for battery temperature (no physical battery temperature sensor) the algorithm that does the calculation may have used the inlet air temperature at the air cleaner / plenum box. I am thinking that would be used to help calculate an appropriate air - fuel mixture too. I C what do you think?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Code P0517 indicates battery temperature sensor circuit high. That means either the sensor signal or return ground is OPEN or shorted to voltage. When Chrysler eliminated this sensor circuit, the software logic would have been updated to remove this code. It would NOT have been mistakenly left in place.

If you want to do some tedious investigation and determine why this code is appearing, look at PCM (powertrain control module) connector C3. Disconnect the battery and remove connector C3. Are there mating receptacles in cavity #17 and #32 of the harness connector? If YES then follow the wiring for these cavities in the harness. You will either find the battery temperature sensor plug or you might find that the wiring and sensor wereas cut and removed. See attached image.

View attachment 29779

If NO mating receptacles found in the connector C3 at position #17 and #32, check the pin arrangement in the PCM. Are there pins at corresponding positions #17 and #32. If YES then a previous owner has swapped in an earlier PCM that still used the battery temperature sensor.
I don't know if it's the same, but you have the pinout for a Neon, this is the C3 pinout that I find for an '05 PT Cruiser, with no battery temp sensor:

This is the C3 pinout for '01-'04 PT Cruiser, that does have the battery temp sensor:

·
Registered
29 Posts
06PTElectricBlue contacted me to ask for my thoughts on the Battery temp issue.

So, while both the 04 and 05 PCMs have the circuitry to make use of the Batt temp sensor, the programming for the 05 does not use a physical sensor. That said, many people have installed 04 PCMs into 05 PTs, and vice versa, and have no problems with codes or a battery light or codes. In fact, I have tested many 04 and 05 PCM in my 03 PT GT, and not once have I had a code, nor battery light on for those PCMs. The same cannot be said for Neons, at least as far as the SRT4 goes, as If one installs an 05 PCM in an 04 car, the battery light will be on.

Since you have an oxygen sensor code, and now a phantom batter temp code, I am leaning towards the possibility that you may be in need of a replacement PCM. Once you have investigated the O2 sensor thoroughly we will know if you really do need a PCM or not.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
06PTElectricBlue contacted me to ask for my thoughts on the Battery temp issue.

So, while both the 04 and 05 PCMs have the circuitry to make use of the Batt temp sensor, the programming for the 05 does not use a physical sensor. That said, many people have installed 04 PCMs into 05 PTs, and vice versa, and have no problems with codes or a battery light or codes. In fact, I have tested many 04 and 05 PCM in my 03 PT GT, and not once have I had a code, nor battery light on for those PCMs. The same cannot be said for Neons, at least as far as the SRT4 goes, as If one installs an 05 PCM in an 04 car, the battery light will be on.

Since you have an oxygen sensor code, and now a phantom batter temp code, I am leaning towards the possibility that you may be in need of a replacement PCM. Once you have investigated the O2 sensor thoroughly we will know if you really do need a PCM or not.
I knew you would have an answer myckee :)

While trying to search online for the wiring, I found this company that makes a temp sensor delete harness:

Battery Temperature Sensor Delete Harness 95-10 Neon / Neon SRT4 / PT GT Cruiser (at https://www.modernperformance.com/product/2214/95-99-neon-20l-engine-components-sensors-and-wiring )

And apparently the sensor is no longer available, either from MOPAR or anything after-market.

But before you do any wiring modifications that may not fix your issue, you should follow the advice of myckee and look at the PCM as being the actual problem, maybe look into the O2 sensor issue first.

myckee knows about PT Cruiser PCM's and I believe he has seen a fair number of issues, especially on the Turbo PT's, caused because of the excessive heat from the turbo and being near the PCM.

Are you the original owner, do you know anything about the service history of your PT?

I'm not just making an ad for myckee, but if you find that you need a replacement PCM, myckee can help you with that, he has an Ebay store with 100% positive feedback:

Myckee's ECUs | eBay Stores (at https://www.ebay.com/str/Myckees-ECUs?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 )

But if you are searching for a PCM, you will generally pay more for one for the Turbo PT over NA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts