Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Allpar,

I am trying to track down Wes Notovitz, who wrote a post about collecting police cars. I am a journalist in Galesburg, Ill., and our police department is getting ready to sell a bunch of old squad cars on ebay. I would like to ask Wes if that is standard practice, if a lot of decent police cars can be found on ebay, or which avenues used police cars are usually sold to. Please tell him he can reach me at [email protected]

Thannks!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
To the issue of government sales, my guess is that the city, county, or state will have specific rules on how governments can divest themselves of assets worth over a certain amount of money. I know around here, they do it through a combination of local surplus-store retail, local auction, and Internet (not e-bay) auction depending on the organization. Arizona State University, for example, runs a retail store in their warehouse for the little things (computers, bicycles, furniture, miscellaneous small items) and every couple of months they hold a big in-person auction for cars and items sold in lots, so a lot of computers or a lot of chairs or a lot of filing cabinets, that sort of thing. One of the cities is open for retail two days a week, and holds periodic auctions in-person as well. Phoenix, if I remember what I saw correctly, does offer auctions through a web site.

I would expect that if you contact some municipal property management departments you can find out how they do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts