Allpar Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
lets figure out how we can increase baby formula at this time
We seem to be living in times where resourcefulness is more important now than ever before.
Commercially prepared baby formula has been around for a very long time, but for many families back in the "Olde Days" (like mine)...it was a luxury and so many mothers (like mine) used variations of this basic DIY infant formula.:
I was given something very similar to this way back when...and...guess what? I'm still alive (granted old and sick)...but still alive!:

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,077 Posts
We seem to be living in times where resourcefulness is more important now than ever before.
Commercially prepared baby formula has been around for a very long time, but for many families back in the "Olde Days" (like mine)...it was a luxury and so many mothers (like mine) used variations of this basic DIY infant formula.:
I was given something very similar to this way back when...and...guess what? I'm still alive (granted old and sick)...but still alive!:

My oldest daughter (now 36) would not / could not eat formula. My wife had to make formula from Carnation milk, Kiro Syrup and some other ingredients. It was so long ago I forget all the details. Eventually she graduated to whole milk, 2% milk, 1% milk, and the skim milk.

Of course, now there will be a run on evaporated milk, etc. Sigh........

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Jeepaholic
6,647 Posts
Yeah, these DIY parents better check with their pediatrician before making any formula replacement at home. It can be very dangerous and can make an infant very sick.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
And that is where I will disagree ... I admit the current system really ... really sucks.
They simply cant build anything .... our foundry's that make metal are all located over seas .... We need to bring back our ability to make cars.

We simply do not do that today in our current climate .... Nobody from GM, Ford or Mopar will make this right with ought fixing this.
Why I think it is silly for a member to step up and ask what we want? I believe they have no power to create anything .... Step up and start making things, yeah people will follow you.
There are quite a few foundries that supply steel still in the US. Many of the parts for vehicles are still made here. So to say that everything comes from overseas is simply not correct. And Chrysler outsourced more of their car parts back in the day then Ford or GM did.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
There are quite a few foundries that supply steel still in the US. Many of the parts for vehicles are still made here. So to say that everything comes from overseas is simply not correct. And Chrysler outsourced more of their car parts back in the day then Ford or GM did.
In fact, there’s a foundry down the road from me that I believe historically has been a GM heavy duty axle supplier.

Across many if not most industries the supply chain cost was cut to the point where there was no longer a business case to continue. Supply gets constrained for a longer than normal period and corporate management gets the wild idea to start partnering with suppliers. Seems to be a 6-8 year cycle in my neck of the woods.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,107 Posts
Regarding “port beautification,” that's political trash you're hearing. The problem with the port is trying to handle more than double its design intent during a manpower crisis. Yes, trucks have to take their loads away immediately. Duh. That's because otherwise there's no space for anything. Lack of trucks is not the issue, lack of truckers is the issue. Ports outside of CA have the same problems, it's just politically correct in some circles to blame it all on “stoopid California leftists.”

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,107 Posts
However... infant mortality was much higher then. You survived - that's survival bias ;)

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

21 - 28 of 28 Posts