Allpar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring in Cool Vanilla
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! While upgrading the sound system in my '07 Touring Edition, I saw this laying under the dash, next to the speaker cut out on the driver's side. The cable has obviously been cut, but the red and black wire snakes down the pillar and disappears into the floor molding along the door. No idea what it does, or if it even needs to be there. Before I go pulling the paneling up to trace it out, I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,492 Posts
Not a Chrysler part. Looks like a module for some aftermarket accessory like a security or shock sensor?
Any name on it? Any wires cut near the steering column?

·
Registered
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
61 Posts
Looks aftermarket. It reminds me of the generic modules used for steering wheel controls, but with that many wires cut, I can't see it being effective in that capacity.

·
Super Moderator
38,731 Posts
My bet is it’s a GPS tracker, either as part of a security system, a fleet vehicle monitoring system, or from a buy here/pay here lot to track down or shut off the car when people don’t pay.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! So I'm gonna go ahead and take it out. Thanks for the help! I didn't think it was OEM, because it is literally just laying under the console, not secured down or attached to anything.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
2004 PT Cruiser GT
19 Posts
My bet is it’s a GPS tracker, either as part of a security system, a fleet vehicle monitoring system, or from a buy here/pay here lot to track down or shut off the car when people don’t pay.
I have to second this assessment on the gps monitor. From what I have searched (I get ocd wanting to find info on strange things) the cut wires appear to be connections to disable the car. That said who knows, I have been searching for the serial number as well because I really get intrigued to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have worked with "buy here, pay here" dealers before and found similar-looking devices in the tracking systems added to the cars and could shut down the car when the payments didn't show up. Pretty safe bet on taking it out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My 1994 Taurus LX was originally a lease car from a local Ford dealer and when I was doing some work under the right end of the dash I found a Lo-Jack unit and a small battery. The battery was connected to the hot side of the courtesy lights through a diode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts