Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, my car didn't want to start. Hit the start button again and the traction control off signal came on and the car would barely go down the road and it would learch forward. I stopped it and cranked it again and it drove fine but the check engine light came on. The Dodge dealer said it was a rough idle code and that it was drivable but it could be the throttle body cable or the throttle body itself.
After a week of having to crank it consecutive times getting it to start, it finally won't crank at all and the check engine light is now blinking?

Any ideas as to what could be the issue?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
Blinking 'ck eng' light usually is a warning of severe misfire that could potentially damage the catalytic converter. Large amounts of hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) to the converter will over-work it and pose a possible fire hazard.
What are your actual 'P' codes? I would solve for them first.
A TRAC OFF light would store a fault code in the ABS module.
There is no throttle body 'cable', it is an electronic throttle body (ETC) with a motor-controlled throttle blade. Diagnose first.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blinking 'ck eng' light usually is a warning of severe misfire that could potentially damage the catalytic converter. Large amounts of hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) to the converter will over-work it and pose a possible fire hazard.
What are your actual 'P' codes? I would solve for them first.
A TRAC OFF light would store a fault code in the ABS module.
There is no throttle body 'cable', it is an electronic throttle body (ETC) with a motor-controlled throttle blade. Diagnose first.
They dealer put it on the diagnostic machine and the code that came up was "rough idle, cold start" of course that was when I took it over there and he said it was drivable.

Someone suggested that it was a bad battery, so I jumped the car off and it cranked up...but surely it wouldn't go through all that check engine flashing, traction control off, and weak acceleration if it was just the battery?
Granted the battery is the original one from when I bought the car in 2016.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
There must be a 'P' code for what is lighting the 'ck eng' light (misfire?). The 'rough idle, cold start' doesn't help me look it up for troubleshooting advice.
Once the car is running, the battery shouldn't be in the picture, unless there is a charging problem.
Is this a 2.0L? How do the spark plugs look?

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
It could be the battery. With all of the computers that on are cars today, they're very sensitive to voltage changes. If it were mine, I'd pull the battery out and take it to the nearest parts store and have it load tested. I've never works on cars for a living like IC, so would definitely follow his advice first. HE DA MAN! I definitely agree that you need to get the codes and post them here.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be the battery. With all of the computers that on are cars today, they're very sensitive to voltage changes. If it were mine, I'd pull the battery out and take it to the nearest parts store and have it load tested. I've never works on cars for a living like IC, so would definitely follow his advice first. HE DA MAN! I definitely agree that you need to get the codes and post them here.
It was the battery, thank goodness.

I've never had a car act like that when the battery went south, man...made me think there was something major wrong with the car. :confused:

Thanks for the responses, folks.:)

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
It was the battery, thank goodness.

I've never had a car act like that when the battery went south, man...made me think there was something major wrong with the car. :confused:

Thanks for the responses, folks.:)
Even my 2000 T&C Ltd acted strange when the battery became weak. Today's vehicles have a lot of voltage drain that even a slight drop in voltage can make things act up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts