Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2006 Pt cruiser 2.4 l turbo. When vehicle is started it runs extremely rough at idle and then it smooths out when accelerator pressed. When you come to a stop you have to press the acelerator softly or car will die. Once at highway speeds the car runs great until coming to a stop then car wants to die. I've taken it to auto zone to have a diagnostic run but it shows error instead of codes. Im not a mechanic . Can someone please help me. What should I check first.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,977 Posts
You need to get the "P" codes. You may need to use a scanner. An inexpensive one ($50-$65) will at least give you the engine codes and maybe the transmission codes. Sounds like all the shop did was run the key dance and see what came up in the mileage display. Some auto parts retailers (Advance, AutoZone) will read the codes for no charge. I suppose the "error" reading was a miscommunication between the scanner and PCM?

When were the plugs/wires last changed? Any vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I'd try cleaning the throttle body (throttle body cleaner and NOT carburetor cleaner), first and then put a bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank and run a couple of tanks of gas through it and see if it improves. But Doug is right. You really need to find someone to check the codes on it first. My idea will only cost you about $10 and a little time. Please do NOT start shotgunning parts at it and hope that fixes it. Something else you may want to consider is getting the battery load tested. 06 was the first year for the TIPM in the PT Cruisers and they're very sensitive to voltage changes. If your battery is weak, the PT will NOT run correctly.

Reactions: 1999 White C5 Coupe

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
A compression check would be a good start after the codes. It could be a burnt valve, which shows up at idle but runs better at speed. It also could be other things, such as the idle air control valve. Chuzz's suggestion of cleaning the throttle body and Techron would be a good start as well.

When was the last tuneup (spark plugs, spark plug wires, PCV, etc.)?

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The first order of business I see is a tuneup as doug d and djsamuel noted, plugs and wires. Be certain to use the copper champions called out on the engine compartment sticker; nothing has been found to work better. Start with the basics.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
If you do the tune up, gap the plugs at .040. That's where I gapped mine and it ran like a top. I got that tip from a buddy who's an ASE Certified Master Mechanic. He did a LOT of experimenting with plug gaps on his turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Purchased a 2006 Pt cruiser 2.4 l turbo. When vehicle is started it runs extremely rough at idle and then it smooths out when accelerator pressed. When you come to a stop you have to press the acelerator softly or car will die. Once at highway speeds the car runs great until coming to a stop then car wants to die. I've taken it to auto zone to have a diagnostic run but it shows error instead of codes. I'm not a mechanic . Can someone please help me. What should I check first.
It might be a fuel injector problem. Do you have a trouble code? I had an issue once, where my car stalled out at a stop. I had a fuel injector code. I changed one injector and my car worked great. I forget if they were numbered from left or right. I remember this being the most difficult part to the repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Purchased a 2006 Pt cruiser 2.4 l turbo. When vehicle is started it runs extremely rough at idle and then it smooths out when accelerator pressed. When you come to a stop you have to press the acelerator softly or car will die. Once at highway speeds the car runs great until coming to a stop then car wants to die. I've taken it to auto zone to have a diagnostic run but it shows error instead of codes. Im not a mechanic . Can someone please help me. What should I check first.
Can't you do the turn key three times error code check on the PT?

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
Is the yellow 'ck eng' lamp on? I would expect stored or pending misfire fault codes.
Some generic OBDII code readers won't play nice with CAN bus languages. Try another test tool.
Spark plugs are at the front line of cylinder combustion action and can tell a story.
Are they the correct OEM type of NGK (LZTR5A-13) or Champion (RE16MC) listed for the application? Are the tips carbon fouled (black)? Replacement of plug wires is recommended every other plug change.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Keep in mind that's the first year of the second gen PT's. First year for the cursed TIPM and it seems like some were hit or miss. You MIGHT get with Myckee (fellow member here) and talk to him about getting a TIPM from him or having him rework yours. He's a great guy to deal with and he WON'T stiff you. Imperial Crown, did you notice this thread is over a year old? I only replied because you did. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts