Allpar Forums banner

Help on building V8 Dakota!

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dana44 
#1 ·
I have an 01 Dakota with a 3.9 v6. I know a 318 and 360 will bolt up to the trans. Question....Will the 5.7 Hemi bolt up? I also know that engine mounts would have to be made. If it's too much work, I will probably just go with a 360. Any advice or answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. We have discussed this several times in the past, there are problems with the frame rails being in the way, and the alterations to make a Hemi work requires frame alteration (it's a width thing), and exhaust manifold location/dump problem. The amount of work would be very difficult, but not impossible, frustration levels would be very high, but I would love to see it done. So, until you actually do it and give us the pointers you had to do, the 360/5.9 is a good compromise. As far as the transmission goes, the 2.5/3.9 used a lighter duty 5spd, not sure about the automatic, beefiness, which would be something to look into, and remember, the 318/5.2 is internally balanced, 360/5.9 is external balanced and requires a matching torque converter/flywheel.

#3 ·
Yes, the 5.2 and 5.9 will bolt to the transmission but I would not expect it to last. There were three levels of automatic transmissions: 42RE, 44RE and 46RE. You would probably have the 42RE behind theV6 while the 5.9 used the 46RE which is a more heavy duty unit.

If you search some, I thinkg on dakotart.com, you'll find there have been 5.7 swaps done.

#4 ·
I'd be leery of bolting the Hemi to the 42, or 46RE auto transmissions listed above, as well. All are prone to overheating when coupled with torque over 375lbs.
That's the reason Dodge and Jeep use the 5 speed automatic behind it.

#5 ·
Now why didn't anyone mention it had been done somewhere else? I guess I will have to do some investigating and see just how easy it would be. If a 5.7 Hemi will get better mileage in a Dakota than the 17mpg city driving I get now, I would be stupid not to do it, right?

#7 ·
Does make it a whole lot easier, especially when you get to the computer controls and fabrication work you need to do to make it work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.