Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 PT cruiser that the engine has blowing... I have an opportunity to get a 2002 PT cruiser I was just wondering if the engines would be compatible?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. A 2007 through 2010 would be a direct fit (Mopar # R3424877).
2002 came in 2 versions (w/ EGR & w/o EGR). Neither would be a direct fit.
The 2002 & 2007 electronics are 2 very different generations.

·
Premium Member
20,250 Posts
There is a difference, as mentioned, as in I believe the crankshaft sensor is different, so they don't interchange, controlled by the computer, or some such thing as that. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.. how bad is the engine, maybe you can get a short block rebuild. Unbolt the top end off the blown engine then bolt it onto the short block and slap it back in there and Bob's your uncle. But first find out what's all wrong with the blown engine to see if this is viable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
True.. no drop in... but - and I say this with reserve - who is going to do the swap? This has all in the world to do with it, as a creative shop can works wonders with changing harnesses and electronics.

Point and Case: Two months ago, I swapped out a 2005 PT blown and dropped in a 2006 engine. Not a great task in your home garage, but do-able. With all of the harness connectors traded out and that pesky CPS moved, as well, it has been a good fit. I truly cannot speak for the 2002 engine as it has been awhile since I had that age.

·
Super Moderator
38,725 Posts
True.. no drop in... but - and I say this with reserve - who is going to do the swap? This has all in the world to do with it, as a creative shop can works wonders with changing harnesses and electronics.

Point and Case: Two months ago, I swapped out a 2005 PT blown and dropped in a 2006 engine. Not a great task in your home garage, but do-able. With all of the harness connectors traded out and that pesky CPS moved, as well, it has been a good fit. I truly cannot speak for the 2002 engine as it has been awhile since I had that age.
Not at all easy to swap an 2002/2007 engine as the crank tone wheels are different, meaning the crank needs swapped at a minimum - and they may not be interchangeable between the two blocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not at all easy to swap an 2002/2007 engine as the crank tone wheels are different, meaning the crank needs swapped at a minimum - and they may not be interchangeable between the two blocks.
Also true... I don't think that getting another car for the engine would be the financially good way to go. Personally, I have had far better luck ordering up an LKQ motor for the proper year and have it close to specs than the way our friend is contempating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts