Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this noise is in my Video?
2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 Stock 70,000 miles
Thanks

·
KOG
7,258 Posts
Does it still do it with the A/C and radio turned off? If so, try shifting it into a lower gear. Then steer it right and left. Drag the brakes lightly. Change the pressure in the tires considerably, maybe 20PSI instead of 35. but don't drive ti very far like that. Post back if any of those change the noise or don't.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, Looks like a nice ride. When you get a chance post some pics.

Try what KOG is saying to help narrow down the noise, I think it has something to do with the serpentine belt. Could be a hydraulic pump or A/C unit or a bearing attached to any part of the belt. Most of the time humming noise is a wheel bearing but the noise is surging so that why I think it's in the belt somewhere. Try moving each pully/bearing on the serpentine belt and if you have any play(side movement) that would be a good indicator.

·
KOG
7,258 Posts
Finding wierd noises can be extremely difficult. There are tools to help such as remote microphones you can place around the car. Those can be a little pricey, but when all else fails---. Sometimes having a pasenger who can move around inside the car and listen helps. Or you can lash your passenger to the hood or the trunk --- don't try this at home.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It sounds like a wheel bearing to me, but I'm NOT a mechanic, okay? I figured out a bad wheel bearing on my 2013 Chrysler 200 by crawling in the trunk and having my son drive me around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I noticed the noise comes and goes. Does it only hum when accelerating or coasting?

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
32,911 Posts
Possibly an idler pulley for the serpentine belt. Do you use the car regularly these days? If my truck sits for a couple of weeks, the idler pulley tends to make some noise for the first minute or two. Never does it when used often.

Reactions: multimopes

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,450 Posts
I would lean towards a wheel bearing as well. The tough part might be determining which one it is. Sound can bounce around. First, you need to determine whether the sound is coming from the front or rear and then which side.

Is the sound greater when turning? If the left front is bad it may make more noise when turning right. If the right front is bad, it may make more noise when turning left.

Usually you can determine a bad bearing by putting the vehicle on jack stands. Then grab the tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and try to move the tire top to bottom. If there is excess play, the bearing is bad. It should not move side to side. But this is not a 100% check. You can also spin the tire and listen for any grinding or odd noise.

Some bearings are serviced by replacing the hub (sealed unit). Others are pressed in.

·
KOG
7,258 Posts
I've had no luck finding bad unit bearings by shaking or listening off the ground. A couple of them I replaced were still fine turning them after they had been removed. Couldn't find a thing wrong with them except that they would growl when on the car under load. Turning right/left did help identify which one to suspect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions… noise is reproducible when the car is at running temp then decelerating then accelerating. Example 45mph down to 40 mph, during the re-acceleration from 40 to 45 is when the humming noise can be heard. Directionally the hum sound like its under the driver seat or toward the back I cannot hear the hum when parked and the hood up and revving the engine at low RPM. With the hood up I don’t here irregular sound from serpentine belt accessories. The car has to be moving to reproduce the hum. Driving with AC and radio off the hum can still be heard. There is no change in the hum when steering hard to the left / right. The hum has been heard for the last several months but now it is more reproducible (getting worse). The car is not a daily driver I just drive it once or twice a month because of front end work was needed.

Front end work completed: replaced tie rods, upper control arm, front brake rotors, wheel hub, on both sides of the car, Transmission fluid filter change and brake fluid. The local mechanic who performed the front-end work can hear the hum but not able to locate it. He spoke about using microphones. The local machinic will replace rear diff fluid on next visit soon

I think i am looking for a possible bad bearing ... just not sure were it is just yet

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions… noise is reproducible when the car is at running temp then decelerating then accelerating. Example 45mph down to 40 mph, during the re-acceleration from 40 to 45 is when the humming noise can be heard. Directionally the hum sound like its under the driver seat or toward the back I cannot hear the hum when parked and the hood up and revving the engine at low RPM. With the hood up I don’t here irregular sound from serpentine belt accessories. The car has to be moving to reproduce the hum. Driving with AC and radio off the hum can still be heard. There is no change in the hum when steering hard to the left / right. The hum has been heard for the last several months but now it is more reproducible (getting worse). The car is not a daily driver I just drive it once or twice a month because of front end work was needed.

Front end work completed: replaced tie rods, upper control arm, front brake rotors, wheel hub, on both sides of the car, Transmission fluid filter change and brake fluid. The local mechanic who performed the front-end work can hear the hum but not able to locate it. He spoke about using microphones. The local machinic will replace rear diff fluid on next visit soon

I think i am looking for a possible bad bearing ... just not sure were it is just yet
Sounds like the noise is only produced when something is under load. Could it be the pinion bearing in the rear end or even the rear universal joint? Just throwing something different out there for comments. It does sound like a bad wheel bearing, but the fact that the sound appears when accelerating back up to 45 makes me pause.

·
KOG
7,258 Posts
Put it on a lift and start looking/listening around drive shaft.

Reactions: Doug D and djsamuel

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Just throwing this out as a question: Is the 2006 300 rear end subject to the same loosening pinion nut that the Rams experienced and had the recall for? Some people who actually had the nut loosen reported a humming sound from the rear end. My 2009 Ram was recalled to have the retainer installed, but I never heard if it also extended to 2006 or any vehicle other than the Ram.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,450 Posts
As an original owner of a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, I never received a recall notice for the loosening pinion nut so I don't think it applied to the 2006 MY.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
As an original owner of a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, I never received a recall notice for the loosening pinion nut so I don't think it applied to the 2006 MY.
That's what I figured. Thanks. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts