Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,181 Posts
I would lean towards a wheel bearing as well. The tough part might be determining which one it is. Sound can bounce around. First, you need to determine whether the sound is coming from the front or rear and then which side.

Is the sound greater when turning? If the left front is bad it may make more noise when turning right. If the right front is bad, it may make more noise when turning left.

Usually you can determine a bad bearing by putting the vehicle on jack stands. Then grab the tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and try to move the tire top to bottom. If there is excess play, the bearing is bad. It should not move side to side. But this is not a 100% check. You can also spin the tire and listen for any grinding or odd noise.

Some bearings are serviced by replacing the hub (sealed unit). Others are pressed in.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,181 Posts
As an original owner of a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, I never received a recall notice for the loosening pinion nut so I don't think it applied to the 2006 MY.

Reactions: djsamuel
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.