Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tranny line blew off while driving and lots of fluid ran out. I pulled over fixed the problem and re filled tranny fluid. Slowly over next weeks or so tranny started acting up. Workin fine when cold then slowly stops completley. Wont move at all. Let it sit over night and it will work ok for a few minutes or about a mile then just quits. No forward no reverse. Nothing. Im lost

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Hate to say it, but I think it's fried. I think you're looking at a complete rebuild or replacement. However, before condemning it completely, try dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid again. Some debris might have clogged the filter from the clutch linings.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I agree that dropping the pan for an assessment is the next step. If the pressurized cooler hose blew off because of a plugged cooler, that will also have to be addressed.
Many times if the cooler is plugged with clutch/metallic debris, then the transmission is next to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have added that it really didnt start having issues untill I shifted out of 4 wheel into 2 wheel. It was imediate. As soon as I shifted out of 4 wheel it was like someone put it in nuetral but will move a little when cold. Dont know if this matters but I guess it was worth adding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I just found out they gave me the wrong fluid at Advance Auto. They gave me dexron 2 and atf+4. 4 quarts each. They said it wouldnt hurt the tranny or it could be a vacum leak but its odd I've drove it for years with no problem until I put that fluid in. Could be coincidence yes. Truck only has 98656k on it. But doubt its worth putting new tranny in it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
What year truck is this? Dexron II would still be OK for early 90s fully hydraulic transmissions, but later ones required ATF+3 or ATF+4.

I'd change the filter and put in all ATF+4 and see if it works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob Lincoln said:
What year truck is this? Dexron II would still be OK for early 90s fully hydraulic transmissions, but later ones required ATF+3 or ATF+4.

I'd change the filter and put in all ATF+4 and see if it works.
1994. I changed the filter and put in ATF+4. Worked great and I drove it about 15 miles and all of a sudden nothing. Just like you put it in neutral. No forward, no reverse. Nothing. Let it sit over night and start it up and it works ok for about a 1/4 mile then nothing. Just like nuetral.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I wonder if the coolant lines are plugged, and the pump is therefore suddenly not able to work.

You might try disconnecting the transmission coolant lines from the radiator, placing the ends of them into a bucket to catch the fluid, then starting the truck in neutral and seeing if you get a steady stream of fluid out, or if debris comes out, or if it halts. Be sure to have removed the dipstick and put a funnel in, and be ready to pour fluid in as it's coming out the lines, so the transmission won't run dry. If you're lucky, you might push out a clog this way.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
See if it will pull if you pull it down in low. I had a Jeep and a Dakota both with similar symptoms and both would pull in first after they got how but would not in drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob Lincoln said:
I wonder if the coolant lines are plugged, and the pump is therefore suddenly not able to work.

You might try disconnecting the transmission coolant lines from the radiator, placing the ends of them into a bucket to catch the fluid, then starting the truck in neutral and seeing if you get a steady stream of fluid out, or if debris comes out, or if it halts. Be sure to have removed the dipstick and put a funnel in, and be ready to pour fluid in as it's coming out the lines, so the transmission won't run dry. If you're lucky, you might push out a clog this way.
I took both lines off the tranny cooler (aftermarket) and fluid runs out of the supply line but not much pressure at all. I'm not sure excatly how much pressure it should have but it was not squirting it was running out. Put supply line back on cooler and fluid runs through cooler and out of return line connector but again not much pressure at all. Put lines back on and tranny and put it in reverse and it worked until I put it in drive then nothing. Didnt pull at all in drive. Put it back in reverse and nothing again. Tried low, second, drive, reverse nothing. Tried putting transfer case in an out of 4 wheel put no affect. Could it be in the valve body or shift linkage where it goes in tranny?

valiant67 said:
See if it will pull if you pull it down in low. I had a Jeep and a Dakota both with similar symptoms and both would pull in first after they got how but would not in drive.
Tried low, second, drive, reverse nothing.

·
Premium Member
20,078 Posts
Change the line and reroute it away from the exhaust a little better. There were problems from the line not being large enough and the exhaust pipe cooking the line, making it a spot to start plugging up, then the trans starts eating itself from lack of cooling. I recall a couple of these occuring a few years back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dana44 said:
Change the line and reroute it away from the exhaust a little better. There were problems from the line not being large enough and the exhaust pipe cooking the line, making it a spot to start plugging up, then the trans starts eating itself from lack of cooling. I recall a couple of these occuring a few years back.
Ok thanks will do

1 - 15 of 15 Posts