Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2003 Durango. He recently tried to get his emissions tested and was rejected because the "check engine" light is not functioning. I knew that it wasn't working, and had planned to fix it, but just had not gotten around to it.
So, I took apart the dash and pulled out the cluster board,,,i was expecting to be able to replace with $2 light bulb...but,what i found was that the bulb(s) for many of the gauges that light up when starting the car are actually soldered to the cluster board...I called my Dodge dealer and they say the boards cannot be repaired, i have to buy a new one for $900...Can this be? Is there not any way to fix that bulb?
Aside from the fact that we now realize the person we bought the Durango from, vandalized this car to avoid making a repair...i now might have to pay $900 just to pass emmissions, for a car that is running fine!!

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Is it actually an incandescent bulb or an LED? LEDs don't usually 'burn out'.
Dealer policy is probably to replace the cluster, not repair it.
If you or someone you know are handy with a soldering iron, the board should be repairable.
A used cluster should be available, if needed.
I have seen used car 'trade-ins' that had the 'ck eng' lamp snipped out or painted black.
A working 'ck eng' light is part of many state inspections. You also need the brake and seat belt lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Allpar. Is it actually an incandescent bulb or an LED? LEDs don't usually 'burn out'.
Dealer policy is probably to replace the cluster, not repair it.
If you or someone you know are handy with a soldering iron, the board should be repairable.
A used cluster should be available, if needed.
I have seen used cars that had the 'ck eng' lamp snipped out or painted black.
A working 'ck eng' light is part of many state inspections.
Thanks or your reply...i believe it is led,,,what i should have said in my original post is that someone had taken something, probably pliers, and removed the bulb from the cluster board, so there is just a nub where the bulb used to be. I have been studying DIY video's regarding soldering and it doesnt look too hard. THanks, again.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
You may be able to purchase a 'generic' LED to replace the one that has been disabled. I suspect that they may be 5 mm yellow LEDs?
For now, you could take one from a non-critical warning function and resolder it into the 'ck eng' position. Be aware that polarity is important to LEDs.
A used cluster is an option, but it will change the displayed odometer mileage. A used cluster could also be used as a donor for its LEDs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may be able to purchase a 'generic' LED to replace the one that has been disabled. I suspect that they may be 5 mm yellow LEDs?
For now, you could take one from a non-critical warning function and resolder it into the 'ck eng' position. Be aware that polarity is important to LEDs.
A used cluster is an option, but it will change the displayed odometer mileage. A used cluster could also be used as a donor for its LEDs.
Thanks..the bulb is white/clear....that is a good idea about taking one of the others...i was wondering where i would get an identical bulb to replace...there are like 6 other bulbs in a row, one for each of the warning lights that illuminate when starting the car, I could take one of those...Thanks, again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts