Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mate a modern automatic transmission such as the 545RFE, 45RFE, or W5A580/NAG1 to a 1970 small block 318 from a Duster. I know PCS makes standalone controllers and harnesses for the NAG1 and 545RFE, but I am not sure what would be necessary to get this to work if it's even possible.

I read over this thread and what I take from it is that the A, LA, and Gen III Hemi all share the same bellhousing pattern. Does this mean bolting a 545RFE to my 318 is possible?
Engine/transmission Bell Housings

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Kifo,

since obviously nobody knows about it, did you find any info/help to the topic elswhere? I would like to bolt a 360 LA to a NAG1 from a 5,7L gen3 hemi. My main concern is the flexplate, converter, starter issue. But I didnt even take a closer look to the parts by now.

Please let me know what you found out or which problems you ran into.

Thanks and greets
Diz

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but it seems to me that if you're going to try to use a modern trans with an older engine like that, you're going to need some computer control modules and the smarts how to wire it up and make it work properly. There's a lot more than bolting it up and installing it before it would properly work.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Premium Member
20,146 Posts
I know the 4 speed can attach to an engine independently but had not heard the 5 speed could.

Reactions: Volunteer

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
A500 or 42RH would be easiest to use, just a 12v supply and a switch for 4´rth gear. Bolts right up but needs cutting and trimming in the floorpan and tranny crossmember on older mopars.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I agree with previous two posts. A500 would be first choice and 518 as second. Friend has '72 Challenger with a 360, with factory console, and nothing is visible to indicate tranny upgrade - except for two small, black, round 'rocker-type' switches on inside raised part of console - to the right of T-handle. One switch for overdrive and other for converter 'lock-up'. Very discrete, functional and works great (with 3.70 rear gears). But, she purchased car already converted so I do not know the details - except for minimum structural mods underneath.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your answers!

as kifo mentioned in his first post, there are options for a standalone controller for a nag1 and i work with such things, so i think i can manage this.
but i have to attach the tranny to the engine somehow and want to know if there exist adapter solutions. gearstar has it, but only sells it with a whole transmission kit for just under 6000€ plus shipping to Europe and taxes and duty...
i already have the tranny and the whole car is a budget build. just dont want to design the flexplate on my own because its time consuming and expensive build.

i dont take a 46rh because they are hard to get in austria/europe and when you get one, they are more expensive than the newer/better nag1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts