Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, do we have a date for when the 8 speeds are supposed to be placed in the Hemi Charger's? I'll admit I haven't seen anything on them recently or even been to a dealership to check them out for a few months so maybe they're out and I missed it, but my brother's roommate was checking out a Charger R/T the other day and fell in love so I was trying to talk him into waiting for the 8 speed but I wasn't quite sure of a date to give him. I understand about the Pentastar and Ram demands taking presidence but I think he would like to get into it soon.

·
Registered
762 Posts
[SIZE=medium]If Chrysler really wants to be a luxury brand, they should put the eight speed hemi combo in the 300 as soon as possible. I think they should offer it in the 300 before the Charger. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
gezco said:
If Chrysler really wants to be a luxury brand, they should put the eight speed hemi combo in the 300 as soon as possible. I think they should offer it in the 300 before the Charger.
The real issue is availability.

I doubt you will see a Hemi 8-speed L-Series car before 2015.

Mike

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Mike V. said:
The real issue is availability.

I doubt you will see a Hemi 8-speed L-Series car before 2015.

Mike
I heard over a year ago that it would NOT be in the LX's until the redesign. It is my understanding ,that they are having a hard time getting the ZF to "fit" into the current LX.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
CJDsalespro said:
I heard over a year ago that it would NOT be in the LX's until the redesign. It is my understanding ,that they are having a hard time getting the ZF to "fit" into the current LX.
You mean "fit" with the Hemi in the LX? It fits fine with the Pentastar.

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts
oh2o said:
The 2011-up LX was designed to accommodate the 8-speed.
Is the issue purely one of production capacity in the transmission plant?

·
Registered
435 Posts
That is the case on the Challenger.

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
CJDsalespro said:
Total redesign, or next year's "refresh"?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would "think" a 8 speed trans behind a V6 is a light duty model and another HD model for the high torque engines. That said the HD model would be a much different trans ?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
GuidoFL said:
I would "think" a 8 speed trans behind a V6 is a light duty model and another HD model for the high torque engines. That said the HD model would be a much different trans ?
in kinda doubt the physical size of the 8hp45 is much different than the 8hp70 (higher torque capacity), but i'm not sure about that???

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would think the Hemi LX cars would use the same 8-speed transmission as the Hemi Ram/GC are using. As for availability of the 8-speed, Chrysler started in-house production about 2012 Nov/Dec; it shouldn't take more than six months to attain full prodution capacity unless something is very haywire. Or, if the production capacity is way too low in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
redhed said:
in kinda doubt the physical size of the 8hp45 is much different than the 8hp70 (higher torque capacity), but i'm not sure about that???
The 8hp70 is larger than the 8hp45, but the length is nearly identical.

·
Registered
179 Posts
2_Brew_Crew said:
Quick question, do we have a date for when the 8 speeds are supposed to be placed in the Hemi Charger's? I'll admit I haven't seen anything on them recently or even been to a dealership to check them out for a few months so maybe they're out and I missed it, but my brother's roommate was checking out a Charger R/T the other day and fell in love so I was trying to talk him into waiting for the 8 speed but I wasn't quite sure of a date to give him. I understand about the Pentastar and Ram demands taking presidence but I think he would like to get into it soon.
Even if the 8-speed becomes available in this generation of the LX, if your brothers roomate likes the Charger that much he should ask himself if paying that much more for an 8-speed will be worth it.... no, the sticker price would probably not be much more but I would wager the incentives, which are currently excellent on R/T, would not be nearly as good as they are now. The difference could be thousands $$$. I bought a base R/T last month and while the 5-speed is just adequate, it is not equipped with 'sport mode' which supposedly improves the sportiness of the trans. by a large degree. No matter, there are aftermarket handheld tuners like diablosport intune which firm up the shifts and alter shift points anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point. Thanks everyone.

Tommy Boy said:
Even if the 8-speed becomes available in this generation of the LX, if your brothers roomate likes the Charger that much he should ask himself if paying that much more for an 8-speed will be worth it.... no, the sticker price would probably not be much more but I would wager the incentives, which are currently excellent on R/T, would not be nearly as good as they are now. The difference could be thousands $$$. I bought a base R/T last month and while the 5-speed is just adequate, it is not equipped with 'sport mode' which supposedly improves the sportiness of the trans. by a large degree. No matter, there are aftermarket handheld tuners like diablosport intune which firm up the shifts and alter shift points anyway.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Repeat This.

Ramp Up.

Ramp Up.

Ramp Up.

Ramp Up.

Ramp Up.

Now Do You Understand.

TMD

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
A little place Kokomo, that's where wanna go.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Bodies in the sand...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts