Allpar Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,014 Posts
This is false. Chrysler has been recommending full synthetic for all 3G Hemi V8 engines for several years..
Maybe in later model years, but the owners manual for my 2006 does not specifically recommend "synthetic" oil. It states, "If you chose to use such a product, use only those oils that are API Certified and meet the SAE viscosity standard. Follow the service schedule that describes your driving type."

From page 485:
5.7L Engine Oil - Use SAE 5W-20, API Certified, meeting material standard MS-6395

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
632 Posts
Maybe in later model years, but the owners manual for my 2006 does not specifically recommend "synthetic" oil. It states, "If you chose to use such a product, use only those oils that are API Certified and meet the SAE viscosity standard. Follow the service schedule that describes your driving type."

From page 485:
5.7L Engine Oil - Use SAE 5W-20, API Certified, meeting material standard MS-6395
If memory serves, the first recommendation for synthetic engine lube was issued in spring of 2016, for the squads and SRT models. By 2018, they were recommending it across the board, for everything.

So, basically a "running change" kind of thing. My understanding is that one of the things they were trying to reduce the amount of wear during cold starts. 2016 was also one of the years they tried a revised lifter (and cam in the squads, although the part number stayed the same).

The only change since then was the reduction in oil change interval for the squads, which is now the 4,000 miles noted elsewhere in this thread. That's probably more because the squads have a tendency to carbon up (as if the lifter issue wasn't bad enough).

·
Registered
291 Posts
My takeaway from the video is that camshaft/follower lubrication on the 5.7 could be improved. Also, I'd like to hear from Chrysler engine designers about this 'issue'.

Tom

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,168 Posts
My ‘07 Jeep with the Hemi has not had lifter problems; I think the 1st run of these 2003-2007 had problems with the dropped valve seats more than the lifters. I discovered something about oil that was interesting:
Originally Mobil 1 was the factory fill in some Chrysler models like like the SRT Grand Cherokee. So I started using Mobil 1 when I bought it in 2009. Over the next few years Mobil 1 lost the Mopar cert; probably due to some falling out between FCA and Mobil. I kept using it all this time but thought of changing to Pennzoil Plat which we use in our ‘17 Wrangler (warrantee). Now if you look at the Mobil product data sheet for Mobil 1 it says meets or exceeds this spec. It makes you wonder what happened....

·
Registered
196 Posts
OK......he points out there is no flow through oil hole in the lifter body adjacent to the roller. Wouldn't a calibrated hole drilled into that part of the lifter body correct this???

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Just starting to pour oil up there isnt a good solution.
- you whant as little oil as possible to rain down on the crank.
It induses parasitic drag, aeration, higher oiltemps, higher load on the oil rings, higher oil consumption etc. Note that the Hemi is already blessed with heads that drains on the outside so the crank doesent have to fight its way aginst that oil.
A better way would be to design a lifter that doesent braek with the amount of lube it already has.
- ie a better bearing.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yep. 5W-20 is the recommended grade. It doesn't have to be synthetic. Conventional is acceptable. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 w/5.7L Hemit with over 274K miles and no lifter issues. For most of it's life I used conventional 5W-20. Only recently have I switched to 5W-20 synthetic. Need 5W-20 due to the MDS.
For cars yes .. but for Ram 6.4 VVT, MDS truck engines it's Full syn. 0W40 Penz oil, and for me in Northern Canada that oil is part of my warranty... that is the only oil I'll use and I have nothing but great things to say about the 6.4 truck Hemi, would be interesting to know which oil came in the 5.7 HD Truck Hemi that is VVT but not MDS

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
So it seems they are very sensitive to using the right oil. What oil would you put in a Hemi? 5w20 synthetic?
Yes, and no thicker, but a particular 20w and a particular 30w (particularly 5W-20 and 0W-30) can be so close in viscosity as to not matter aside from warranty claims, as long as all specs are met. In winter service, you can run a full syn (I think that's the only way they come) 0W-20 as long as all specs are met. Contrary to popular opinion, thinner oils are not bad for engines. Modern oils don't rely only on oil viscosity to protect against wear. Additive packages explain the expense in newer oils, because that's a huge part of how they work. In fact, the oil is an additive delivery mechanism as much as a lubricant. Friction Reducers and AW Additives - Bob is the Oil Guy

Sounds like the oil pressure being too low at idle could contribute to the issue.
Oil pressure is a function of viscosity and temperature in a given system, so oil pressure is really an indicator of proper oil flow rate, which is the actual issue, except that systems rely on being in a certain pressure range for proper dispersion at an aperture in a case where spray/exit flow patterns may be important. At least that's my SWAG understanding.

For cars yes .. but for Ram 6.4 VVT, MDS truck engines it's Full syn. 0W40
Food for post-warranty thought: some thick 5W-30s are so close to thin 0W-40s on the viscosity side, once you dig into what oil viscosity requirements are for a particular spec. I learned quite a bit about oil trying to maintain two European diesels in Jeeps. Putting the Simple Back into Viscosity - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,168 Posts
for people who like Mobil 1:
GL-XX-Mobil-1-5W-20.pdf
this suggests that the past lack of certification for Mopar MS 6395 has been rectified....
anyway I've used Mobil 1 since I bought the '07 Jeep Hemi in '09 when it had 25,000 on it, now has 115,000 on it, no lifter noise.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts