Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I don't know why not, it is an engine available to the charger to begin with. The couple things that may be different in the physical shape of things are the motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, and oil pump. Other things to look at are exactly what the transmission is for the Hemi charger and make the comparison as to what the Ram has.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
Possible? Probably but there's so much more to the swap than just the engine. You'd really need a complete Hemi car as a donor. At that point it would make much more sense just to sell the V6 car and buy one with a factory Hemi. Many of the V6 cars used a 4 speed auto, the Hemi used a 5 speed auto.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
As Mark posted, it certainly is possible, but probably not cost effective.

Would be easier and maybe cheaper to just find a Hemi-powered Charger than try to swap a Ram Hemi into a Charger. The Ram Hemi's are tuned differently - slightly more hp/torque than the Charger Hemi. At least in '06 they were - 345 hp in the Ram vs 340 hp in the Charger. Plus the Ram's used a different transmission (545RFE).

It's not like the old days when you could swap engines and they would bolt right up. There different transmissions and ECM/TCM's to deal with.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
The difference in power between the two is in the exhaust system, but I am not sure about the cam profiles, there may be a difference in the duration to have the truck power lower in the power band, so that would be something to investigate. It isn't an easy swap, mentioned the things to look at to verify they are the same/different, from there, if you have a good Hemi sitting around, the price is right, and a few pieces verified, most of it would be time involved in making it work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea thanks just curious my uncle wrecked his ram with hemi and pulled motor and trans plus has a couple other goodies on it and keeps telling me to quit foolin with v6 and swap but i was scared cause my car is one owner, paid for and low mileage and dont want to end up with some crap maybe just invest in supercharger and look to get another payment on a v8 ...plus been thinking bout throwing hemi in old stealth we got and makin it rwd

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Then you are gong to have to invest in a hood scoop for the Stealth. Wooohooo!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
The truck transmission won't work in the car so you'd still need a Hemi transmission and wiring and car-based computers. Basically a wrecked Hemi car for parts as I said above.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
Just put his Hemi drivetrain in my '92 Dakota Club Cab.. I won't complain....
I know you are probably joking, but doesn't stand a chance of happening. The Hemi won't fit in the Dakota. Period. End of discussion.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I was about ready to say the same thing, but give me a couple years after my other projects, I will prove it is capable of being done with a lot of work. Hahaha.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
It might fit with enough room for a backyard mechanic but not enough room for the OEM engineers and assembly processes.
Sort of like the 383/440 that "wouldn't fit" in the 1967/1968 Darts. I think the big block Dart engines were installed after the car left the standard production line, at least for some of the production.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Same with the 68 Barracuda Hemi convertibles, a shop was across the street from the assembly line, bodies pushed over on wheels and 50 of them were made. Word is it a sledgehammer was used to dimple the shock tower inner fenderwells to get them to fit.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I know you are probably joking, but doesn't stand a chance of happening. The Hemi won't fit in the Dakota. Period. End of discussion.
I'm only joking in that I'm sure you can find many homes for that drivetrain ahead of MY truck.. I've seen a few of the older Dakotas converted to the newer Hemis, but a 440 or 426 is actually an easier swap in them.. I am hoping to eventually be able to find a 6.1L for it; but there are so many projects ahead of that.
I would actually think to use it to replace your V6; a Charger harness and computer would simplify things but would probably still be a major project due to how intertwined the newer computer systems are.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
My comment was from the viewpoint that the average backyard mechanic would not be able to afford such a swap. Could it be done? Sure. Cost effective? Probably not. Anything can be done if spending gobs of money is not a concern.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts