Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
Charger also has a compromised rear entry, but it seems to sell very well. Profit is what killed the 200, or should I say, the opportunity cost?
This is true it was opportunity cost. However Charger has a standard for class 120" wheelbase, 200 was on a 108" wheelbase when the Ford Fusion was on a 112" wheelbase. There should have been a Dodge on a 108" wheelbase and a Chrysler on a 112" or 113" wheelbase.

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
Not as much size as poor layout, the roofline compromised entry into the front and rear seats. Once in, room wasn’t bad.
The problem with the 200 is it should have been a Dodge Avenger and the Chrysler should have been a version with a 4-5" longer wheelbase. There is room for a sporty short wheelbase midsize car, but it belongs at Dodge not Chrysler.

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
We agree on something again.
Admittedly a wheelbase change would have been a huge risk.
I think I would have done a Dodge sporty wagon (crossover between Cherokee and 200) and kept the 200 as it is... but if CAFE allowed, gone V6 only.
CAFE didn't allow. When Ford Fusion was doing a 1.5T and 2.0T on a 112" wheelbase since 2013 the huge risk was what they did, 108" wheelbase and NA engines without direct injection. They made a Buick Regal when they didn't have a Malibu/Fusion in the lineup.

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
Alfa DNA was an interesting sell. While technically true, sortakinda, they were trying to use a brand most Americans know only as "that car from that movie" and "that POS dead, on the side of the road" to sell a compact sedan. Some people would have bragged about how large it was, darned close to a midsize car, and made its weakness into its strength. It had a lot of cool features. It had better handling and ride than most competitors except the Aero. It was quieter inside unless you got the Aero. The FIRE engine was pretty cool on specs.

If any of that was advertised, I've forgotten it.
It was a midsize. A very small midsize, which some of the competition was as well.

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
It was compact, a very large compact at that. Here is a blurb from one of many articles "Invade the hotly contested, fast-growing compact-sedan class." In that same article they even go on and say "Size-wise, it straddles the compact/mid-size boundary." In the end, the size ended up hurting the car more than it helped. The dart was good at many things but just as bad with many things too. Mpg wasn't great for it's class and even its cargo capacity should have been better for it's size
Yep, just proves ignorant automotive journalists and marketers don't know what they are talking about. It was midsize at 110 cu ft, 7 cu ft more than the Neon. It said so right on the window sticker.

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
Well, I knew nothing about nothing back when the Dart was released, but if I put my current self into the year 2011 and 2012, I would've thought they'd produced a model with the 4C's 1.75 liter.
It was in the chassis starting in 2010 (for the Giulietta), and it obviously (to me, so probably not everyone else) could work for a GLH or something along those lines.
Would've made one extremely fun car.
That is the issue....they were testing an AWD SRT Dart. What was under the hood was unknown. If it was a new powertrain, they wasted a lot of money for all that to be thrown away.

I suggested the 2.4 Turbo from the Caliber only because they had all the tooling in hand and it would have cost the least. Your 1.75 from the 4C is a good idea, but would they have allowed an Alfa powertrain in a lowly Dodge? What did that engine cost to produce?
They could have saved a whole lot of money and still used the 1.75 turbo. The FWD Giulietta ran the same 1.75 turbo before the 4C ever came out. Just tack a trunk on the back of the Giulietta and a Dodge grill on the front and they could have had their car without developing CUSW from C-Evo. Then it would have been an actual compact. Of course to really sell well as a Dodge they should have retuned it for regular and offered an automatic transmission with it. But that engine was only 237 HP in European trim, no need for AWD.

They actually had an AWD Daytona under development before it was cancelled in favor of the Laser/Talon. The AWD turbo 4 cylinder Dodge car has kept evading the production line for 35 years now.

FWD turbo 4 cylinder Dodges over 200 HP include Daytona/Spirt RT, Neon SRT4 and Caliber SRT4.

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
The 10th gen Civic in particular I say more in hatch form than anything. I also thought Honda killed the coupe version of the Civic. I didn't even realize the Mazda 3 could be had in sedan form anymore.

The Dart in particular I feel like would have been a great liftback. Looking at the Fiat Viaggo hatch, I feel like that could have worked in the US.
Ottimo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.