Allpar Forums banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
992 Posts
That is the issue....they were testing an AWD SRT Dart. What was under the hood was unknown. If it was a new powertrain, they wasted a lot of money for all that to be thrown away.

I suggested the 2.4 Turbo from the Caliber only because they had all the tooling in hand and it would have cost the least. Your 1.75 from the 4C is a good idea, but would they have allowed an Alfa powertrain in a lowly Dodge? What did that engine cost to produce?
I don't know how much it cost to produce.
I do know, however, that if it can be found in a cheap Alfa hatchback, I bet it could be put into the Dart too haha

·
Registered
267 Posts
Chrysler has long been associated with poor transmissions among the FWD products going back decades,
I know people who still won't look at Chrysler products because of the early OD transmissions from the 80s and 90s. They failed early and Chrysler shafted everyone. My parents had an early 90s caravan that failed 200km out of the mileage warranty and they got shafted by Chrysler. I'm dealing with a questionable A500 myself right now 🤣

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,272 Posts
It was the "Don't touch my dart" and they made a decent amount of them.
We criticized them without mercy here. They were inane. Not as bad as the Gaffigan minivan ones. "I'm a crappy dad so I bought a Chrysler!"

I suggested the 2.4 Turbo from the Caliber only because they had all the tooling in hand and it would have cost the least. Your 1.75 from the 4C is a good idea, but would they have allowed an Alfa powertrain in a lowly Dodge? What did that engine cost to produce?
And would have had great nearly-instant-on torque while the 4C, while an impressive tour de force, would not have done well in the heavier Dart.
The 1.4 is great in a 500 Abarth, too.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2018 Ram 2500
300 Posts
I know people who still won't look at Chrysler products because of the early OD transmissions from the 80s and 90s. They failed early and Chrysler shafted everyone. My parents had an early 90s caravan that failed 200km out of the mileage warranty and they got shafted by Chrysler. I'm dealing with a questionable A500 myself right now 🤣
I have a friend that bought a Honda minivan over a Pacifica because of the transmission. I thought it was funny because Honda has had a lot of problems with their minivan transmission.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,491 Posts
Some people do not realize the damage that it did. On top of other transmission issues that other vehicles had as well at the time. So what did they do? They launched another dud that has managed to undo what small bit of progress had been made on the quality front drive line wise. What they should do is back their autos with a bullet proof warranty to try and persuade customers.

·
Super Moderator
40,848 Posts
Some people do not realize the damage that it did. On top of other transmission issues that other vehicles had as well at the time. So what did they do? They launched another dud that has managed to undo what small bit of progress had been made on the quality front drive line wise. What they should do is back their autos with a bullet proof warranty to try and persuade customers.
No, let's shorten the powertrain warranty. That way we can keep cost down.
Nothing like a problematic transmission and a shorter warranty to keep repeat buyers away.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Exactly.

Even if the company fixes the problem and uses the same transmission as a competitor, people that have had to spend their money on fixing a faulty item in the past will be less likely to risk buying from the company again.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Dart or 200 wouldn't had made it regardless of Power train.. Dart was Too heavy though it had better Passenger Volume than Leader Cruze. and 200 was to Small for its Competition.
Dart and 200 needed hatch/sportback variants to be competitive. I see more Civic and Mazda 3 hatches driving around than their sedan counterparts.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Dart and 200 needed hatch/sportback variants to be competitive. I see more Civic and Mazda 3 hatches driving around than their sedan counterparts.
The 10th gen Civic in particular I say more in hatch form than anything. I also thought Honda killed the coupe version of the Civic. I didn't even realize the Mazda 3 could be had in sedan form anymore.

The Dart in particular I feel like would have been a great liftback. Looking at the Fiat Viaggo hatch, I feel like that could have worked in the US.

·
Banned
3,135 Posts
The 10th gen Civic in particular I say more in hatch form than anything. I also thought Honda killed the coupe version of the Civic. I didn't even realize the Mazda 3 could be had in sedan form anymore.

The Dart in particular I feel like would have been a great liftback. Looking at the Fiat Viaggo hatch, I feel like that could have worked in the US.
Ottimo.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.