Allpar Forums banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
691 Posts
That is the issue....they were testing an AWD SRT Dart. What was under the hood was unknown. If it was a new powertrain, they wasted a lot of money for all that to be thrown away.

I suggested the 2.4 Turbo from the Caliber only because they had all the tooling in hand and it would have cost the least. Your 1.75 from the 4C is a good idea, but would they have allowed an Alfa powertrain in a lowly Dodge? What did that engine cost to produce?
I don't know how much it cost to produce.
I do know, however, that if it can be found in a cheap Alfa hatchback, I bet it could be put into the Dart too haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
Chrysler has long been associated with poor transmissions among the FWD products going back decades,
I know people who still won't look at Chrysler products because of the early OD transmissions from the 80s and 90s. They failed early and Chrysler shafted everyone. My parents had an early 90s caravan that failed 200km out of the mileage warranty and they got shafted by Chrysler. I'm dealing with a questionable A500 myself right now 🤣

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,173 Posts
It was the "Don't touch my dart" and they made a decent amount of them.
We criticized them without mercy here. They were inane. Not as bad as the Gaffigan minivan ones. "I'm a crappy dad so I bought a Chrysler!"

I suggested the 2.4 Turbo from the Caliber only because they had all the tooling in hand and it would have cost the least. Your 1.75 from the 4C is a good idea, but would they have allowed an Alfa powertrain in a lowly Dodge? What did that engine cost to produce?
And would have had great nearly-instant-on torque while the 4C, while an impressive tour de force, would not have done well in the heavier Dart.
The 1.4 is great in a 500 Abarth, too.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Anything can be put into any car. It comes down to time and money
This has been demonstrated many times. Of course many times an automaker can't put it in there and either pass the crash tests or make a profit by doing so.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts