Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want some opinions on high mileage oil, they say it helps valve seals and whatnot, just want some suggestions on it

thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I just use a good premium motor oil and a factory filter. 'High-Mileage' is a common marketing ploy that sure sounds pretty. Synthetic motor oil blends may offer some advantages in heavy-duty/high-temperature applications.
Are you having valve seal issues? What engine?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I plan to run Shell Rotella T in my rebuilt 360-turned-408 stroker, because of the hydraulic flat tappet cam and no-roller-anything. Modern conventional oils lack the heavy metals that helped lubricate those high-pressure bearing surfaces, and I wiped a cam lobe on the old engine in the car because of that.

If an engine is all-roller, I don't expect it to be as big of a problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes valve seal issues on an 89 318 tbi. burning some oil look like just on the left side of the engine. just some blue on the left exhaust side

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Start with a quality motor oil. HDEO is a good oil. I wouldn't go higher viscosity than 10W-40, I see some people go 20W-50 to slow oil consumption instead of servicing the engine.
Do a dry/wet compression test to make sure that the rings are ok.
Valve seals are fairly easy to do on a 318. Hand tools, a simple valve spring compressor and compressed air to hold the valves up during the operation one cylinder at a time. You may find hardened rubber exhaust valve seals from the heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i just did an oil change on mine and I used Penzoil High Mileage 5-30. It didn't seem to hurt it at all and i have some blue out my exhaust too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts