Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
The interior looks great.

The standard safety-tech is catching up to the competition that offers it standard while Jeep made it an option package.

The 2.4 is an awful motor. No mention of the 1.3T or the 4xe in this article. The 1.3T is awful in a vehicle this heavy. The 4xe offers more power and economy, so it might be much nicer.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and tlc

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I have a 2.4 in my 18 Compass.
No issues at all. Have 23k on it. Gets high 20s in city driving.
Hardly “awful”!

I guess you didn’t like yours?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
619 Posts
Hardly “awful”!

Generally it's because it's NVH is very bad compared to just about every other I4 produced since 2000.
I'd assume that's part of the reason why.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Hardly “awful”!

I agree with what @World14 said. NVH is inferior to nearly every other 4 cylinder out there.

It is lethargic in performance for most people. Some might be OK with a slow poke vehicle, but those of us who have had 4.0 I6 and Hemi Jeeps find the Compass and Renegade to be disappointments. I have driven multiple versions of both, including diesel versions in the EU. None were inspiring.

I am happy for you. But you do not seem to represent the consensus on this.

·
Super Moderator
38,318 Posts
So it is good to see them following through on bumping up features (something they started last year or so on other models).
If Jeep really wants to be seen as a luxury make, there is no excuse to be charging for safety features that have been standard on a lowly Toyota Corolla or RAV4 for a few years.

As for the 2.4 engine? I wasn't impressed with it in the vehicles I've owned and rented. It was adequate at best. I never had one of the oil burners, but that was one of the issues FCA waited far too long to address. The 2.4 has a terrible reputation on Jeep boards because of the oil use problem. My friend got a bad one in his Compass (his first and only Jeep). He's now driving a Hyundai.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
619 Posts
Wow, this car is getting crapped on. Personally, I think this Compass is a big step in the right direction. Looks great, inside and out.
It's all powertrain related. People were expecting the 1.3T from the Renegade, and hopefully a 4XE hybrid.
This is similar to the Cherokee update: improvements in some areas, and barely updating anything else. Biggest difference between the two updates I mentioned is the Cherokee got the 2.0T, and it didn't even replace anything. They added it to the line up, giving it a Dart-like feel.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I’ve driven original 426 hemi cars and newer hemi versions.
Of course a 2.4 isn’t in the same ballpark!
As far as NVH, it’s ok.
Certainly, it’s better than the old bullet proof 2010 Sebring we had!

Reactions: LHS

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Only Chrysler or Stellantis NA, would keep the one thing that they continue to get trashed on. The 2.4L. The L in this case stands for lazy. As a base engine, maybe. As a premium offering in a new lux version? Are they that dumb?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
619 Posts
I’ve driven original 426 hemi cars and newer hemi versions.
Of course a 2.4 isn’t in the same ballpark!
As far as NVH, it’s ok.
Certainly, it’s better than the old bullet proof 2010 Sebring we had!
I have a 2.4L World I4 in my Compass.
I've also driving the Multi-Air 2.4's.
Those Multi-Air's are worse.

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
Only Chrysler or Stellantis NA, would keep the one thing that they continue to get trashed on. The 2.4L. The L in this case stands for lazy. As a base engine, maybe. As a premium offering in a new lux version? Are they that dumb?
No, not only Chrysler or Stellantis. GM discontinued the up level engine option on the Equinox and Terrain, leaving only the underpowered 1.5L 4-cylinder, even through the 2022 refreshes. They added an RS model with sporty looks, but discontinued the "sporty" engine. Makes about as much sense as leaving the awful 2.4L in the Compass.

NVH in the 2.4L is terrible. I'm hoping they improved sound deadening or something in this refresh to help mask some of the issues. The power delivery is not good either, but that would be tolerable if the engine didn't feel so coarse.

Also - "Latitude LUX" is just a trim level name. It slots in the middle of the lineup. High Altitude is the top and was already a trim level on the pre-refresh Compass.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
No, not only Chrysler or Stellantis. GM discontinued the up level engine option on the Equinox and Terrain, leaving only the underpowered 1.5L 4-cylinder, even through the 2022 refreshes. They added an RS model with sporty looks, but discontinued the "sporty" engine. Makes about as much sense as leaving the awful 2.4L in the Compass.

NVH in the 2.4L is terrible. I'm hoping they improved sound deadening or something in this refresh to help mask some of the issues. The power delivery is not good either, but that would be tolerable if the engine didn't feel so coarse.

Also - "Latitude LUX" is just a trim level name. It slots in the middle of the lineup. High Altitude is the top and was already a trim level on the pre-refresh Compass.
It needed counter rotating balance shafts, direct injection and a turbo option in 2013. Now it just needs to go.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Wow, this car is getting crapped on. Personally, I think this Compass is a big step in the right direction. Looks great, inside and out.
No, it is not getting crapped on.

The interior is getting near universal praise (except for the infotainment screen, which is personal taste).

The inclusion of standard safety technology is long past due and welcome in this refresh.

But by not offering a change to the worst part of the Compass, the powertrain, shows that the company is tone-deaf.

A refresh is supposed to correct the flaws from the initial product.

Where is the 4xe? Big EV Day and no Compass 4xe in the US while all its competitiors offer hybrids.

Therefore, despite all the positive changes, do not expect sales to improve.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
This Compass refresh for North America indicates the people in Auburn Hills are still Sergio stooges rather than independent thinkers.

I hope Tavares does not wait too long to start making changes.

I like Christian Meunier, but he is off talking about Wranglers that can drive underwater while approving this Compass refresh?

Maybe his hands were tied, but I am not willing to give him many more chances.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Tone deaf is an understatement. If it was a Wrangler or Ram they'd have a supercharger on it, but something not thought up by them gets a lukewarm do over. Sergio holdovers? Or plain arrogance? Maybe both. Legends in their own minds.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
619 Posts
This Compass refresh for North America indicates the people in Auburn Hills are still Sergio stooges rather than independent thinkers.

I hope Tavares does not wait too long to start making changes.

I like Christian Meunier, but he is off talking about Wranglers that can drive underwater while approving this Compass refresh?

Maybe his hands were tied, but I am not willing to give him many more chances.
Only pass I'm going to give him is if he admits that 2025/2026 is new Compass time: it'd make sense to not waste money improving something you'll only going to have for 4 years if the jump is going to be hybrid/BEV only that quickly.
Even still, that sounds like too much time for that.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Only pass I'm going to give him is if he admits that 2025/2026 is new Compass time: it'd make sense to not waste money improving something you'll only going to have for 4 years if the jump is going to be hybrid/BEV only that quickly.
Even still, that sounds like too much time for that.
The PHEV is engineered and going on sale now in other markets.

It is insane not to get economies of scale by sharing powertrain components....especially electrification powertrain components.

This failure by Auburn Hills demonstrates why we need Tavares in charge, forcing the logical sharing that is not obvious to the gang that can't shoot straight.

Reactions: David S and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Sankta Tavares, the ultimate cost cutter.

I'm wondering how can Le cost cutter be a solution.

PHEV comes at premium.
Most likely Toluca is not ready for it. It would require new tooling due to high voltage.
Then there is a question can it produce AWD and 4xe systems simultaneously. If it can how much cost would it add.
And the last. Let's not forget that 4xe adds significant costs.

For me more important question would be something else. New base engine and transmission combo.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts