Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Sankta Tavares, the ultimate cost cutter.

I'm wondering how can Le cost cutter be a solution.

PHEV comes at premium.
Most likely Toluca is not ready for it. It would require new tooling due to high voltage.
Then there is a question can it produce AWD and 4xe systems simultaneously. If it can how much cost would it add.
And the last. Let's not forget that 4xe adds significant costs.

For me more important question would be something else. New base engine and transmission combo.
Clearly, Saint Sergio did not setup Toluca properly with forward thinking if they cannot handle PHEV powertrains even though they have been planned for Compass from the beginning.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought my daughter a used 2018 Compass Latitude with a 6 speed manual (Jeep Certified Pre-Owned) as her high school grad present a couple of months ago. I find it a fun car to drive and she loves it. It's intended use is to get to and through Penn State over the next handful of years. It fits her needs above and beyond. Just my two cents

Reactions: danbek

·
Registered
170 Posts
No, it is not getting crapped on.

The interior is getting near universal praise (except for the infotainment screen, which is personal taste).

The inclusion of standard safety technology is long past due and welcome in this refresh.

But by not offering a change to the worst part of the Compass, the powertrain, shows that the company is tone-deaf.

A refresh is supposed to correct the flaws from the initial product.

Where is the 4xe? Big EV Day and no Compass 4xe in the US while all its competitiors offer hybrids.

Therefore, despite all the positive changes, do not expect sales to improve.
You make a nice factfree statement there implying all of Compass competitors in the US offer Hybrids.
First of all a PHEV is much more expensive than a HEV so the comparison is flawed from the beginning but let´s indulge in the statement:
Every Jeep Compass competitor in the US Subcompact SUV/CUV segment is offered with a Hybrid:
Ford Bronco Sport isn´t.
Ford Ecosport isn´t
Chevrolet Trax isn´t
Chevrolet Trailblazer isn´t
Honda HR-V isn´t
Toyota CH-R isn´t
Subaru Crosstrek actually is available as a PHEV (It starts at $ 35345 versus a Compass Trackhawk starting at $ 31640 so it has a price)
Nissan Kicks isn´t
Nissan Rogue Sport isn´t
Mazda CX-3 isn´t
Mazda CX-30 isn´t
Mitsubishi Eclipse isn´t
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport isn´t
Volkswagen Taos isn´t
Then if you want to say the Kia Niro and Hyundai Kona are competitors to the Jeep Compass: The Niro is available as a PHEV and the Kona is available as a BEV.

So i would say this statement is incorrect.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
You make a nice factfree statement there implying all of Compass competitors in the US offer Hybrids.
First of all a PHEV is much more expensive than a HEV so the comparison is flawed from the beginning but let´s indulge in the statement:
Every Jeep Compass competitor in the US Subcompact SUV/CUV segment is offered with a Hybrid:
Ford Bronco Sport isn´t.
Ford Ecosport isn´t
Chevrolet Trax isn´t
Chevrolet Trailblazer isn´t
Honda HR-V isn´t
Toyota CH-R isn´t
Subaru Crosstrek actually is available as a PHEV (It starts at $ 35345 versus a Compass Trackhawk starting at $ 31640 so it has a price)
Nissan Kicks isn´t
Nissan Rogue Sport isn´t
Mazda CX-3 isn´t
Mazda CX-30 isn´t
Mitsubishi Eclipse isn´t
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport isn´t
Volkswagen Taos isn´t
Then if you want to say the Kia Niro and Hyundai Kona are competitors to the Jeep Compass: The Niro is available as a PHEV and the Kona is available as a BEV.

So i would say this statement is incorrect.
If I said "every", then that was a mistake.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sankta Tavares, the ultimate cost cutter.

I'm wondering how can Le cost cutter be a solution.

PHEV comes at premium.
Most likely Toluca is not ready for it. It would require new tooling due to high voltage.
Then there is a question can it produce AWD and 4xe systems simultaneously. If it can how much cost would it add.
And the last. Let's not forget that 4xe adds significant costs.

For me more important question would be something else. New base engine and transmission combo.
I think the engine they want to bring to the US for the Compass is not ready.
It will come out with the Alfa Tonale launch. That 48v 1.5 MHEV would make much more sense in the Compass for the US market than the current 1.3.
Then the question is do you export the 1.3 GSE to Mexico and certify it for 1 model year or do you just certify once when the new 1.5 GSE solution is available.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
I think the engine they want to bring to the US for the Compass is not ready.
It will come out with the Alfa Tonale launch. That 48v 1.5 MHEV would make much more sense in the Compass for the US market than the current 1.3.
Then the question is do you export the 1.3 GSE to Mexico and certify it for 1 model year or do you just certify once when the new 1.5 GSE solution is available.
Renegade and Compass 4xe are on sale in other markets.

NEW Jeep Compass 4XE (Facelift) Full Review - See how much better it actually is! - Bing video

If they are only going to build it for a year or two then switch to the 1.5T, that is inefficient. But we should not be surprised from the gang that can't shoot straight.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Renegade and Compass 4xe are on sale in other markets.

NEW Jeep Compass 4XE (Facelift) Full Review - See how much better it actually is! - Bing video

If they are only going to build it for a year or two then switch to the 1.5T, that is inefficient. But we should not be surprised from the gang that can't shoot straight.
To be clear, i spoke of the 48v 1.5 MHEV as a replacement for the base engine at this time (2.4 4-cylinder).
And then more specifically the choice between keeping the 2.4 for MY 2022 and then bringing the new 1.5 for MY 2023 or bringing the current 1.3 out for the 2022MY and then keeping that or replacing that again in 2023MY).
In my opinion there is a good argument to be made to not bringing the 1.3 for 1 model year and then replacing it with a better engine.
Off Course if the plan is that the Compass will never get another engine option for the rest of it´s life (should be around for 3 or 4 more years) that would not be good.
Right now the only vehicles still using the 2.4 4-cylinder are the Renegade, Compass, Cherokee and ProMaster City.
The Renegade and Compass will continue in production in Melfi untill 2024. The Compass has had it´s final MCA this year. The Renegade is supposed to get it´s second MCA very soon (remember that it´s replacement was originally planned for 2022CY). The Cherokee was also planned to be replaced in 2022CY. There should be either a replacement or a second MCA for the Cherokee soon.
Is the 2.4 still built in Saltillo and Dundee? Could Dundee and or Saltillo switch over to the GSE engine family. The new 48v 1.5 should in theory be perfectly suitable for compact and subcompact vehicles in the US.
Timing wise it could make sense to do it in 2022 with a Cherokee replacement/update and a Renegade update. The Compass update would still be relatively fresh coming at the end of 2021 and would get another boost for the 2023MY with a new engine.

The PHEV question is seperate to this. This would be a high end option. As you say the 4XE is very much on offer in Europe. And for this market there is a strong supply/demand for it because of regulations, fines, tax incentives, high fuel prices, high vehicle prices etc.
In the US the subcompact CUV/SUV segment is much smaller and seems to be much more price sensitive than the compact segment.
The offer of PHEV´s in that subcompact segment in the US compared to the compact segment seems to reflect that.
The good thing is that if the demand get´s there they will be able to supply from Europe pretty quickly. (I think the 4xe version of the Compass has been promised for 2023 in the US if i´m not mistaken, i do not know if that is CY or MY).

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
75 Posts
I bought my daughter a used 2018 Compass Latitude with a 6 speed manual (Jeep Certified Pre-Owned) as her high school grad present a couple of months ago. I find it a fun car to drive and she loves it. It's intended use is to get to and through Penn State over the next handful of years. It fits her needs above and beyond. Just my two cents
We had a 2018 Compass Trailhawk for almost 3 years. Loved it. Never had a major issue and to be honest the engine and transmission didn't bother me in the slightest. We only traded it because we wanted a Wrangler and the 4XE came out. Otherwise we would still have it. If they don't sell the Compass 4XE in North America, they are really missing the boat. With the interior refresh and 4XE package we might even buy another one when my wife's job gets moved to the boonies from downtown and she need a vehicle to commute.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
To be clear, i spoke of the 48v 1.5 MHEV as a replacement for the base engine at this time (2.4 4-cylinder).
And then more specifically the choice between keeping the 2.4 for MY 2022 and then bringing the new 1.5 for MY 2023 or bringing the current 1.3 out for the 2022MY and then keeping that or replacing that again in 2023MY).
In my opinion there is a good argument to be made to not bringing the 1.3 for 1 model year and then replacing it with a better engine.
Off Course if the plan is that the Compass will never get another engine option for the rest of it´s life (should be around for 3 or 4 more years) that would not be good.
Right now the only vehicles still using the 2.4 4-cylinder are the Renegade, Compass, Cherokee and ProMaster City.
The Renegade and Compass will continue in production in Melfi untill 2024. The Compass has had it´s final MCA this year. The Renegade is supposed to get it´s second MCA very soon (remember that it´s replacement was originally planned for 2022CY). The Cherokee was also planned to be replaced in 2022CY. There should be either a replacement or a second MCA for the Cherokee soon.
Is the 2.4 still built in Saltillo and Dundee? Could Dundee and or Saltillo switch over to the GSE engine family. The new 48v 1.5 should in theory be perfectly suitable for compact and subcompact vehicles in the US.
Timing wise it could make sense to do it in 2022 with a Cherokee replacement/update and a Renegade update. The Compass update would still be relatively fresh coming at the end of 2021 and would get another boost for the 2023MY with a new engine.

The PHEV question is seperate to this. This would be a high end option. As you say the 4XE is very much on offer in Europe. And for this market there is a strong supply/demand for it because of regulations, fines, tax incentives, high fuel prices, high vehicle prices etc.
In the US the subcompact CUV/SUV segment is much smaller and seems to be much more price sensitive than the compact segment.
The offer of PHEV´s in that subcompact segment in the US compared to the compact segment seems to reflect that.
The good thing is that if the demand get´s there they will be able to supply from Europe pretty quickly. (I think the 4xe version of the Compass has been promised for 2023 in the US if i´m not mistaken, i do not know if that is CY or MY).
Toyota Rav4 Prime is one of the fastest selling vehicles in North America. PHEVs are growing rapidly in North America and FCA is far behind. Now, the company need to play follow the leaders again.

Other than the interior improvements, this Compass refresh is a disappointment.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Toyota Rav4 Prime is one of the fastest selling vehicles in North America. PHEVs are growing rapidly in North America and FCA is far behind. Now, the company need to play follow the leaders again.

Compass MCA has brought much more than interior improvements.

You should check press release.

Actually some of it is available on European made Compass for some time and predates Compass MCA.

For example driving dynamics is improved as is steering feel.

·
Super Moderator
7,069 Posts
Compass MCA has brought much more than interior improvements.

You should check press release.

Actually some of it is available on European made Compass for some time and predates Compass MCA.

For example driving dynamics is improved as is steering feel.
I could even live without the 4xe for a little while longer if they'd improved the powertrain. The 2.4 has long outlived its welcome. That is the main mechanical thing that needed to be improved.

The 1.3 turbo has the same horsepower and an additional 38 lb-ft of torque and gets 2 more combined MPG in the Renegade 4WD. That would be a small but welcome improvement.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I could even live without the 4xe for a little while longer if they'd improved the powertrain. The 2.4 has long outlived its welcome. That is the main mechanical thing that needed to be improved.
Maybe it's all about price and margins?

I would not exclude possibility that cars like Compass are able to have higher margin in Europe than in the US.

Of course, I do agree that 2.4 should be replaced but IMO not much would change if they just switch to a new engine while keeping same old 9 speed automatic.

·
Super Moderator
7,069 Posts
Maybe it's all about price and margins?

I would not exclude possibility that cars like Compass are able to have higher margin in Europe than in the US.

Of course, I do agree that 2.4 should be replaced but IMO not much would change if they just switch to a new engine while keeping same old 9 speed automatic.
The engine is terribly rough and unrefined, not to mentioned underpowered. The lineup should consist of a standard 1.3 turbo on all trims and optional 1.3 PHEV on Latitude, Limited, and Trailhawk.

I don't really care about their price and margins as long as they are offering this sub-par engine. I have strong feelings about it. It is not competitive and is a bad experience.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
The engine is terribly rough and unrefined, not to mentioned underpowered. The lineup should consist of a standard 1.3 turbo on all trims and optional 1.3 PHEV on Latitude, Limited, and Trailhawk.

I don't really care about their price and margins as long as they are offering this sub-par engine. I have strong feelings about it. It is not competitive and is a bad experience.
I agree with you.

I would like to see the 2.0T go into the Compass as an option. Ford offers their 2.0T in the Bronco Sport, Escape and Maverick. It is a powertrain that is here now and ready for North America.

It is very disappointing that FCA decided to ignore the powertrain in the refresh. This will keep Compass a fleet queen and heavy incentive product.

·
Super Moderator
7,069 Posts
I agree with you.

I would like to see the 2.0T go into the Compass as an option. Ford offers their 2.0T in the Bronco Sport, Escape and Maverick. It is a powertrain that is here now and ready for North America.

It is very disappointing that FCA decided to ignore the powertrain in the refresh. This will keep Compass a fleet queen and heavy incentive product.
Hmm, I don't know about the 2.0T. The 4xe with 240 horsepower could be plenty for this segment. If they're unable to offer it for some reason though, a 1.3T + 2.0T lineup would also be okay.

In any case, the 2.4 has to go.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Hmm, I don't know about the 2.0T. The 4xe with 240 horsepower could be plenty for this segment. If they're unable to offer it for some reason though, a 1.3T + 2.0T lineup would also be okay.

In any case, the 2.4 has to go.
The 2.0T is great if you do not have the 4xe. I have said that the 4xe would give plenty of power for the Compass and Renegade, but the lack of wisdom in Auburn Hills is on display once again.

Reactions: jclick and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
696 Posts
If a 2.0T Compass should exist, it should be as either a Trailhawk and/or Rally trim specific engine.
To borrow a list of Compass competitors:
Ford Bronco Sport
Ford Ecosport
Chevrolet Trax
Chevrolet Trailblazer
Honda HR-V
Toyota CH-R
Subaru Crosstrek
Nissan Kicks
Nissan Rogue Sport
Mazda CX-3
Mazda CX-30
Mitsubishi Eclipse (Cross)
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Volkswagen Taos
The Bronco Sport is the only one I see that makes more then 200hp.
A new base motor and a 4XE is all the Compass needs.
That 2.0T, and some lesser (or non) geared, not-a-hybrid FWD transmission, are definitely not needed unless Jeep goes full throttle into off-roading anything with any model.

·
Super Moderator
7,069 Posts
If a 2.0T Compass should exist, it should be as either a Trailhawk and/or Rally trim specific engine.
To borrow a list of Compass competitors:

The Bronco Sport is the only one I see that makes more then 200hp.
A new base motor and a 4XE is all the Compass needs.
That 2.0T, and some lesser (or non) geared, not-a-hybrid FWD transmission, are definitely not needed unless Jeep goes full throttle into off-roading anything with any model.
CX-30 has an optional 2.5 turbo with around 250 horsepower on premium fuel. Though that isn't really what I'd call a direct competitor.

They may be reserving the powerful optional engine for Dodge, since the Hornet will be around this size as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts

About FCA/Stellantis being far behind is relative. They seem to have the bestselling PHEV on the market in the US right now with the Wrangler 4XE. The Pacifica PHEV has been on the market for many years now. As i showed you earlier in the Subcompact field in the US there are virtually no PHEV offerings where FCA has two vehicles on the market allready. It´s a matter of when the US market wants them enough to pay for them.
When i look at what is on offer in the US PHEV wise it´s not overwhelming (looking at the mainstream brands):
Chevrolet: No PHEV available
Ford: Escape PHEV
GMC: No PHEV available
Toyota: Prius Prime, RAV4 Prime
Subaru: Crosstrek Hybrid
Nissan: No PHEV available
Honda: Clarity PHEV
Mazda: No PHEV available
Mitsubishi: Outlander PHEV
Volkswagen: No PHEV available
Hyundai: Ioniq PHEV, (Santa Fe PHEV coming in 2022)
Kia: Niro PHEV

Frankly i didn´t know it was this bad.
I´ve just looked at the mainstream brands and if you look at it Stellantis actually has the most new PHEV models on the market in the US together with Toyota and Hyundai/Kia.
We know that at the end of this year the Grand Cherokee PHEV will come out and the (Grand) Wagoneer PHEV will follow not too long after that. (Short and long wheelbase versions).

21 - 40 of 150 Posts