Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
About FCA/Stellantis being far behind is relative. They seem to have the bestselling PHEV on the market in the US right now with the Wrangler 4XE. The Pacifica PHEV has been on the market for many years now. As i showed you earlier in the Subcompact field in the US there are virtually no PHEV offerings where FCA has two vehicles on the market allready. It´s a matter of when the US market wants them enough to pay for them.
When i look at what is on offer in the US PHEV wise it´s not overwhelming (looking at the mainstream brands):
Chevrolet: No PHEV available
Ford: Escape PHEV
GMC: No PHEV available
Toyota: Prius Prime, RAV4 Prime
Subaru: Crosstrek Hybrid
Nissan: No PHEV available
Honda: Clarity PHEV
Mazda: No PHEV available
Mitsubishi: Outlander PHEV
Volkswagen: No PHEV available
Hyundai: Ioniq PHEV, (Santa Fe PHEV coming in 2022)
Kia: Niro PHEV

Frankly i didn´t know it was this bad.
I´ve just looked at the mainstream brands and if you look at it Stellantis actually has the most new PHEV models on the market in the US together with Toyota and Hyundai/Kia.
We know that at the end of this year the Grand Cherokee PHEV will come out and the (Grand) Wagoneer PHEV will follow not too long after that. (Short and long wheelbase versions).
About FCA/Stellantis being far behind is relative. They seem to have the bestselling PHEV on the market in the US right now with the Wrangler 4XE. The Pacifica PHEV has been on the market for many years now. As i showed you earlier in the Subcompact field in the US there are virtually no PHEV offerings where FCA has two vehicles on the market allready. It´s a matter of when the US market wants them enough to pay for them.
When i look at what is on offer in the US PHEV wise it´s not overwhelming (looking at the mainstream brands):
Chevrolet: No PHEV available
Ford: Escape PHEV
GMC: No PHEV available
Toyota: Prius Prime, RAV4 Prime
Subaru: Crosstrek Hybrid
Nissan: No PHEV available
Honda: Clarity PHEV
Mazda: No PHEV available
Mitsubishi: Outlander PHEV
Volkswagen: No PHEV available
Hyundai: Ioniq PHEV, (Santa Fe PHEV coming in 2022)
Kia: Niro PHEV

Frankly i didn´t know it was this bad.
I´ve just looked at the mainstream brands and if you look at it Stellantis actually has the most new PHEV models on the market in the US together with Toyota and Hyundai/Kia.
We know that at the end of this year the Grand Cherokee PHEV will come out and the (Grand) Wagoneer PHEV will follow not too long after that. (Short and long wheelbase versions).
You omit the hybrids that all these companies offered for almost a decade while FCA discontined the Aspen/Durango hybrid.

Please do not count mild hybrids like the e-torque that are useless.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The counter would be that the old 2.4 should be easier and less expensive to repair as its a less complex design than any turbo engine. So I'd expect cost of ownership to be lower.
Doesn't toyota and Hyundai use the same approach with their entry offerings...which the Compass is?
I do agree a 2.0L turbo option would have been nice...but for base power, I prefer a simple NA engine over a turbo variant.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You omit the hybrids that all these companies offered for almost a decade while FCA discontined the Aspen/Durango hybrid.

Please do not count mild hybrids like the e-torque that are useless.
No, i didn´t omit the hybrids, i responded to your statement:
"PHEVs are growing rapidly in North America and FCA is far behind. Now, the company need to play follow the leaders again."
You mentioned the RAV4 Prime as one of the prime examples of these increasingly popular vehicles in the US and again your were consistent because the RAV4 Prime is a PHEV.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
The MCA for the Compass for NA is what I've come to expect from the crack management team here. Just enough to get by. Anything not sanctioned by the Auburn Hills crowd gets the cold shoulder treatment here. If it ain't from here, they do as little as they have to with it to sell it.

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
The MCA for the Compass for NA is what I've come to expect from the crack management team here. Just enough to get by. Anything not sanctioned by the Auburn Hills crowd gets the cold shoulder treatment here. If it ain't from here, they do as little as they have to with it to sell it.
I think "just enough to get by" is underselling it a bit. The new interior is stunning. It just needed a new powertrain to go along with it.

From this...

To this...

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I think "just enough to get by" is underselling it a bit. The new interior is stunning. It just needed a new powertrain to go along with it.

From this...
View attachment 81685

To this...
View attachment 81684
It "just needed a powertrain".....

Nothing important.

Most of us complimented the interior. Great. The pig has lipstick now..feel free to kiss it.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts

From this...
View attachment 81685

To this...
View attachment 81684
So then, why does other regions seem to get the "full" Compass experience? And here it's like well, we better at least act like we're doing something?

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
So then, why does other regions seem to get the "full" Compass experience? And here it's like well, we better at least act like we're doing something?
Especially since this region is the profit generator and a competent Compass would not need as much of the heavy incentives and fleet business.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
You're funny. You already know how much I hate the 2.4. But saying they did the bare minimum when they refreshed the exterior and completely redesigned the interior is being a bit dramatic. It was a more extensive refresh than most vehicles get.
I complimented the interior over and over on this site.

The exterior changes are only going to be noticed by enthusiasts, not the target audience. Like so many FCA refreshes, the exterior is very minimal.

I am very disappointed in this refresh. It would be nice if Auburn Hills explained why they stopped short when EMEA, APAC and Brazil are getting a far more comprehensive powertrain refresh.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have the new Compass (albeit here in India.) With.....the 1.4turbo multiair and ....ddct. Another powertrain option here: 2liter mjd2 diesel plus 9 speed.

As we know on allpar americans or at any rate jeep/fca buyers dislike (a) small turbos (b) diesels (c) the ddct and (d) even the 9speed(apparently.)

So what's a company to do, given price point targets foe its entry level offering? Hmmm....good ol' 2.4 for NA, then?!

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I have the new Compass (albeit here in India.) With.....the 1.4turbo multiair and ....ddct. Another powertrain option here: 2liter mjd2 diesel plus 9 speed.

As we know on allpar americans or at any rate jeep/fca buyers dislike (a) small turbos (b) diesels (c) the ddct and (d) even the 9speed(apparently.)

So what's a company to do, given price point targets foe its entry level offering? Hmmm....good ol' 2.4 for NA, then?!
So, if Americans dislike small turbos, how do you explain Ford's success with them?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
CX-30 has an optional 2.5 turbo with around 250 horsepower on premium fuel. Though that isn't really what I'd call a direct competitor.

They may be reserving the powerful optional engine for Dodge, since the Hornet will be around this size as well.
Direct competitors should be the Q3, Tiguan, CX30, Sportage and Bronco Sport. CX-30 is the worst fit since it is a 2.5T. There are more direct competitors for the Cherokee.

2.0T SUVS

hybrids
Q5
GLC 350e
XC90
XC60
X3
Wrangler 4xe
Range Rover

premium gas
GLA 250
X1
X2
X3
X4
XT4
GLB 250
QX50
Q5
XC40
XC60
QX55
NX
XC90
XT5
RDX
Stelvio
GV70 **(2.5T)
GLC
F Pace
E Pace
XT6
GV80 **(2.5T)

regular gas
Envision
XC40
Escape
Cherokee
Q3
Outback** (2.4 T)
Tiguan
CX5
CX30** (2.5T)
Blazer
Equinox
Acadia
Sorento ** (2.5T)
Corsair
Santa Fe** (2.5T)
CX9
Edge
Ascent
Bronco Sport
Nautilus
Atlas
Sportage
Explorer** (2.3T)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
So, if Americans dislike small turbos, how do you explain Ford's success with them?
The 1.5T isn't a 1.3 or 1.4. It was a failure in the Focus, and isn't the only option in the Escape, and is partially responsible for the collapse of Escape sales. But it is a 3 cylinder. Better examples would be the 1.5T 4 cylinders from Honda (CR-V) and GM (Equinox), which allowed Honda and GM to pass Ford when they made the mistake of offering a 3 cylinder in the US.

Escape sales

·
Super Moderator
38,283 Posts
Perhaps if FCA’s implementation of the 2.4 wasn’t known as a noisy, underpowered, oil burning, slug that idea would have worked. People don’t realize just how bad the 2.4 reputation as an oil burner was - compounded by the fact it took 8 (yes 8) years for a solution while complaints piled up.

·
Jeepaholic
5,994 Posts

From this...
View attachment 81685

To this...
View attachment 81684
The new interior reminds me a bit of the interior of the A3 we had briefly (thankfully), which I thought was pretty nice. Didn’t FCA poach one of the interior designers from Audi, or maybe I’m thinking of someone else….?

·
Registered
14,498 Posts

Americans do not dislike small turbos. You are completely wrong, as usual. Others posted the evidence that disputes your allegation.

What is the company to do? Not use Jeep (a supposed 'premium' brand) to compete against the mainstream.

This is another example of FCA mismanagement. There should be a Dodge, Chrysler or Fiat competing against Toyota, Ford, GM, etc.,.....not JEEP.

But FCA was not clever enough to utilize all its brands and just abused Jeep with an inferior product that was neither good for the mainstream buyer and not competent enough for the off-roader. Half-arsed products create half-arsed sales volumes.

We will be living with these types of FCA mistakes for at least half a decade as the company tries to correct the incompetence of the past 10 years.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When it comes to powertrains. Yes, the 2.4 NA needs to die.. fast. I haven't tried any GSE engine yet. But Autoweek had a 500X on a long term test with the 177bhp version and they seemed quite happy with it.

But there's other options today.
I've tried both the 3 cyl 1.2L turbo and the 4 cyl 1.6L turbo. And they are very fine engines in my opinion.

I think Stellantis is ditching the GSE that was first planned for Alfa Romeo Tonale, over these 2 French engines..

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
When it comes to powertrains. Yes, the 2.4 NA needs to die.. fast. I haven't tried any GSE engine yet. But Autoweek had a 500X on a long term test with the 177bhp version and they seemed quite happy with it.

But there's other options today.
I've tried both the 3 cyl 1.2L turbo and the 4 cyl 1.6L turbo. And they are very fine engines in my opinion.

I think Stellantis is ditching the GSE that was first planned for Alfa Romeo Tonale, over these 2 French engines..
GSE is better and has lower CO2 emissions on WLTP cycle than French engines. Besides 1.3 has much better NVH than French 1.2 3 cylinder engine.

The other good part is much broader coverage with GSE engines. 1.0 Inline 3, 1.3 Inline 4 and before the end of this year 1.5 Inline 4 as P2 mild hybrid.
This is a single engine family.
On the other hand PSA has 1.2 Inline 3 and 1.6 Inline 4 from 2 unrelated engine families.

Alfa Romeo Tonale will be launched with 1.5 turbo GSE/Firefly P2 MHEV which will offer best in class CO2 emissions.
Best in class vs. European premium competition with 1.5 turbo engines.
I know the number. It's less than 10% higher in comparison with RAV4 full hybrid. Very, very competitive.
Best in class

41 - 60 of 90 Posts