Allpar Forums banner
61 - 80 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The Renegade and Compass are the best selling Jeeps, globally NOT excluding n america where they've sold well enough too (segments share, atp, relative to old patriot and compass etc.)

PS: if it looks like a Jeep, drives and feels like a tough durable jeep esp on bad or non roads (ie NOT necessarily Wrangler esque).....it IS a JEEP.

And that it why the Compass and Renegade have sold and will sell well enough or better at decent prices in usa AND latam And europe plus rhd markets.

I am sure the persistent life of the 2.4 engine will not be changing that :)

·
Super Moderator
38,577 Posts
The Renegade and Compass are the best selling Jeeps, globally NOT excluding n america where they've sold well enough too (segments share, atp, relative to old patriot and compass etc.)

PS: if it looks like a Jeep, drives and feels like a tough durable jeep esp on bad or non roads (ie NOT necessarily Wrangler esque).....it IS a JEEP.

And that it why the Compass and Renegade have sold and will sell well enough or better at decent prices in usa AND latam And europe plus rhd markets.

I am sure the persistent life of the 2.4 engine will not be changing that :)
Do you bother to actually look up numbers before you make your claims?
"Small" Jeep sales peaked in 2016 at 323k in the US when Compass, Patriot, and Renegade were all sold together.
Since then the small Jeep sales have been dropping (227k in 2017, 269k in 2018, 221k in 2019, 171k in 2020) all the while the segment has grown over that time. That's bad, really bad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
But FCA was not clever enough to utilize all its brands and just abused Jeep with an inferior product that was neither good for the mainstream buyer and not competent enough for the off-roader. Half-arsed products create half-arsed sales volumes.

We will be living with these types of FCA mistakes for at least half a decade as the company tries to correct the incompetence of the past 10 years.
There's nothing that Jeep hasn't done before. The Jeep had the same mass models before - Compass, Patriot. They have become more successful in the FCA era because
1. The market has shifted towards crossovers
2. The new models are much better
Chrysler and Dodge will never become mass brands, and the first news about the plans of Stellantis only confirms this.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I agree with what @World14 said. NVH is inferior to nearly every other 4 cylinder out there.

It is lethargic in performance for most people. Some might be OK with a slow poke vehicle, but those of us who have had 4.0 I6 and Hemi Jeeps find the Compass and Renegade to be disappointments. I have driven multiple versions of both, including diesel versions in the EU. None were inspiring.

I am happy for you. But you do not seem to represent the consensus on this.
It's sad. I pulled up the article to see if this might be a good replacement for the wife's 2018 Cherokee next year. Saw that it's ONLY got the 2.4L engine and instantly crossed it off the list. There'll never be another 2.4L in my driveway ever again.

I will say though, the recall they performed where they alter the valvetrain timing/operation DID solve the oil consumption issue. So I don't have to add quarts of oil each month anymore.

Now the only complaints that remain are that it drinks fuel like a V6 and has absolute zero power or acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
38,577 Posts
"Small" Jeep sales peaked in 2016 at 323k in the US when Compass, Patriot, and Renegade were all sold together.
Since then the small Jeep sales have been dropping (227k in 2017, 269k in 2018, 221k in 2019, 171k in 2020) all the while the segment has grown over that time. That's bad, really bad.
Throw in Cherokee (because it really is still pretty small though people want to think of it as a midsize) and the peak was still 2016 (now 525k units for all 4) , with 2019 total at 412k (a loss of sales despite the segment growing rapidly).

Tell me again what lessons FCA learned from the contracting sedan market that they've successfully applied to the small CUV market?

·
Registered
90 Posts
These are the oldest models on the market, it would be surprising if their sales grew. At the time, they gave good sales and had to get a replacement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am surprised how quickly people have forgotten what position Jeep and other brands were in at the time of the transition to FCA.
They forgot about the terrible Patriot and the first Compass.They forgot about the Dodge Breeze based on the Chinese Chery and plans to build a model line on Chery platforms.
And some people blame the Jeep for its success in the mass market, they want mass-produced Jeep models to be sold like in the old days.

·
Super Moderator
38,577 Posts
These are the oldest models on the market, it would be surprising if their sales grew. At the time, they gave good sales and had to get a replacement.
But yet FCA plan's only included a modest refresh of Cherokee in 2018, a modest refresh of Renegade somewhere in there, and what (for the US) is going to be seen as a very modest refresh of Compass.
Whose fault is it FCA (and now Stellnatis) are selling old models? Sinking in a growing market (where one would logically expect resources should be allocated) is not a sign of strength.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,283 Posts
This is still Jeep's largest market, and Valiant is right about it's sales sliding in a growing market segment. To me it shows a total lack of Management's desire to really compete in these segments here in NA. It really seems to be a waste of their time and attention. Orphans to them.

·
Super Moderator
38,577 Posts
This is still Jeep's largest market, and Valiant is right about it's sales sliding in a growing market segment. To me it shows a total lack of Management's desire to really compete in these segments here in NA. It really seems to be a waste of their time and attention. Orphans to them.
You want to make it look even worse? Let's look at all the offering in this segment over the years from all the brands, pre-FCA through 2019 (Compass, Patriot, Renegade, Cherokee, Caliber, PT Cruiser, 500L, 500x). Still peakied in 2016. But Caliber and PT Cruiser were quite strong in the space - and abandoned rather than updated those products. The other products brought into this space 500L and 500x never came close to the volume PT Cruiser or Caliber did.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a 2.4 in my 18 Compass.
No issues at all. Have 23k on it. Gets high 20s in city driving.
Hardly “awful”!

I guess you didn’t like yours?
It's still new. There better not be any issues. How do we expect less and less longevity and less reliability as we continue to exponentially pay more money for cars? Insane. I'd expect 5x the mileage before accepting issues as normal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
But yet FCA plan's only included a modest refresh of Cherokee in 2018, a modest refresh of Renegade somewhere in there, and what (for the US) is going to be seen as a very modest refresh of Compass.
Whose fault is it FCA (and now Stellnatis) are selling old models? Sinking in a growing market (where one would logically expect resources should be allocated) is not a sign of strength.
They do not want to invest in old models, because the transition to the Stellantis platforms is expected for 3 years. It makes no sense to spend money on outdated platforms during the electrification period.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
They do not want to invest in old models, because the transition to the Stellantis platforms is expected for 3 years. It makes no sense to spend money on outdated platforms during the electrification period.
He has right to some extent. The same model(Compass) is getting the new engine options in Europe like the upcoming 1.5 turbo P2 MHEV.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
It's still new. There better not be any issues. How do we expect less and less longevity and less reliability as we continue to exponentially pay more money for cars? Insane. I'd expect 5x the mileage before accepting issues as normal.
Normally, if you have any issues, they surface in the first few years.
If nothing happens, you’ll probably be good for a hundred K miles.
Your mileage may vary.
😊

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Just checked the oil in the Compass after a change about 4,000 miles ago. Still at full, where it was when I changed it. 👍

61 - 80 of 150 Posts