Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owning vehicles over the years, I have had to replace a bunch of these pain in the butt gas filled struts. While they are easy to replace, having to rebuy them at $40+ a set every few years is not much fun. I would rather have a spring loaded hood or even a prop rod, however the 06 dak has gas filled struts.

I have taken to opening the hood while the truck is in the garage and not driven for several days, so they are extended and at rest and maybe the gas will not excape as fast as if they are in compression. That's my theory and maybe its wrong or right, so I am fishing for other opinions.

Or maybe the act of raising and lowering the hood lets more gas out and they poop out more quickly then if the hood was not opened. That theory sounds as reasonable as raising the hood to let them stretch out ?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Ceramic-coated long-tube headers. Get the heat out of the engine compartment so that they don't continue to get baked.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The nitrogen gas probably leaks past the pushrod stem seal.
Keeping this rod clean and dry is important. Lubricating it may be a bad idea as lubricants would attact dust and dirt to stick to the stem as a seal abrasive and might damage the seal material.
I don't know if there are online reviews of the reliability of the different brands?
You may be able to install a used manual hood prop rod from an older ('87-'96) Dakota? I really hate when a hood lands on my head.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
You can lubricate them with powdered graphite (same as used on door locks) which will not attract dirt and will preserve the rod and not hurt the seals.

·
Registered
160 Posts
2 bucks at you pull it yard. And you can find all kinds of neat stuff there. Its like christmas for me when I go. I take lots of tools and spend hours at the place.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I use the "Mighty" (sp?) brand from Autozone on my hatchback.  The hatch flies up when they are new, takes effort to close them, and they last quite awhile.  $28, I think.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If they've failed, I've seen products used on new Challengers at car shows that are little standoffs that clip on to the rod on the gas strut, so that the hood is open enough for a view under the hood, but not so much as to be all of the way open. One could probably make something like that in a longer size to hold the hood open farther.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
You have to replace them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts