Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1987 Plymouth horizon and I’ve been trying to find a good n/a set up that would make it a nice sleeper. I’ve been looking at possibly the newer 3.6 pentastar engine and transmission that’s in the avenger rt. Was wondering if I’d actually be able to make it fit without extreme fabrication. Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
815 Posts
You're talking an engine bay meant for nothing but maybe a forced induction I4 and nothing else.
The 3.6 isn't small, so I highly doubt it could go in without modification. Plus, it's not the best base for modifications (the 3.6) anyways,

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,942 Posts
It probably could be done, but it isn't something feasible as a daily driver. YouTube had a Turismo with a 3.3L, but all I can find is this Neon. Red Green would be proud:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Another issue with swapping to a heavier engine is the fact that the suspension will be a lot of trouble. Not designed to take the weight and will affect handling. I would find an I4 as was suggested and maybe hot rod it a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
N/A is an unreasonable bottleneck with a sleeper Horizon.

They're made to accept a Turbo 2.2/2.5 with factory parts including electronics.

Thanks
Randy

Well I’ve tried to find a a way to rebuild the engine and transmission with stronger gearing and the turbo setup, but I haven’t been able to find anything. I was thinking maybe like swapping the labaron engine and trans but I’m looking to have something pretty reliable but quick. Maybe 260 hp range at most. I need it automatic so my girlfriend will be comfortable driving it too. It’s been hard to find anything.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Finding a Turbo donor car is ideal.

1988 2.2 Turbo with automatic or 1989 2.5 Turbo with automatic is the best.

1988-89 electronics are the most reliable and inexpensive.

Thanks
Randy

Reactions: DC-93

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,942 Posts
I drove a 2.5L EFI Horizon with stickshift, The torque at launch was very pleasant.
My own 1978 1.7L stick will always be fondly remembered. The Direct Connection catalog had a racing PCM and twin-outlet exhaust for the 2.2L sedan.
I had plenty of room in the engine compartment, so I cut a hole for CAI through to the cowl plenum. I called it the Surprizin' Horizon. :)

·
Premium Member
20,288 Posts
I have an 1987 Plymouth horizon and I’ve been trying to find a good n/a set up that would make it a nice sleeper. I’ve been looking at possibly the newer 3.6 pentastar engine and transmission that’s in the avenger rt. Was wondering if I’d actually be able to make it fit without extreme fabrication. Any insight would be great.

You are talking FWD, so engine and transaxle would be easiest, mounting locations need to be verified they will meet up with the subframe, wheel track width needs verified the same or within reason, shafts can be shortened cheaper than extended to work easily, lining the transaxle to the front wheels is one of the serious operations in this swap, as I really doubt the Pentastar would bolt up to your existing transaxle.

The most efficient and easy way I have found to do these kinds of swaps is find both vehicles without the engines/transaxles in them and break out the tape measure and start seeing where the tight spots are. Since I doubt this swap has been done, some legwork on your part will be necessary.

The other option, other than the turbo recommendations, it a V6 that is in a K car or other cars of that generation. I can think of the 2.6 (Mitsubishi) or the 3.0, and I think the 3.3 and 3.8 (two very strong engines) would be a feasible swap and still a nice sleeper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts