Allpar Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,684 Posts
How about the canned tunes available on the market? I had a diablo on my 5 speed. Seemed to transform that transmission
I'd be careful. Son had an '07 Avalanche he bought used. Previous owner had installed a chip that boosted the hp. About 2 years later the transmission failed. Shop theorized the extra hp damaged the transmission over time. Funny thing was even with the chip it still had less hp than my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi did stock.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I like that idea... though I doubt the 2021 Pursuit specs are compatible with the 2013 computer!
Agreed, also likely depends on RWD/AWD, and the issue of what electronic device makes the High and Mighty decisions (I can't remember if the 845/850RE uses a separate TCM like the A580 did).

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
I'd be careful. Son had an '07 Avalanche he bought used. Previous owner had installed a chip that boosted the hp. About 2 years later the transmission failed. Shop theorized the extra hp damaged the transmission over time. Funny thing was even with the chip it still had less hp than my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi did stock.
Or the type of person who installed a chip (whether it made much more power or not) is the type of person who beats on their vehicles.

Reactions: sickboy

·
Registered
958 Posts
That’s the 4l60. Seen lots of rebuilds of completely burnt out units.
But to be fair, towing, and plowing (if it was subjected to it), will kill a trans prematurely. Avalanches do both.
Also, I didn’t get much of any hp increase out of the Diablo canned tune, it was mostly throttle response and shift feel. It did allow me to read and clear codes though

21 - 24 of 24 Posts