Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first time posting , so a little history I bought my 1980 dodge B100 van from the original owner about five years ago and the odometer was only at 75k and the owner did not remember if it has rolled over once or not this travel van was used by a married couple for their road trip pleasures all over US and Canada even Alaska ,looking under the hood and under carriage everything has grease and grime ,looking like every part on this van is original and the van really has no service records from previous owner . So I was wondering If there is ways I can tell if the odometer has rolled over once at 99K?

·
Premium Member
20,163 Posts
Being that the vehicle is 41 years old, and without records to document its history, no. Undercarriages get greasy all the time and with far fewer miles on them when they are this old, bushings wear out from a lack of use just as easily as lots of cared for miles, so that, too, is not a way to tell. Personally, what does it really matter if she runs well and still handles well. Take a power sprayer to the underside, fix the leaks, and enjoy her as she is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being that the vehicle is 41 years old, and without records to document its history, no. Undercarriages get greasy all the time and with far fewer miles on them when they are this old, bushings wear out from a lack of use just as easily as lots of cared for miles, so that, too, is not a way to tell. Personally, what does it really matter if she runs well and still handles well. Take a power sprayer to the underside, fix the leaks, and enjoy her as she is.
Thank you dana44 . I’ll I know is the owner had the theory of “if it’s not broken don’t fix it“ lol... I feel it’s problematic when in high humidity whether . i have experienced Engine stalling when coming to a complete stop. What can I do to improve her to be more reliable in 4 seasons +30c-30c temperatures?

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
First thing is a good tuneup and rebuilding the carb. Properly tuned, it should run as good as new. Beyond that, I’d consider replacing the timing chain, it’s probably got the plastic coated gear.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The Chrysler odometers had an ink pad that smudged the preceding number.

When the odometer was new and reading zero, the ink pad smudged the 9.

As it rotated, the ink pad rose and dropped on each preceding number.

If you read anything less than 90,000, no preceding numbers would be smudged.

One can notice the left numbers smudged on this odometer, proving it has rolled.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
189 Posts

One can notice the left numbers smudged on this odometer, proving it has rolled.

Thanks
Randy

The ink dissipated over the years...I own a few Mopars that I personally rolled over and no ink...This was even back in the day with my Dads 1978 Dodge his 1982 Dodge they rolled over and no smudge! I personally rolled the 78 over 3 times!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You cant tell...I rolled my 1978 over 3 times and the car looked new..pedals no wear,carpets like new engine wasnt very dirty..But even lower miles you can have dust/dirt/cay stuck to it and if they addded oil etc it leaked on the block making everything permanent..Being old I am sure the valve cover gaskets leaked at some point seeping oil on the block.

Assume it has 200,000..Even that 1969 Charger RT or 71 Cuda 440 6bbl is in the 200,000 mile mark! Guys drove them a lot in the 70's and 80's...I have an old classified magazine from 1980 and even 426 Hemi cars has 120,000 miles! But upkeep they looked like 20k...

Being a Camper van yeah at least rolled 1 time...Dont fear these are solid units!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all ...I feel the van does need a good carb cleaning as tuning but I can not find anyone that I can trust to do this any one know of any shop in the Ontario, GTA. I feel it’s problematic when its high humidity whether . i have experienced Engine stalling when coming to a complete stop. What can I do to improve her to be more reliable in 4 seasons +30c-30c temperatures?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
A typical problem was a clogged exhaust cross over passage in the intake manifold.

This allowed exhaust to heat the intake manifold and carb. during cooler weather.

There is a heat riser valve in the right ex manifold that is often stuck.

It should be free to move by hand against its thermal spring.

When cold, it should be closed to force exhaust through the intake to heat it.

It opens as the Engine warms up and allows ex to flow out of the ex manifold.

The passage the intake tends to get clogged with carbon preventing flow.

The intake manifold must be removed to clean the crossover passage.

The carbon build up must be chiseled out of the passage, its hard!!.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
246 Posts
A typical problem was a clogged exhaust cross over passage in the intake manifold.

This allowed exhaust to heat the intake manifold and carb. during cooler weather.

Thanks
Randy
Cleaning that passage way makes a huge difference in performance and gas mileage, and at 75K miles approaching the time that needs to be done, keeping a clean passage way and keeping a tight timing chain in those engines makes a noticeable difference in performance and gas mileage. Not sure if an '80 has that passage way, but my '72 and '74 engines did, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks
Randy
On my van does the engine have to be pulled out for me to be able to get the manifold out?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Probably not. I replaced rings and two pistons in my '94 with the 360/5.9L engine in the van. It's a little daunting getting started but you just keep taking parts off until you can do what you need to do. Good luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
A look under the doghouse.
IMG_8370.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks
Randy

you mean like this Randy ? So this has gone over once already?Number 9 is smudged
0F1A5D77-4EF9-4ED8-A1AF-E79456207C2B.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
Does this look right to you guys staring plug 1 at 5pm and clock wise it’s 153624
That is the correct firing order for a slant 6. The position of where the #1 plug is oriented should be verified with a timing light - but that is the approximate location where #1 should be.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I apologize, the exhaust crossover passage(s) I encountered were on V8 318 s, I did own a slant six in a pick-up truck, but I do not recall dealing with an exhaust crossover passage(s) or even whether or not a slant six has one, I do not believe I did, I am sure others would know better whether they have one.

Far from an expert, but I think, in part, properly set up carburetor/choke settings are, in part, a contributing factor as to how quickly the crossover passage(s) becomes clogged.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts