Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read these ptcruizer.com pages and highly rate the info so far. I have just read that Dexron even with Additives is definitely NOT compatible or desirable in the PT, it was NEVER even tested against ATF+3 or +4 'cos they weren't around at the time! and its not fair to even suggest that it might be compatible. :frusty:
I will shortly be a new retired Brit 2001 PT owner and have realised how important this is to the vehicle. Since it is so important, can anyone out there please tell me - How do I detect the difference between Dexron and ATF+4 for my PT in the UK? I can see Dexron is reddish and smells quite distinct from engine oil, but I have no experience of ATF+4 except that in your pages it is described as 'pinkish'. Can u see, feel, or smell a difference on the dipstick? And is it different enough to tell if some mechy-dipstick has inadvertently topped up with the wrong stuff! :thumbsdown:
Many thanks - stuff like this can be life-saving and I really want to enjoy life with my PT for many years yet. :)

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is no valid way to verify fluid type by sight.

On the Chrysler vehicles that I've bought used, one of the first orders of business is to change the trans fluid with ATF+4 regardless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ps. Apologies for the duplicated stuff - I guess I did not empty my 'browser cache' - I did try to edit it out on the Preview, bu it has not worked. It's another lesson - "Read the Makers instructions." Happy Monday to y'all.

Praise God for 'Supermen' - I shall be doin just that sir, if there is any shadow of doubt in the test driving and dipsticking. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
ATF+4 does have a unique odor when new, but odors can change over time so that wouldn't be a valid test. Any fluid that meets Chrysler's MS-9602 is ATF+4. (MS=material standard).
When in doubt, replace the fluid and filter, maybe even 2 fluid changes to get most of the old fluid out or a flush/transfusion to circulate it all out.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Certainly recommend changing the fluid as decsribed above. ATF+4 does have a really distinctive smell to it (it stinks). When you buy some ATF+4 to replace the fluid in your PT, compare the odor to that which is in the transmission. If they smell simlar, then it is PROBABLY ATF+4. I've found over time, the odor may change a bit as IC suggests, but the smell of ATF+4 is so distinct it may be close enough to give you some confidence of what was in there.

However, that being said, follow the advice above, and just change the fluid anyway. You certainly can't go wrong doing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts