Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the transmission rebuilt and the repair shop did not seat the instrument cluster properly. The bottom of it is set back from the surround such that it is hard to work the odometer controls. Also, not the llights flicker occasionally. I do not want to go through the hassle of having the shop fix it, but I have never taken that much of the dash apart. What do I need to do to get the cluster straight?

·
Registered
292 Posts
if I recall correctly in my 2000 DGC theres a Philips head screw on the side of the lower panel below the steering wheel as well as Phillips screws along the very bottom as well. The bottom section below the wheel has to come out, the cover around the steering column/turn signal has 2 or three Phillips screws holding them in, then theres a few Phillips screws that need to be removed then you can pull out the entire black bezel that holds the AC vents. You can figure it out quite easily, just go slowly, dont force anything, and above all keep track of those screws! xD

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
It's really not that hard. You just remove the upper and lower plastic covers on the steering column first. Then you remove the plastic bezel around the instrument cluster. You should then see the screws holding the cluster to the dash. There are four of them. One in each corner. You man not even have to remove the steering column covers. I'm pretty sure that if you have a short Phillips head screwdriver, you can remove the instrument cluster bezel without doing that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's really not that hard. You just remove the upper and lower plastic covers on the steering column first. Then you remove the plastic bezel around the instrument cluster. You should then see the screws holding the cluster to the dash. There are four of them. One in each corner. You man not even have to remove the steering column covers. I'm pretty sure that if you have a short Phillips head screwdriver, you can remove the instrument cluster bezel without doing that.
Just looked at mine, Chuzz is correct, you dont need to remove the steering column cover :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Was hoping it was not a real chore. Have had the bottom section off numerous times ut never had a reason to take off anything above that.
Anyway, I will get that over with Saturday morning. Then it is on to the graby brakes. Think it has a leaking wheel cylinder.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
If you do have a leaky wheel cylinder, then I'd recommend replacing both, along with new shoes and all new hardware for both sides. Trust me, you'll be glad you did in the long run. I did that a few months ago on my 99 GC and it made a world of difference. No more locking brake on one side in my gravel driveway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts