Allpar Forums banner

How do you feel about the appearance of the new Jeep Cherokee?

• Love it, it's new and distinctive

Votes: 69 22.0%
  • On the fence, it's gowing on me, I may actually like it a bit

Votes: 123 39.2%
  • Not as bad as I first thought it was, but still not good

Votes: 56 17.8%
  • Absolutely AWFUL

Votes: 66 21.0%
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments are pretty clear, but I felt compelled to put all of the opinion floating around into some quantifiable number. I am curious to see how many of us on this forum truly don't or do like it.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, now that is surprising. From this INSANELY small sample, the definite Like outweighs the definite Dislike, and the sorta like outweighs the sorta dislike.
It could be, that the questions fail to encompass the range of reaction, but it seems like it could suffice. I guess we'll see what happens when more people put in their opinion.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm going to wait and see it in person. I have found in recent years that my mind is changeable when it comes to new car design. For example, I never warmed to the 2007 Sebrings and Avengers, yet I have come to like them far better now. Same with the original Magnum/300, at first I thought they were clownish compared to the LH models that I thought were beautiful, but again, I've grown to love the body style.
Re: the new Cherokee, I have to sympathize with the 'Moparnorms' who see it as an end to the 'true' Jeep because of it's compromised structure, but I can also understand that the 'Jeep" brand has to grow outside of NA, and most 'furriners' don't give a rat's behind about that, they just want the 'name'.

I felt the Compass could have accomplished that, and the Cherokee could have 'reverted' to a more enthusiast role. As Norm once said, 'why can't he get a closed body style in a true 'off-roader'? I hope that Jeep management listen to him down the road, as that is the heritage of the "JEEP" brand.

Having said that, just GUESS how I feel about the whoring of the 300 nameplate. Many people on this forum tend to dismiss Chrysler's value as a company, referring constantly to how Jeep saved Chrysler. Here's a newsflash folks, if Chrysler had not purchased Jeep it would now be a GM brand called Hummer, and guess where your beloved brand would be today!

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jimboy said:
Having said that, just GUESS how I feel about the whoring of the 300 nameplate. Many people on this forum tend to dismiss Chrysler's value as a company, referring constantly to how Jeep saved Chrysler. Here's a newsflash folks, if Chrysler had not purchased Jeep it would now be a GM brand called Hummer, and guess where your beloved brand would be today!
The Chrysler brand has spent an awful lot of time being... just there. With no respect or desire to find it's identity. Heck, the 300 name was reintroduced with the 300m, which wasn't even intended to be a Chrysler to begin with (somewhere, there is a picture of this car with an eagle badge). The T&C has served Chrysler well from a sales perspective. As for everything else, it always feels like they say "Oh... I guess so". Hey, so we just killed Eagle, what do we do with the new Vision - "Ohhhh. I guess make it a Chrysler." Hey, we just killed Plymouth, what do we do with the Prowler? "Ohhh.. I guess call it a Chrysler.." Hey, we just killed Plymouth, and we have the PT Cruiser which just so happens to perfectly match the design language of the Prowler, and the last 4 Plymouth Concepts we've shown, what do we do with it "Ohhhh. I guess call it a Chrysler, and drum up some fudge on what PT doesn't mean". Sebring "I guess so". The brand has largely simply become a holding place.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My opinion has changed somewhat. I thought it looked really awful at first. Seeing the official pictures and seeing it routinely over the last few days, I am of the opinion that it isn't as bad as first thought, but still leaves A LOT to be desired. I don't think it will sell as well as Jeep would like down the road. I do believe it will sell well initially IF they bring it to market properly (unlike the Dart).

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SouthPawXJ said:
My opinion has changed somewhat. I thought it looked really awful at first. Seeing the official pictures and seeing it routinely over the last few days, I am of the opinion that it isn't as bad as first thought, but still leaves A LOT to be desired. I don't think it will sell as well as Jeep would like down the road. I do believe it will sell well initially IF they bring it to market properly (unlike the Dart).
We all know that ugly don't kill the vehicle. People still buy tons of Oddities and Siennas. Still by mass amounts of Camrys (not repulsive, but hardly attractive). And Honda has had no trouble selling many of it's peculiar offerings. Had decent sales of the Excrem - I mean Element. That said, most ugly vehicles have been more Niche - the Juke, Cube, the FJ Cruiser or most of the Scions. Most of them aren't huge sellers, more over Chrysler doesn't have the luxury of being able to sell garbage with it's label (Ahem, Honyota).
Either way, it's hard to call it. I don't think it's going to flop, but as I've said before, I feel this vehicle would have done better with less polarizing styling

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
bumonbox said:
The Chrysler brand has spent an awful lot of time being... just there. With no respect or desire to find it's identity. Heck, the 300 name was reintroduced with the 300m, which wasn't even intended to be a Chrysler to begin with (somewhere, there is a picture of this car with an eagle badge). The T&C has served Chrysler well from a sales perspective. As for everything else, it always feels like they say "Oh... I guess so". Hey, so we just killed Eagle, what do we do with the new Vision - "Ohhhh. I guess make it a Chrysler." Hey, we just killed Plymouth, what do we do with the Prowler? "Ohhh.. I guess call it a Chrysler.." Hey, we just killed Plymouth, and we have the PT Cruiser which just so happens to perfectly match the design language of the Prowler, and the last 4 Plymouth Concepts we've shown, what do we do with it "Ohhhh. I guess call it a Chrysler, and drum up some fudge on what PT doesn't mean". Sebring "I guess so". The brand has largely simply become a holding place.
Only change is constant :) Sure, companies like BMW have been able to create an identity. But it is a lot easier when you start out with one segment and then grow over time. And I assume it will be more difficult over time the bigger they get to keep that identity and not dilute it. Also, Chrysler's problem has been that its bread and butter brands were Dodge and Plymouth. And unfortunately they weren't strong enough over the past decades to push Chrysler more upscale and make it a true Cadillac competitor. Although, IMHO that's just the image that is in people's mind. I take a 300C or 300SRT8 any day over anything Cadillac or Lincoln have to offer.

The Cherokee might be Chrysler's Bangle moment. That 7 series design was hated by BMW diehards yet it sold very well. I will need to see the final Cherokee in person (including the base model) to make my final judgment. I remember the 2005 300C was hated by 300M owners when shown in NY. Chrysler is known for polarizing designs and they prefer love/hate designs. The important question will be: are there enough lovers that will buy it and make it worthwhile to build it...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I possibly would change my vote upon seeing it for real - I agree with those who say that is the way to grant a final decision. I also wonder about its capability but my needs are not for 4WD, just AWD.
Would I buy one? The styling has pushed me from "vaguely considering" to "no."

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If you are on this site you are a Mopar enthusiasts. We make up less than 20% of the true buying populace. On this site...Of Jeep owners my guess is that 30+% would consider themselves Jeepers. People that actually take their Jeeps off-road. Whilst less than 10% of "new Jeep " Liberty buyers were "Jeepers" or would ever consider taking their Jeeps off-road. That number is much higher for Wrangler . I recall having similar conversations when the 2011 Chrysler 300 was introduced. Owners of past 300's and members of this site called it "ugly, boring, not as bad [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms]...etc"

The question is…..Is it better than, Does it have a nicer interior, more space, better ride and handling, equal or better fuel economy(and yes superior off road capability than….?

the competition

Tucson

Escape

Rav 4

Mazda Cx5

VW Tiguan

BMW X3

Range Rover Evoque

·
Registered
70 Posts
Too bad it isn't likely that the transfer case will have a neutral position. Maybe we'll be suprised and it will turn out that the transfer case actually has a neutral position.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I too have to see it in person. The photos provided so far are not enough. It looks like the back end has been changed and is not the cookie cutter design. Other than that how deep are those scallops on the hood, do they flow better than the pic shows. But that frontend light layout... would have been a lot more acceptable with this http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/02/14-cherokee-changed-after-spy-shots

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
The six eye look is a trend that just hasn't pulled in a bunch of sales. I could go for the weird look on a vehicle that is meant to be weird like the Juke. Such a small niche market look that was pressed onto a Jeep, which already has a very strong brand identity, immediately turns me off. Throw the Cherokee name on it and I'm disgusted by it. Now those are my own biased opinions on the style only. It looks like it will have a nice interior and I'll be shocked if it isn't a very good all weather vehicle (cough..Subaru..cough). It will sell to the hipsters and those with adventerous style tastes. A pretty poor business plan for a supposed mass market vehicle. We shall see...

·
Registered
70 Posts
CJDsalespro said:
If you are on this site you are a Mopar enthusiasts. We make up less than 20% of the true buying populace. On this site...Of Jeep owners my guess is that 30+% would consider themselves Jeepers. People that actually take their Jeeps off-road. Whilst less than 10% of "new Jeep " Liberty buyers were "Jeepers" or would ever consider taking their Jeeps off-road. That number is much higher for Wrangler . I recall having similar conversations when the 2011 Chrysler 300 was introduced. Owners of past 300's and members of this site called it "ugly, boring, not as bad [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms]...etc"

The question is…..Is it better than, Does it have a nicer interior, more space, better ride and handling, equal or better fuel economy(and yes superior off road capability than….?

the competition

Tucson

Escape

Rav 4

Mazda Cx5

VW Tiguan

BMW X3

Range Rover Evoque
I already like the European design and feel of the Escape given that it mimics it's arch rival-the Tiguan, just as the Escape's platform mate-the Focus mimics it's arch rival in Europe-the Golf, the Focus sedan mimicking the Jetta, and the GTI being the arch rival to the Focus ST. The Volkswagen Polo is also the Ford Fiesta's B-segment arch rival in Europe.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Truck451 said:
Too bad it isn't likely that the transfer case will have a neutral position. Maybe we'll be suprised and it will turn out that the transfer case actually has a neutral position.
Technically, the KL Cherokee doesn't have a transfer case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll be looking forward to the 2 year re-fresh. Hopefully for Jeep it will sell well compared to its competitive. More worried about the dependability of its 9-speed trans.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The response to the Cherokee actually gives me hope for the B sized Jeep being worked on right now in India. If the pendulum swings the other way re: styling and capacity perhaps we will end up with a genuine sub-Wrangler Jeep ala the JJ program from way back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a concept photo.. The 2014 Grand Cherokee does not have the 6 light front end.... Google has the correct photos as displayed on Chrysler's site.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
This is a concept photo.. The 2014 Grand Cherokee does not have the 6 light front end.... Google has the correct photos as displayed on Chrysler's site.
Uhh.. Not a concept. It's the 2014 Cherokee. Not the Grand.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Showed the assembly line picture to my wife, she loved it.
I don't like it, I drive a 2005 Liberty.
The front is way too busy.
I was hoping it looked more lile a Jeep than a Juke/Escape love child.

1 - 20 of 352 Posts