Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a PT Cruiser and the GT model with the turbo 2.4 intrigues me. I have a '90 turbo Spirit ES with 164,000 miles and have driven it for 19 years without any major problems. It still runs great. I've grown used to the power of a turbo, and it would be nice to have that power in a little hauler like the PT. Can I expect the same service life out of a 2.4 turbo? Does this motor have any known weak points or problem areas? Any comments are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I'm in the market for a PT Cruiser and the GT model with the turbo 2.4 intrigues me. I have a '90 turbo Spirit ES with 164,000 miles and have driven it for 19 years without any major problems. It still runs great. I've grown used to the power of a turbo, and it would be nice to have that power in a little hauler like the PT. Can I expect the same service life out of a 2.4 turbo? Does this motor have any known weak points or problem areas? Any comments are appreciated.

The only problems I have heard of the turbo engines were quickly identified as a cam seal problem that leaked, and from there, only minor electronic gremlins which were taken care of, usually within the first 15K or so, but as far as the block, turbo, and head gaskets go, never heard of a problem occuring with the turbo engine, which is one tough booger.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The 2.4 engine has a very strong bottom end girdle that makes it extremely free of flex. Flex in the block kills more engines at extreme levels than just about anything else. In fact, it seems the 2.4 is stronger than the Common Block 2.5 in your Spirit. Pistons are of comparable quality to those in the 2.5 and everything else ranks up there as well. You should have a long happy life with your new PT.

Mike

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The family hauler is a 2005 GT with just over 60K on it. Bought it brand new. It's used everyday averaging about 45 miles per trip. Oil changes have been about every 7 to 8K using Mobil 1 since it's first oil change. It runs perfect. it has always run perfect. It doesn't use oil and the oil still looks clean on the dipstick even at 5K on the oil, hence the longer change intervals. The ONLY failures of any type since day one have been the electric hatch release button on the tailgate and a couple of replacement bulbs in the center stop light. Oh, and the OEM Goodyears had to be replaced. They didn't hold up well. All kinds of tire problems with the Goodyears. Susceptible to punctures, bad/shifted belts, vibrations, etc. Replaced with Bridgestones and all was well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's input. Plans for the PT purchase are moving right along. Can't decide if I want to trade in my '90 Turbo Spirit through Cash for Clunkers. Put a lot of work and "love" into that car! Tough decision!

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. Plans for the PT purchase are moving right along. Can't decide if I want to trade in my '90 Turbo Spirit through Cash for Clunkers. Put a lot of work and "love" into that car! Tough decision!

She sounds like a keeper actually, and with that, you may be able to find a good used one for half the price of a new one, being able to keep the Jewel, and still have your PT.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
I don't think the Spirit is gonna qualify for the clinkers program. Plus it's winding down fast.
I found a nice Limited Turbo (I believe the GT is no more) but I didn't want to spend (well, actually borrow) the difference between the rebates and the price of the car right now.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hope you didnt cash for clunkers your old Spirit....Heck, the engine alone is worth plucking out, give it a little care and drop it into a daytona/rampage/shadow or something. Obama and his B.S. program caused many good and valuable parts to be destroyed forever.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Obama and his B.S. program caused many good and valuable parts to be destroyed forever.
(Except it wasn't "Obama's program." It's was "Congress' program." But let's not drag politics into it - that's verboten per the TOS here.)

Wow. We've resurrected a nearly 3-year old thread here. :eek:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I know of at least two SRT-4's that have well over 100k miles on them, and at least one of them had the Stage 3 kit (350hp) on it for a good while too. They're all stock motors, still running strong.

Reactions: awyseguy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts