Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want to get the Mopar trailer hitch and wiring harness but I was reading the installation instructions for the wiring harness and it seems like it involves splicing a few wires.
The dealer said they will do it for me for $69 but I doubt they will do the job as needed according to the instructions such as solder the wires as well as crimp and heat shrink the connections.
Should i do it myself or let them do it as it's only $69?

Also, the pics that the accessories book gives of the trailer hitch shows a cutout of the bumper with a nice black accent and a fairly hidden hitch. Does the factory mopar hitch actually look this good
or is Mopar making it look better than it actually is?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The Manufacturers do NOT solder wires at the factory because it has shown to be less reliable then the "machine" crimping of the terminals at the end of the wire.

The soldering will damage the insulation near the joint and it will stiffen the wire and make it more likely to break/fray with moving around and josteling. When you have a mega-buck crimping machine, it actually makes a better connection that avoids those drawbacks.

BUT, when you making connections by human hands with cheap tools that are NOT designed for one specific terminal, its sorta a 6 of one, a half dozen of another scenario.

If you are proficient enough with wiring, and working on vehicles, and you know how to solder and have the tools, I say do it yourself, it will do a better job than the Dealer would ever do for $69.

If you don't know how to solder, really haven't done a lot of wire repair or splicing, I'd pay the dealer the $69 and have them do it.

If you/they use the right splice connectors and crimp/clamp them correctly, you should have no problems for years. If the wires suffer a lot of corrosion, the soldering would probably be the difference that would have kept a good connection that was trouble free. If the splices are on the interior of the vehicle, and NOT exposed to leaks of water and road salt, it will probably stay trouble free for the life of the vehicle, if done correctly.

If the splices are on the exterior of the vehicle and exposed to the elements, especially the underside of the vehicle exposed to road salt, soldering will likely be best as well as shrink wrap, even liquid electric tape to prevent shorting from road salt and other elements.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This blog seems to very short on info.
I just ordered a Curt ClassIII hitch for my 2011 T & C. When I inquired
about adding a hitch at my dealership, besides sky-high prices, I was told that
for the wiring connector, it had to be programmed thru the computer on these
newer vans! Is that true, because Curt shows a plug-in cable to "Tee" into the
existing harness and add the trailer plug-ins, but ---- they don't say where this
plug-in "Tee" gets attached!
Does anybody know where this connection is made? How accessible is it? How difficult is it to do?

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
Consider using the crimp type butt connectors that have the heat-shrink ends on them. I've had very good success with those. I currently work for an RV dealer and in all honesty, we see all types of connections fail due to moisture and rubbing. Seal your connections. Don't create low spots in the loom where water can accumulate, and secure them properly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Video not too helpful, since it was an older model van being used. Plus, I intend to use a combo 7-pin &
a 4-pin connector, so that later, if needed trailer brake controller can be added.
This video did not address if the left-side plug-in also gave you the right turn signal connection.

·
Registered
292 Posts
hmmm I'd go into a dealer you like and ask the parts department guys about it, I'm sure theres some sort of mopar kit and theyd be able to answer any of your questions :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
hmmm I'd go into a dealer you like and ask the parts department guys about it, I'm sure theres some sort of mopar kit and theyd be able to answer any of your questions :)
That is why I asked here, because the dealer parts guy said that it has to go thru the on-board computer
on a 2011. I don't see why---- so that is why I asked! ---- HERE!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hmm i dont see why it'd have to go through the computer but I'd go back and talk to them just to double check why and how it's done, you could send Imperial Crown an IM, he's got the know how.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I bought a Mopar hitch and wiring harness for my Pacifica. The harness plugged into the vehicle harness, and the kit included fuses that needed to be inserted in the underhood fuse block. The hitch came with a template for cutting the lower bumper panel and black trim for the cut edge. Made for a very nice-looking installation.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
On the newer models some components have to be "enabled" since almost everything is controlled by a computer module somewhere. It's not just a matter of "plug and play". The parts guy is probably correct. Yes even trailer wiring is probably controlled by a computer for the running lights, brakes and turn signals.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Do the newer vans have the TIPM like the Calibers do? If so, they're very sensitive to voltage changes and fluctuations and that may be the reason the dealer told you it has to go through the on board computer.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Chuzz, my '06 Ram has the TIPM as does my 2010 Journey SXT so I'm pretty sure the newer vans (11+) have a TIPM.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Then that's probably why he's having the problems with it, Doug. Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts