Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with my transmission in the last couple of weeks. I changed out the fluid and the transmission filter. Codes thrown indicated
voltage out of range for the input speed sensor, which was replaced yesterday. ANother code indicates a gear ratio out of range for fourth gear and I believe another code or may be the same code related to the compounder. I took vehicle to the dealer yesterday after having the input speed sensor replaced. It worked perfectly for about 5 minutes and then started to do the same thing as before. When you started off in I guess first gear, it will not auto shift into second or any other gear. I engage the the manual shift and I am able to shift through 1 through 6. Sometimes this doesn't work though and If I stop, turn off vehicle and restart, it I can again manual shift. How long can I drive this way. My caravan is a taxi and it goes off stand December 1 and I will have to sell it.

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan
3.8L 6 cylinder SXT with 62Te Automatic Transmission.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!

Can you list the fault codes? If you have the CVI's (Clutch Volume Index - measure of wear) that can help diagnose the issue.

Sounds like it is immediately going into limp mode. In Limp mode it goes into 2nd gear. 2nd and reverse are hydraulic. The rest are controlled electronically.

I would not recommend driving it until it is fixed properly. The limp in mode is designed so you can get it to a shop.

I'm surmising that since it is used as a taxi, there is no warranty(?).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The codes I got before I replaced sensor were P0734,(fourth gear ratio) P0420- oxygen sensor (I believe) P0792(speed sensor I thought)
When I took it to dealer they pulled P0734
P0792 (dealer says COMPOUNDER SPEED GEAR RATIO ERROR) and further states FOUND INTERNAL PROBLEM IN THE TRANSMISSION (need to disassemble or replace.

This is his estimate - Transmission kit $3450, support bracket- $159, support bracket $156, Reman transmission-$4301,
Replace water pump $339 Total estimate was $9024.80

I paid $3500 for the van about 3 months ago. It is only allowed on the taxi stand until December 1st since Dallas has a 5 year taxi law.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
The codes do seem to point to an internal issue (especially the P792). However the estimate makes no sense. Why are they trying to bill you for a transmission kit and a remain transmission? What do they mean by transmission kit (which is usually parts to rebuild a transmission and would not cost that much). I would expect the bill to be a lotless than $9k, Given the price paid when you bought it, this must be a very high mileage unit or already had issues.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has 203,000 miles but I know that with proper maintenance that these can go for 350 to 400K miles.
I bought it with I think around 165,000 miles on it. His estimate does not go into detail as far as what transmission. I wrote above exactly what he says.

You see I dropped it there mid morning and the service manager told me that they do not do transmission diagnostics except for a certain window in the morning and then again from 2pm-4pm. I then left there and thought about the $100 I was getting ready to spend for the test and 130pm I called back and asked them not to do the test because I had changed my mind and that I would just get the transmission worked on somewhere else. When I got there around 2 to pick it up, they said that they had already checked it out and his estimate has a multipoint inspection that covers all of the checks. I know that the transmission fluid level is higher that it should be but his inspection indicates that the level is ok. I had to pay the $100.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer parts just told me that the Master rebuild kit is $167, so the rest of the $3450 I guess would be labor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Was the fluid used in the fluid change ATF+4? I believe like other TQs, that's the factory recommended type.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Well, every day is an opportunity to learn. I have never heard of a compounder.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
You're not alone, Bob. I haven't either and was wondering if she was referring to the TCM.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
It is an overdrive that goes between the trans case and tail shaft or t/case. How its arranged on FWD's I don't know. It's what gave the fifth speed to the RH series transmissions of the early 90's.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Actually, the RH transmissions of the early 90s were 3-speed automatics with the electric overdrive (compounder), 4th gear added. They also had lockup torque converters, but that doesn't make it a 5-speed. The first 5-speed automatics were RE models, electronically controlled for all shifting.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Transmission fluid was ATF-4. Today I drove it from Irving to Downtown Dallas and Back to North Dallas and it never skipped a beat. It worked with automatic shifting and just like it always has. Last weekend it had me in a bad spot and I know it still has codes about the transmission so it is just a matter of time before it starts acting up again. To me, I would think that if a transmission goes out, then it goes out. Why would it work completely normal one day and then the next get me stranded?
I left it with a mechanic who is going to overall it and also replace my water pump for $1000 with a 6 month or 6000 mile warranty, which for a taxi is not many miles. I hope that I made the right choice. Everyone says that I should just sell it as is and buy a new taxi but I love this van and the one that I am leasing now that is a 2012 does not even compare to my 2009.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm curious, were there any symptoms other than the codes and the transmission entering limp-home mode? For example: unusually high engine RPM at at a given engine load & vehicle speed condition, unusually harsh or soft shifts, etc. that may indicate a clutch failure?

From the description so far I'm guessing an electrical problem rather than a mechanical one... however, 200k miles is a respectable distance for an automatic (heck, that's twice the mileage to failure I've seen on the failure-prone transmissions I'm used to - '90's Ford 4R70W's and E4OD's), maybe it is just that the clutches on the compounder have reached the end of their life.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Intermittent problems like this usually are electrical in nature. Wiring harnesses and solenoid packs are the first things I'd look at.

·
Administrator
35,242 Posts
I agree. That dealer certainly seems to sound like a ripoff artist. You could try a different dealer, and pay the hundred dollars for code reading. The fact that theypulled different codes is a tipoff.

You might want to send their estimate (written, I hope) to Chrysler Dealer Relations with a complaint.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I don't know much about these transmissions, but it does sound electrical. For those who know, is it possible there was some debris in the solenoid pack temporarily, after the drain and fill?
Also, that estimate is ridiculous. Something is wrong with that dealer.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
$9,000 to replace a transmission???? Geez! I'd like to have what he's smoking......... I could buy a decent used minivan for that price.

I could see $3500 or so for a reman from MoPar or Jasper. It's been a few years, but when I looked into a 41TE reman from Jasper it was somewhere around $3,000 or so and that included replacing the transmission cooler. Again, I don't know what the 62TE's are priced at when needing replacement.

Agree it probably a electrical issue. Find a reputable shop or dealer for further diagnosis.

$1,000 for a water pump? Is it that labor intensive???? Seems awful high to me.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
IIRC my father was quoted $5500 and $6500 Canadian for a Mopar reman or new transmission respectively for his 2008 with the 62TE. At the dealer. That includes about a grand for the cost of a new cooler/AC condenser.

He had a used one put in and kept the old cooler (thoroughly flushed) for $2200 instead. The used replacement has already outlasted the original.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
It sounds like the estimate gave 2 different 62TE scenarios. One was to rebuild the existing transaxle, the other was to replace the transaxle assembly. In the event of a case or some big hard parts being damaged, it is then usually more cost-effective to replace the transaxle assembly. It would be either/or and not added together.
I can't say how long it will last like this. It depends what the base problem is. Usually the bearing goes out and that could possibly strand you.
The compounder includes 2 clutches and a planetary gear set where the transfer shaft once was in the 41TE. This gave the old 4-speed 2 more ratios to play with and made it a 6-speed.
Used ones may be out there and may be a repair option.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts