Allpar Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does anyone know how long the dipstick is for this 65TE? I am livid after taking my taxi to this mechanic. Does anyone know of a reputable, not overgreedy transmission mechanic in the Dallas area?

Hello, thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. I am keeping good notes and all of my receipts and trouble codes. I am trying to get it together so I can update the information here. Please stand by for more and I will answer some post and give more information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Does anyone know if Dodge has improved their transmissions for 2014? I heard about a 8 speed but, given the history of their transmissions, to me it just sounds like more stuff to mess up. Also, are they going to continue to make dipstickless transmissions?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,398 Posts
There are dipsticks available. Look for your best price.
https://millerspecialtools.service-solutions.com/Detail.aspx?id=847
If you use a length of flexible speedometer cable (or similar), listen and feel for the light 'thunk' as it reaches the bottom (go no further) then pull it out and measure the depth of the wet end.

This is the temperature/fill chart for the 62TE. Note that it can vary in level about an inch and a half between room temperature and hot. No more 'add' and 'full' marks:
DipstickGraph.jpg

Use ATF+4 only. Note any darkness or burnt odor of the fluid.
 

·
Virginia Gentleman
Joined
·
14,797 Posts
TaxiGirl said:
Does anyone know if Dodge has improved their transmissions for 2014? I heard about a 8 speed but, given the history of their transmissions, to me it just sounds like more stuff to mess up. Also, are they going to continue to make dipstickless transmissions?
The 8 speed is a transmission from ZF - a very reputable tranmission - BMW sourced their transmissions from them. Chrysler will eventually build the 8 speed and 9 speed transmissions under license.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Doug D said:
The 8 speed is a transmission from ZF - a very reputable tranmission - BMW sourced their transmissions from them. Chrysler will eventually build the 8 speed and 9 speed transmissions under license.
Chrysler already does build modified 8 and 9 speeds in Kokomo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ImperialCrown said:
There are dipsticks available. Look for your best price.
https://millerspecialtools.service-solutions.com/Detail.aspx?id=847
If you use a length of flexible speedometer cable (or similar), listen and feel for the light 'thunk' as it reaches the bottom (go no further) then pull it out and measure the depth of the wet end.

This is the temperature/fill chart for the 62TE. Note that it can vary in level about an inch and a half between room temperature and hot. No more 'add' and 'full' marks:
DipstickGraph.jpg

Use ATF+4 only. Note any darkness or burnt odor of the fluid.
Thank you for this BUT does anyone know how long the dipstick is for this 62TE transmission?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The other day, I got code P0790 - I think its the one I got that indicated that there is a problem with the torque converter clutch. I can be driving and all is well one minute and then I stop a a red light and when I take off, the rpm's ramp up and it stays stuck into the first gear. Alternately, I can be driving down a rode where I will not have to be using the gas that much because of being downhill and in a curve that the lull in using the gas causes what may be the torque converter to hang up and even rev up and not shift and also will not go into the limp mode most of the time. As soon as I stop, turn off engine and restart it, it starts to shift again.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,398 Posts
P0740 is a torque converter code. I don't know if P0790 applies to this vehicle.
If it is going into limp-in, it is failing and you may not be able to get away with any easy, external repairs and the transaxle will either need a rebuild or replacement. Used or reman.
Assess the money/resale/trade situation and decide if it is worth repairing it. I'm sorry that the transaxle is failing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
TaxiGirl said:
Does anyone know if Dodge has improved their transmissions for 2014? I heard about a 8 speed but, given the history of their transmissions, to me it just sounds like more stuff to mess up. Also, are they going to continue to make dipstickless transmissions?
Relax the 8 and 9 speed transmissions are from ZF transmissions and are not based on the 41TE or 62TE transmissions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ImperialCrown said:
P0740 is a torque converter code. I don't know if P0790 applies to this vehicle.
If it is going into limp-in, it is failing and you may not be able to get away with any easy, external repairs and the transaxle will either need a rebuild or replacement. Used or reman.
Assess the money/resale/trade situation and decide if it is worth repairing it. I'm sorry that the transaxle is failing.
Hello, and thank you for responding. I changed transmission fluid again last night and used TransTune. It seemed to help. I got codes reset last night and this morning as soon as I reach operating temperature after 5 miles, the engine light comes on and I smell the transmission. Maybe the transmission cooler is not working. How would I know. The day before yesterday I had the drivers side cv axle replaced with a brand new one. They obviously did not add transmission fluid because when I checked it, it was at 20mm and the minimum is 30 mm. Also, I noticed a grinding noise when I took off in a hurry. I I do have that noise now but, it is a huge weekend for taxi business and I guess I will be putting it to a test. I dont know what code triggered the light yet. It no longer works in limp mode. I just have to pull over and turn it off and turn it back on to reset it. Could i just have the torque converter replaced or rebuilt? Would it not be cheaper than replacing or rebuilding the whole transmission?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,398 Posts
The only way to smell ATF is if there is a leak or severe overheating. Does the vehicle leave behind oil spots?
The coolers can clog up if there is debris in the oil, which takes us back to the original rebuild diagnosis. Coolers can be flushed or replaced if they don't allow flow. But what reason would it plug up for other than an internal transaxle problem?
There is an ATF 'over temperature' fault code that will light the yellow 'ck eng' light and red trans temp light (if equipped).
Are the internal clutches and compounder bearings coming apart? A compounder assembly may be replaced if the rest of the transaxle is not too far gone. If you replace the torque converter and front pump together, you already have the transaxle out and a rebuild might best be done at that time.
Grinding noises are never good.
You could have a new diagnostic evaluation and repair estimate done, but it may echo the first one. I just don't see this whole issue as being repairable by a bottle of TransTune. This transaxle appears to be failing internally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello Guys. I just wanted you to know that I am still driving my caravan. When it starts acting up more than normal, I just pump out some transmission fluid, and replace it with some fresh fluid. It may be my imagination but it seems to help for some time. Also, I have noticed something new that causes it to race up in rpms while not downshifting. If I slowly apply the gas, I can most of the time prevent the tranny from getting hung up in low gear. If I take off in a hurry, most of the time it will get stuck. I never let the rpms get out of hand before pulling over and resetting the transmission. With all of the headaches, I still have people wanting to buy it from me in the next few weeks when it goes off stand. Honestly, I hate that it is going off stand because I think 2009 and possibly the 2010 Grand Caravan SXT, were the best of the caravans and what followed it a cheaper made lower quality version. I have no doubt that I can get 450K miles out of the motor on this 2009. I would replace the transmission if I could still keep driving it as a taxi. It now is just shy of 216K miles.
 
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Top