Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among classic or vintage autos, PT's are not appreciated very much, and as a result they have not appreciated in value very much despite being out of production for more than a decade.

Why is that?

Will it change in time?

When will a PT Cruiser in good shape be worth $10k or more?

Your views will be appreciated!

Tim

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition For Sale

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
787 Posts
Probably gonna take another decade if not more. Most of the people I talk to around my area, regardless if they are wrong, dislike them. I didn't actually like them until joining this forum.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'd say at least 15 years for a "normal" mileage one and not one with low miles. It's not a good timeless design and never had a great powertrain unless you wanna count the gt, that's why it's not been raising in value

·
Registered
2005 PT Cruiser Limited
61 Posts
If you find one with extremely low miles, they can be worth that now. If you find a like-new one ten years after they stopped making them, it'd be worth that no matter what the blue book says.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I disagree....unless someone buys just to put in a collection.
The whole PT show scene is about over; affecting the heavily customized ones that are NOT day drivers.
Not going to be able to get replacement parts.
Won't be long and they will even be disappearing from salvage yards.

·
Registered
2005 PT Cruiser Limited
61 Posts
I don't know. I have it on good authority that for a prime example that was all original with under 7,500 miles for example, would sell for that..

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My opinion only, I also do not see it happening regardless of mileage or condition. The only thing I see affecting the current prices are the current shortage of used cars. The PT attracts a very limited buyer population. I would not pay over $1,500 for a PT over 100,000 miles having kept an '02 rolling for 180,000 miles.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sadly it will be a very long time... I don't even know if another twenty years will be right. Maybe the generation who grew up riding in them as kids will have some value in them eventually? But sadly, most people don't have a high opinion of the PT, and it's the brunt of jokes in automotive circles and amongst journalists. I doubt it will happen. A nice example might be a decent museum car as a donation. Another example is the crazy used car market. You might see very nice ones reach that price by dealers who are ripping off customers.

But if you only own a car to sell it for over $10k, then I'd say rid of it. The cost of parts and issues easily outweigh any money you will ever get on it. Now if you enjoy the car and take care of it because you love the car, that is a totally different story. Enjoy what you love.

But hey, 99% of cars aren't worth more than when they were new anyways.

·
Valued Member
2,946 Posts
Among classic or vintage autos, PT's are not appreciated very much, and as a result they have not appreciated in value very much despite being out of production for more than a decade.

Why is that?

Will it change in time?

When will a PT Cruiser in good shape be worth $10k or more?

Your views will be appreciated!

Tim

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition For Sale
Done deal. Check it out.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,977 Posts
This is topic too subjective to give a reasonably honest answer to.
A PT may make it to a 'special interest' rating. It would depend upon the buyer and emotions may determine the worth more than the actual value.
I watched the old car hobby turn 'greedy'. The muscle and pony cars of the late-'60s and early-'70s got priced out of this world. Some of it was driven by the baby-boomer nostalgia crowd. A lot of it was hype and glorification in the movies and on TV shows.
Sometimes a special car, not necessarily a 'collectable' car turns out to be the better deal. Old cars are fun, I don't purchase them as an investment or to have equity.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
816 Posts
$10,000 will be possible.
Anything more is if one of the online auction sites like BoT or Cars&Bids magically gets one involved in a bidding war.

·
Super Moderator
32,915 Posts
I see these cars in the same light as the 80s/90s Daytonas. Interesting and fun in their time, but only a niche interest that will age out of the market. Except for T3 Daytonas, they have been steadily falling in value for many years, are almost never seen on the road anymore (mine's been apart for repairs for 4 years, but I NEVER see any in New England), and junkyards are empty and parts scarce. I predict they and their owners will simply age out and disappear. So enjoy and drive them for fun.

·
Valued Member
2,946 Posts
I see these cars in the same light as the 80s/90s Daytonas. Interesting and fun in their time, but only a niche interest that will age out of the market. Except for T3 Daytonas, they have been steadily falling in value for many years, are almost never seen on the road anymore (mine's been apart for repairs for 4 years, but I NEVER see any in New England), and junkyards are empty and parts scarce. I predict they and their owners will simply age out and disappear. So enjoy and drive them for fun.
Lots of them for sale out there.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,458 Posts
I agree with Bob. The PT is a niche car for their time.

The plain fact is most vehicles drop in value. The muscle and pony cars from the "muscle car era" are the exception. Many of us baby boomers grew up during that time. What's funny is today's muscle cars have more horsepower than the original muscle cars, yet we still wax nostalgia over them. For me the winged cars (SuperBird and Daytona Charger) are especially unique. We'll never see vehicles like them again. Simply put, they were an iconic design.

Not long after I bought an '86 Chrysler LeBaron GTS, I spotted a late '60's Charger for sale. Oh, how I wished I had at least investigated purchasing it, but my wife would have killed me.

I consider myself fortunate to have actually owned a pony car ('68 Camaro w/327) as my first car. Wish I still had it.

I do really want to purchase a new Challenger, but given the current market, I will wait. I don't need to buy now, but I sure would like to get one, one day.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I agree with Bob. The PT is a niche car for their time.

The plain fact is most vehicles drop in value. The muscle and pony cars from the "muscle car era" are the exception. Many of us baby boomers grew up during that time. What's funny is today's muscle cars have more horsepower than the original muscle cars, yet we still wax nostalgia over them. For me the winged cars (SuperBird and Daytona Charger) are especially unique. We'll never see vehicles like them again. Simply put, they were an iconic design.

Not long after I bought an '86 Chrysler LeBaron GTS, I spotted a late '60's Charger for sale. Oh, how I wished I had at least investigated purchasing it, but my wife would have killed me.

I consider myself fortunate to have actually owned a pony car ('68 Camaro w/327) as my first car. Wish I still had it.

I do really want to purchase a new Challenger, but given the current market, I will wait. I don't need to buy now, but I sure would like to get one, one day.
I agree they are a niche car as well. Unless the younger generations appreciate them they will just get low prices and slowly go into the junkyards. I like them but I will not nor will I ever pay 10k, 7k, or 5k for one but thats just me.

My father is lucky enough to relive his youth buy having 2 trans ams. 1988 Firebird Trans Am GTA and 2002 Firebird Trans am. He never had a Camaro like yours but he did have a Maverick Grabber back in the day that he liked.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,458 Posts
My father is lucky enough to relive his youth buy having 2 trans ams. 1988 Firebird Trans Am GTA and 2002 Firebird Trans am.
A good friend of mine has a '69 Firebird convertible stored in his garage. I think it has the 350 V8 - not sure. Sadly, it needs a lot of work - new top, new rear window (hazed over) among other things. It's odd that he has it as he is a Ford guy. He hasn't moved it in at least a decade. It's not on his top priority - he's been busy with new grandchildren, involved with Little League, and a very active member of our church.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but never no car holds value except for initially expensive cars I.e. Bugatti Chiron.McLaren F1 etc. Notable rolls Royce is IMHO the worst offender...

Best as always .. Bob

·
Registered
787 Posts
A good friend of mine has a '69 Firebird convertible stored in his garage. I think it has the 350 V8 - not sure. Sadly, it needs a lot of work - new top, new rear window (hazed over) among other things. It's odd that he has it as he is a Ford guy. He hasn't moved it in at least a decade. It's not on his top priority - he's been busy with new grandchildren, involved with Little League, and a very active member of our church.
Just one reason why I never really cared for convertibles. At least it has one of the best engines GM ever made in it plus a desirable car. Sounds like he won't ever get around to it unfortunately and should probably just sell it to someone that is very interested in restoring it.

He sounds like a wholesome person either way.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,458 Posts
Sounds like he won't ever get around to it unfortunately and should probably just sell it to someone that is very interested in restoring it.
I doubt he'll ever sell it. I think it was his first car though I'm not sure. It's sort of an heirloom and he'll probably hand it down to his son. Who knows.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts