Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the process of cleaning up my workshop I opened the gate to where the '82 Dodge D350 crew cab short bed is sitting, and found that a front tire had flattened and a rear was low, opposite corners. The bumper in front was sitting lower on the flat side than on the inflated side, by enough to be noticeable, probably an inch to an inch and a half. Since I needed to store some bumpers under the truck I jacked the front end up and put it on jackstands at the frame just behind where it straightens out, under the front seats. When I was done, I noticed that the front bumper was now straight, not crooked relative to the body anymore.

How much flex should this frame realistically have? Is this too much?

If it's any help, when I bought the truck it had a utility flatbed on the back and the flatbed's welds had broken at the back, it was only held down by the bolts at the front of the bed near the cab For some odd reason the flatbed installer had bolted it in at the cab and welded it at the back.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Not so worried about flex, even less worried about bending permanently. I have told the story of an old 70s crew cab that was pile driven many a week for a friend's cordwood hauling truck, replaced grilles, radiators from sticks, and finally, after being rolled from too steep a pile driven drop, the body and bed was removed, engine pulled, and a tape measure check of the frame showed absolutely no damage to it. Part of the reason the body and bed is set on rubber bumpers vice steel plates and tarpaper gaskets like a car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts