Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MIL's '09 Sebring has an intermittent brake warning light, and tonight the chime came on under braking downhill (leaving a freeway ramp).
Can I do the key dance with this car to find codes, or is there some other way to check them? It's a 4-cyl automatic, hard-loaded. Don't know the miles offhand.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
The key-dance may show powertrain fault codes, but probably not ABS-related codes (if this is an ABS problem). The ABS will light the yellow ABS and the red BRAKE symbol if there is an ABS problem that could affect braking quality.
Is the m/cyl fluid level OK? Low level may bring on the red warning light.
P.S.- Although a low level may not be because of a leak, worn pads will lower the fluid level due to the caliper pistons getting extended to take up the slack.

·
Super Moderator
36,952 Posts
if the car has an EVIC there may be a screen that displays the trouble codes. There was for the OBDII codes on my 2005 300C. There was also a screen that showed the last event that caused a chime as well.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
P.S.- Although a low level may not be because of a leak, worn pads will lower the fluid level due to the caliper pistons getting extended to take up the slack.
I've seen the feedback lights because of worn pads causing further extended caliper pistons and thus a low fluid condition in brakes before too.

If you do a brake job after filling, probably a good idea to check the fluid level after compressing the caliper on one side, and taking out excess fluid to prevent an overflow.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mmm. I haven't got custody of the car, let alone permission to work on it ... EVIC, huh? Hers came with no manual. Guess it's time to go hunting for a Haynes / Chilton ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts