Allpar Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
38,069 Posts
A lot of it does come down to variability with the dealers. We have a new store nearby, and it started out great. Then they transferred a few people around between a few of their other existing stores, and they brought in a service manager who was about 13 cookies short of a dozen, and it all went to heck.
There's another store nearby that's far worse - I wouldn't let them work on my bicycle tire, and the fact that the city, county, and state police agencies have ceased using that store as a vendor is not a good sign. Yet they still have a CPDJE franchise. That has to be addressed. The company should be measuring these stores against internal expectations, and those that fail to consistently meet them should be subject to the loss or suspension of their Chrysler franchise.
While other companies do manage to fix their dealerships, GM in particular, there are limits to Stellantis’ power with dealerships since car dealers discovered they can run for Congress and protect themselves using legislatures.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
While other companies do manage to fix their dealerships, GM in particular, there are limits to Stellantis’ power with dealerships since car dealers discovered they can run for Congress and protect themselves using legislatures.
Yes, sad to say, unlimited cash buys a lot of (meaning, too much) influence.

Interesting point about GM - the vendor now chosen by local government agencies here is a GM dealer. However, to the west of me, we have a good Dodge store that is also the area's Business Link store, and they have a pretty good team there. More to the point, and something that seems to be the pattern almost everywhere I look, dealerships that have Chrysler franchises combined with (typically) Ford franchises at the same location are often quite horrible, both sales and service. We do have two Chrysler/GM combo's in the area that are equally poor on the Chrysler side. I believe much of the combining was the result of the 2009 mess.

Perhaps Stellantis might consider vertically integrating the dealership network. The threat of that happening may just be enough to promote some changes. Probably not, but I do see the market heading that direction at some point.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
38,069 Posts
Yes, sad to say, unlimited cash buys a lot of (meaning, too much) influence.

Interesting point about GM - the vendor now chosen by local government agencies here is a GM dealer. However, to the west of me, we have a good Dodge store that is also the area's Business Link store, and they have a pretty good team there. More to the point, and something that seems to be the pattern almost everywhere I look, dealerships that have Chrysler franchises combined with (typically) Ford franchises at the same location are often quite horrible, both sales and service. We do have two Chrysler/GM combo's in the area that are equally poor on the Chrysler side. I believe much of the combining was the result of the 2009 mess.

Perhaps Stellantis might consider vertically integrating the dealership network. The threat of that happening may just be enough to promote some changes. Probably not, but I do see the market heading that direction at some point.
In that case maybe it was due to 2009, but dealers were combining long before that. And yes, at our local Chrysler-Ford superstore, the Chrysler side was crap.

·
Super Moderator
39,077 Posts
The thing is many of the dealer groups with bad CDJR dealers also have franchises with other brands that aren’t as bad. So the same franchise laws didn’t prevent these GM results. FCA pushed crap downhill on dealers and dealers pushed it downhill on customers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dealers aren't as overpriced as some would make it. Here's my example. About a month ago our 2007 Commander, which we've owned since 2012, the drivers window and some lights etc started to only work intermittently. I thought about taking it to my normal shop, but I knew they did not possess the diagnostic tools to fix the problem without doing a butcher job on the wiring. So I swallowed hard and called our local dealer. Surprisingly, when I called the dealer, they were very accommodating. I thought because of the age they would not be interested in fixing it, but no, they said bring it in. And guess what, they fixed it the first time, and the left rear window, which hadn't worked for many months was fixed as well. Now, it wasn't cheap, but it was the right way to go. No regrets.
I noticed claim it's not overpriced yet neglected to include how much you paid to get a window to go up and down.

I know two mechanics who entered and left the trade in the last 10 years because they feel the shops stack everything in favour of rushing jobs. If the computer tells the mechanic a job takes 4 hours, they get paid 4 hours. Doesn't matter if it takes the mechanic 8 hours or they do it in 1 hour. They get paid 4. Guys who like to do very thorough work and even some extra courtesy work, end up workong for free. You make more money as a tech if you rush your work. Majority of the time the dealers can get out of free rework from botched jobs because most customers are completely clueless with cars. The entire trade of automotive service is stacked against techs and consumers. Unless you own the shop, it's not usually great for you.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
The thing is many of the dealer groups with bad CDJR dealers also have franchises with other brands that aren’t as bad. So the same franchise laws didn’t prevent these GM results. FCA pushed crap downhill on dealers and dealers pushed it downhill on customers.
I'd say Daimler was as bad or worse, with regarding to pushing junk out the door. It's definitely not all on the dealers, but as far as retail customers go, all that matters is the dealer experience. They have a lot of work to do, as we all know.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,556 Posts
I noticed claim it's not overpriced yet neglected to include how much you paid to get a window to go up and down.

I know two mechanics who entered and left the trade in the last 10 years because they feel the shops stack everything in favour of rushing jobs. If the computer tells the mechanic a job takes 4 hours, they get paid 4 hours. Doesn't matter if it takes the mechanic 8 hours or they do it in 1 hour. They get paid 4. Guys who like to do very thorough work and even some extra courtesy work, end up workong for free. You make more money as a tech if you rush your work. Majority of the time the dealers can get out of free rework from botched jobs because most customers are completely clueless with cars. The entire trade of automotive service is stacked against techs and consumers. Unless you own the shop, it's not usually great for you.
I'm happy with what they charged me and the vehicle is fixed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Until Stella or what ever the name can enlighten it's dealers to treat customers as an asset not a throwaway there is hope ? I needed help with my latest Challenger purchase and the first salesmen didn't really have and knowledge except the trucks and jeeps. Service reps are some what of a joke. I always ask any dealership personnel what they did before being employed there and getting shocking answers. Hiring warm bodies that don't know a torque wrench form a adjustable wrench is a big issue.
The Asian brand clobbered the US market by falling over backward to make sure the buyers are happy AFTER the sale. Not treating warranty issues a scam but pleasing the customer is a ticket to sucess. I'm sure all of us have hear about how the Asian dealers treat their customers ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Until Stella or what ever the name can enlighten it's dealers to treat customers as an asset not a throwaway there is hope ? I needed help with my latest Challenger purchase and the first salesmen didn't really have and knowledge except the trucks and jeeps. Service reps are some what of a joke. I always ask any dealership personnel what they did before being employed there and getting shocking answers. Hiring warm bodies that don't know a torque wrench form a adjustable wrench is a big issue.
The Asian brand clobbered the US market by falling over backward to make sure the buyers are happy AFTER the sale. Not treating warranty issues a scam but pleasing the customer is a ticket to sucess. I'm sure all of us have hear about how the Asian dealers treat their customers ?
I’ve lost count of how many friends, coworkers and family members have switched from GM/Ford/CDJR vehicles to the Asian brands - primarily Honda and Toyota. The exception seems to be full-size pickup trucks.

When we talk about their vehicle - their responses almost identical. All talk of the high quality of the vehicle, and emphasizing how their dealer “takes care of them and their vehicle”.

Often, they will have a story of how they were “screwed” by GM/Ford/CDJR on a prior vehicle - and will never buy another one.

·
Banned
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,226 Posts
And having owned a new 1980 Honda I can tell you it wasn’t always that way. This car had multiple problems that were common on Hondas of that era and the dealer was not helpful to say the least. Gas prices had spiked (sound familiar) and they were selling every one they got with a waiting list of 5 months. But they have come a long way since then…

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,461 Posts
While that generally seems to be true, I have a friend who was once employed as a tech for a Toyota dealership. He often told stories of doing unneeded work such as a tune up on a vehicle with only 30,000 miles when the factory recommended service was 50,000 or 100,000 miles. Basically the service writers were selling unneeded work to the customers. He bothered him to the point where he quit and started his own shop. Unfortunately, he was not successful and ended back at a dealership. Of course, this was only one dealership and yes, I know GM/Ford/CDJR dealers are known for over selling unneeded service.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
While that generally seems to be true, I have a friend who was once employed as a tech for a Toyota dealership. He often told stories of doing unneeded work such as a tune up on a vehicle with only 30,000 miles when the factory recommended service was 50,000 or 100,000 miles. Basically the service writers were selling unneeded work to the customers. He bothered him to the point where he quit and started his own shop. Unfortunately, he was not successful and ended back at a dealership. Of course, this was only one dealership and yes, I know GM/Ford/CDJR dealers are known for over selling unneeded service.
Toyota has made a big effort to weed out such dealer practices. Such dealers typically sold Big Three brands and did this for years to customers, so they did the same when they started a Toyota franchise.

But Toyota understands that their success is based on good employees, good dealers, good suppliers and good customers. Take care of all of them and your company has stability.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, the point I was trying to make was the warranty problems and the dealers ignoring or fluffing off the issues. Friend of mine had a oil burning problem with his Nissan SUV. Dealer confirmed that with a leak down test and replaced the complete motor. Mean while he was given a new loaner car gratis. Start to finish 6 working days, now a customer for life ! Meanwhile we have all heard about the demeaning treatment from the D3 dealers. The calling in of factory reps, delays, waits, lawsuits, etc. Trust me as a Chrysler retiree I know this has to stop as my and many others D3 pension payments are needed. When the next sales turn down comes there will not be any bail outs.

Reactions: Tony K
41 - 54 of 54 Posts