Allpar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came home from work a few days ago and the PT was parked on the side of the road next to our house. I saw that my daughter had left the fog lights on. I went in and told her to go shut them off before her new battery dies (see my post on how to install a new battery) She told me she never turned them on and we went out to see what's up. No matter what we did with the switch, the fogs and/or the headlights would not turn off. Then she told me that a puff of smoke came out of the hole where the emergency flasher button was. I thought, "Oh no, she let the magic smoke out!." Well after a bit of research on the internet, I deduced it was a bad multi-switch. I did some parasitic draw tests to verify.
I ordered a new Dorman switch online and waited for it to show up. It came today and it took me a little more than 1/2 hour to do the swap and that included taking pictures.

Overview:
If you notice a puff of smoke one day and then your fog lights seem to refuse to shut off, or if you have a PT with no fog lights and want to add them, this tutorial is what you need.
Changing a multi-switch in a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser LE

Tools Required:
  • Cross tip #2 (Phillips) screw driver
  • Flat tip (regular) screw driver (optional)
  • 10mm socket and ratchet or an adjustable (Crescent) wrench or a 10mm wrench
  • T15 Torx screwdriver
  • T10 Torx screwdriver
  • small regular (tweaker) screw driver (optional)

Materials Required:
  • Paper towel or a rag of some sort (optional)
Part Required:
  • New Multi-switch (Dorman PN: 2330840 or one from your preferred vendor)

Procedure:
1. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery (Outlined in steps 1-9 in the battery tutorial) This where you might want to use the towel.

2. Lock the steering column up for better access.

3. Using the Phillips screwdriver, remove the two screws from the underside of the steering column plastic housing.

4. Unlock and move the column to the down position. Gently pry the two halves apart. There must be a certain way to split this, but I broke off two tiny tabs by accident. If someone knows the trick to this, post it below please. Even with them broken, it still went back together fine.

5. Set the upper half, the screws and the driver aside for now.

6. Locate the turn signal / Fog light connector and gently insert a flat blade screwdriver behind the reddish tab.

7. If you slowly turn the blade or lightly pry, the locking tab will release.

8. Perform the same steps on the windshield wiper stalk connector

Windshield wiper connector.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
9. Set aside the flat blade. Using the small tweaker, insert the blade into the opening of the locking tab. ( I had to photograph these after the fact so you could see what I was talking about.)

10. Continue to insert the blade until you are pressing on the release tab. Notice the gray tab inside the connector.

11. In this picture that gray tab is in the up position, this is when you are able to pull the connector free.

12. Locate the two T15 Torx bolts and remove them. If you have large hands, it my be beneficial to remove these before you try and pull the connectors loose. I just found it helpful to have it firmly attached while I pried. You know Potayto Potahto.

13. After the screws are removed, It helped to use both my thumbs and forefingers to gently pry the whole unit up to disengage it from the screw posts. (Try and take this picture once!)

14. Once you have the old switch free, orient it with the new one so you can see the differences.

15. Grasp the relay shown in the smaller circle above, and using one hand, pull firmly towards you while holding the switch in the other hand. It should pull out with just a little resistance.

16. Insert the relay into the new switch, keeping the orientation the same. Make sure it is firmly seated. You should not be able to see the blades.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
17. Using the T10 Torx screwdriver, remove the two turn signal switch mounting screws. (circled in yellow)

18. Notice that the switch is captured with four plastic lugs that slide out to remove.

19. Reinstall the turn signal assembly onto the new Multi-switch by sliding into place and then installing the screws, again, keeping the same orientation.

20. Now that the new switch is ready to be installed, orient it to the column with the turn signal stalk to the passenger side (US) and insert the two harness plugs.

21. Set the switch back onto the screw posts and reinstall the two T15 Torx screws.

22. With the switch firmly in place, relock the locking tabs. Now give both connectors a gentle tug to ensure they are actually connected.

23. Retrieve the upper cover and the the two #2 Phillips screws. Place the cover in place, aligning both halves.

24. Reinstall the two screws.

25. Check the rubber like disk that keeps the dust out around the turn signal stalk to make sure it is properly in place as mine decided to try and escape.

26. Now it is time to check all of the lights and make sure they are all working properly.

If I missed a step or mixed up some of the photos, let me know so I can try and fix them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is for a Gen 1 (2001-2005) PT Cruiser. The Gen 2 (2006-2010) differs. A bit easier, I think. It is smaller and only on the left side of the column; does not "bridge" over the top, and there is no relay on the switch that has to be swapped.
However, the new design is not any more durable than the old.

Some service literature says the steering wheel must be removed to change the multifunction switch. It does NOT!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The Gen1 seems to suffer more from the MFS failure than the Gen2. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great write up! When I bought my '05 TE convertible (about 2 weeks ago), the PO gave me a new multi-switch to fix this very problem. He hadn't had time to repair it himself. I plan on tackling it next week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write up! When I bought my '05 TE convertible (about 2 weeks ago), the PO gave me a new multi-switch to fix this very problem. He hadn't had time to repair it himself. I plan on tackling it next week.
If you take pictures of the differing portions, I would be happy to add an addendum to this, that is unless you plan on doing a complete write up yourself.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
When my spouse replaced her totaled '02 with another '02, the first thing she did was pull the fog lamp fuse and eliminate the problem.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,035 Posts
The fix became available after 10-9-09 with the new part numbers. I didn't see the problem much on Gen2.
You take your chances on aftermarket, but by now all the old stock should be purged.
This almost became a recall as it was stranding people with discharged batteries.

Switch Multifunction

Part Numbers:

1. 05073049A$
  2. 05073051A$

Issue Description:
This component will be available from MOPAR after October 8th 2009. Please temporarily disable the fog lamp function and inform the customer of the delayed part availability date.
To disable the front Fog Lamps, the technician should remove fuse # 8 (15 amp) from the fuse box inside the car on the left side of the steering wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts