Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any information in the on board computers or the Nav system of a 2014 Dodge Durango that would inform a suspicion that the odometer had been rolled back. I am looking for logs of any kind showing date and mileage, or the distance traveled according to GPS. If there is such information, how can I access it? For information, the car has the 8.4 navigation system.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The PCM does store a mileage separate from the mileage stored in the BCM or cluster (CCN) modules. It would be accessed by a more advanced scan tool than an OBDII code reader-type tool.
It may be best to have a dealer perform this on a signed and dated repair order so that the found mileage can be stated in writing on the document for your own use and protection.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
Do you suspect the mileage has been rolled back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have a carproof report with a higher mileage report and I am trying to ascertain if it is an error

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Could be. The state inspection station that I use has read my odometer wrong twice, and now the Carfax report calls out the odometer going down, up and down again, and triggers alerts. The idiots input 20K (was really 120K, but a 5-digit odometer) after it was already 117K, then next time as 24K, then as 81K a year later, then as 35K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to Allpar. The PCM does store a mileage separate from the mileage stored in the BCM or cluster (CCN) modules. It would be accessed by a more advanced scan tool than an OBDII code reader-type tool.
It may be best to have a dealer perform this on a signed and dated repair order so that the found mileage can be stated in writing on the document for your own use and protection.
I am having a little trouble locating an independent service shop that can access this information (I don't know if the dealer is involved in this ...) . Can you tell me what equipment is needed and what particular information (by name of report or section) I need to retrieve to help me find and independent operator that can help me? Any links relating to the information I can retrieve would also be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Your best bet is the Chrysler dealer WiTech scan tool. I don't know of any independent operator or aftermarket scan tool that could do this on a Chrysler product.
The mileage logged in the PCM (ECU) is called EMR or SRI mileage and is kept as a separate log than the mileage displayed on the odometer.
The following is a VW/Audi tool discussion. Scroll down to where it describes the EDC-15 Mileage and SRI reset. (Do not have the technician reset the mileage in the PCM as this is your key evidence to tampering):
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/applications_screen.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your best bet is the Chrysler dealer WiTech scan tool. I don't know of any independent operator or aftermarket scan tool that could do this on a Chrysler product.
The mileage logged in the PCM (ECU) is called EMR or SRI mileage and is kept as a separate log than the mileage displayed on the odometer.
The following is a VW/Audi tool discussion. Scroll down to where it describes the EDC-15 Mileage and SRI reset. (Do not have the technician reset the mileage in the PCM as this is your key evidence to tampering):
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/applications_screen.html
Thanks for this.

Is there any historical information with mileage (e.g. Date plus mileage with or without any other information)?

Presumably, a dealer tampering with the odometer would have cleared this information. How would we detect that?

Thanks again,

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
There is no date recorded with the mileage at the dealer level AFAIK.
The EMR/SRI mileage could be changed with the scan tool on older PCMs. I don't know if that can be done with newer ones at the dealer level.
Forensics might be able to determine if the EMR/SRI mileage was changed in the past. I never had to go that far before. It is out of my realm.
I did have a customer many years ago who had a discrepancy between odometer mileage and stored PCM mileage. He got a repair order from us stating what we found. I never knew what became of the case or if one was ever filed.
It is fraud, if it has happened. You may want to consult with a lawyer who has done this before to find what you need to best prove that tampering has occurred. Gather all the evidence that you can. Get it documented, notarized and submit it.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
Is there any historical information with mileage (e.g. Date plus mileage with or without any other information)?
I just have one additional note. Chrysler’s info systems I think do have both date and mileage for each service visit made at a dealer, and Carfax has it for participating groups. It may not be stored in the car but that doesn't mean it's not stored elsewhere. In some cases though it's inaccurate so I would not want to try a lawsuit based on a single reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts