Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FSM said the window regulators would be attached to the inner door panel with screws and nuts, but they were pop-riveted instead. So I've got the pop rivets drilled out, and the regulator is free, but there is not enough clearance between the regulator and the division channel to get the regulator out; in fact, I can't even move the regulator arms enough to free them from their slots in the glass bottom channel or the inner door. The FSM is very sketchy on removing the regulator. I think you need to loosen and move the division channel in order to get the regulator out, but I'm not sure. I've removed the lower division channel bolt which is accessible through the hole near the right lower corner of the door panel, but there is obviously another bolt somewhere else, higher up, holding the division channel in place, and I can't figure out what or where that bolt is.

How do you remove the division channel? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Regulators are a fun one, and in the past I have had to do weird things like roll the regulator open or closed at an angle to change the shape of the regulator and arm size to get them out. It helps if you take the window glass and move it up, then the regulator crank end can be moved down so the window end of the regulator can slide forward or backward to come off the glass, then usually the window end of the regulator comes out first, and the rest follows, but play with it gently and try not to bend things to get it to move. Keep playing with it, it takes a perfect angle and open/close of the regulator to get it to exit properly. For the guide channel, it is either a bolt or screw that holds it in place, the other end should be one or two screws holding an angle bracket that is covered with the window channel itself.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it all apart! The secret is to remove the division bar as soon as possible because that gives you room to move everything else around and remove it. There is one bolt at the bottom of the division bar (accessible through a round hole near the bottom front corner of the door) and one phillips head screw through the door frame at the front of the vent wing assembly. Then the trick is to grab the top of the division bar (where the peak of the vent wing window would be) and pull it up and back. It snaps and lifts right out. You can't get the window out until you've first removed the division bar. When re-assembling, lay the window down inside the door, install the window regulator and insert its rollers into the window lift slots before re-installing the division bar.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I should add a little detail to this procedure, since it seems to appear nowhere else on the 'net and the FSM is very sketchy.

The division bar and the regulator have to be removed and installed in a certain order. If you try to remove the regulator without first loosening the division bar, the back of the regulator will hit the division bar before the regulator's crankshaft clears the inner door panel. But the division bar won't come all the way out until the regulator is first removed. So you remove the top and bottom screws from the division bar, roll the window all the way down and pull the division bar up and back a little bit. (If the front top corner of the window seems to be preventing the division bar from coming up and back, loosen the lock nut on the regulator's adjustable stop finger so that you can move the stop finger in order to temporarily lower the window further.) You will note that the division bar now pulls free for a bit, acts like it wants to come out, and then binds. It is binding on the regulator. But now that you have moved the division bar out of the way, you have clearance for the regulator to move toward the outside of the vehicle. So now drill out the regulator's pop rivets and remove it. As you are doing so, lower the window into the door and leave it lying there temporarily. Then pull the division bar up and back again and it will come out completely. Now the window will come out easily.

When re-installing, I used the shortest available 1/4" bolts for the 3 regulator mounting points. Two of these bolts are inserted from the inside to the outside as usual, but the third bolt has to be trimmed short enough to fit between its mounting hole and the regulator gear and must be inserted from the inside out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts