Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the stereo in my '74 Town & Country. Wally World sells a Scosche brand adapter that states that it works with Chrysler products back to the mid-1970's, but we all know how products don't always work or fit as the packaging claims. So I figured it'd be better to ask here first before buying anything.

The factory radio quit working (no sound). Temporarily (which could mean a few years) I figured I'd put in a late 90's Mopar radio that I already have and works well. After that, switch to a unit such as RetroSound's aptly named "Newport" head unit that at quick glance looks like it's OEM but is set up with high-tech "guts."

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
A battery-power wire can be run from the cigar lighter socket to the radio for clock/memory.
The antenna connector may need an adapter from conventional Motorola-style to the new mini-jack.
The speakers will need a 'floating ground' adapter as the return line from the speaker if through the car body (12 volts neg). This can damage modern audio output ICs that depend on the + and - spark wires being isolated from the car body. Running new insulated twin-lead speaker wire to each speaker is best.
It can be done successfully if these wiring precautions are taken. I've used the Metra installation kits, but they don't go back too far for some things. I was looking for the old 1970's GM-Delco radio connectors and they couldn't help me.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Your old radio should have 2 individual wires. One is red [ignition]. One is orange [for the radio light]. I like IC's idea of stealing battery power from the back of the cigar lighter. ------ 5 prong connector >> The front speakers are isolated. The black wire is a common ground for both. The rear speakers use the body for ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts