Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
(Europe) in 2012 represented 24 percent of the group's 84 billion euros in revenue.
When Marchionne was named CEO in 2004, Fiat relied on Europe for more than 90 percent of its 27 billion euros in sales.
:excited:
Yeah...I might think about moving, too.

I think we'll see a split HQ with the official home being in Auburn Hills. The question remains, what will the new company be called?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Same old song and dance.

Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
FreeLantz said:
:excited:
Yeah...I might think about moving, too.

I think we'll see a split HQ with the official home being in Auburn Hills. The question remains, what will the new company be called?
As an American, I personally don't care what they call it, if we can land the HQ. The HQ is what matters.

Although I wonder how the Italians would feel if it is called "Fiat." Is having a US-Based Fiat even more of a slap in the face than just moving the HQ in the first place? If so, then you might as well go for some generic name like "Worldwide Motors Corp" (similar to how the British Airways/Iberia company is called "International Airlines Group"). That way, you could still SAY that FIAT HQ is in Turin, even though COMPANY HQ is not...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The easy way to avoid this nationalistic argument is to put the HQ of record in a tax haven country. Neither Italy nor the US 'wins', and both lose tax revenue.

·
Registered
400 Posts
abgwin said:
The easy way to avoid this nationalistic argument is to put the HQ of record in a tax haven country. Neither Italy nor the US 'wins', and both lose tax revenue.
After the U.S. Gov bailed out Chrysler? I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
xjgary said:
After the U.S. Gov bailed out Chrysler? I don't think so.
The loans are paid back, with interest. The government is now out of the equation.

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
I would probably do what Charger Red is suggesting, if I was in charge, which I'm not. What I suspect will happen is a Fiat Auto (or whatever) will appear in Holland which will own Fiat (Italy) and Chrysler (US).

Didn't figure this was worthy of a full news story, just more rumors that we've heard before.

I really do also suspect Sergio will keep Fiat as it is and when they acquire Chrysler... it will still be Fiat, same structure in Italy. He can get a lot more concessions from Italy than from the US.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
That makes sense. The office of the parent company could even just be a single room in an office building somewhere, leaving the existing HQ's unchanged.

But who wouldn't want to see it in Auburn Hills?:)

·
Registered
491 Posts
It will probably be called Fiat-Chrysler LLC or something to that effect. Either case, I would not be too surprised to have the HQ here in the US.

·
Registered
288 Posts
guyver[this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool said:
y]
It will probably be called Fiat-Chrysler LLC or something to that effect. Either case, I would not be too surprised to have the HQ here in the US.
Fiat has publicly traded stock so it is very very very unlikely to become an LLC. Chrysler could remain as an LLC under Fiat though

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
SWAG

The companies will merge, and list themselves in a tax sheltered country, like every other big American company has done, the official HQ will remain in Italy, but the real HQ work will really be done in Michigan.

·
Registered
162 Posts
FreeLantz said:
The question remains, what will the new company be called?
Marchionne Automotive International

-Umbrella Corp for FIAT Group, Chrysler Group, Mazda Joint Venture, Mitsubishi Joint Venture (electric vehicles)

any more questions? :p

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
I would probably do what Charger Red is suggesting, if I was in charge, which I'm not. What I suspect will happen is a Fiat Auto (or whatever) will appear in Holland which will own Fiat (Italy) and Chrysler (US).

Didn't figure this was worthy of a full news story, just more rumors that we've heard before.

I really do also suspect Sergio will keep Fiat as it is and when they acquire Chrysler... it will still be Fiat, same structure in Italy. He can get a lot more concessions from Italy than from the US.
That was my thinking as well, until a few weeks ago.
Now, I would not be surprised if the HQ was moved to the US. Generating 75% of the combined companies profits and overcoming the stigma of a foreign owner could be worth 5% more in market share.
Those who discount nationalism need to study how wars get started.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
I only discount nationalism when it comes to American companies, since Americans have largely decided they prefer to buy from "anywhere but here."

I think that's largely due to the emphasis on globalism and free trade among leaders of both parties.

That said, Norm, you could be right. The stock price would certainly benefit from being an American company -- since it would almost automatically go to various large mutual fund buying lists. That said, it's not up to Sergio.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
I only discount nationalism when it comes to American companies, since Americans have largely decided they prefer to buy from "anywhere but here."

I think that's largely due to the emphasis on globalism and free trade among leaders of both parties.

That said, Norm, you could be right. The stock price would certainly benefit from being an American company -- since it would almost automatically go to various large mutual fund buying lists. That said, it's not up to Sergio.
True, I can tell you that the biggest obstacle I have in promoting Jeep and Chrysler products, is the " but they are foreign owned".
Urban legend doesn't have to be true, only repeated by those too lazy to learn for themselves.
Apparently Daimler/Chrysler was perceived as an American company...who knew...?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
While I agree with Norm vis a vis Jeep/Chrysler being foreign owned, just guess how the Italians would feel to lose Fiat's HQ. The problems in Europe will ease, and Fiat will start making money there again. IMO, this is never gonna happen; the only workable solution is a tax haven HO and subsidiary HQ's in Italy and USA. My own preference would be for the Company to be called Fiat-Chrysler Motori !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts