39,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

In other news, by the way...
Grand Wagoneer gets unusual unanimous vote at Wards 10 Best
Dodge Challenger Keeps Winning Awards
Perhaps this might sound like a kind of sacrilege to the engineering types, but for those of us (like me) who care much more about fuel economy than all-out speed, I wish either a naturally aspirated version of this engine had been developed, or perhaps there could have been a way for the driver to be able to "turn off" the turbos to drive naturally breathing.

(Runs back to the mud hut as the mob assembles to chase after me with tar and feathers):p:D

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
Perhaps this might sound like a kind of sacrilege to the engineering types, but for those of us (like me) who care much more about fuel economy than all-out speed, I wish either a naturally aspirated version of this engine had been developed, or perhaps there could have been a way for the driver to be able to "turn off" the turbos to drive naturally breathing.

(Runs back to the mud hut as the mob assembles to chase after me with tar and feathers):p:D
Or a model that is turned more for economy then all out HP and torque.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

Why bother when the Pentastar exists? Either way I doubt a NA 6-cylinder engine would've presented a very premium driving experience which runs counter to the Wagoneer's positioning.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Why bother when the Pentastar exists? Either way I doubt a NA 6-cylinder engine would've presented a very premium driving experience which runs counter to the Wagoneer's positioning.
Not for the Wagoneer variants or the Cherokee / Grand Cherokee variants.

BUT...for a Compact or smaller sedan / hatch / cuv / coupe......
YES...YES...YES!

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It would get lower fuel economy if you shut off the turbos. The standard output Hurricane is more economy tuned. This is the high output.
Really the 4xe is the one you're looking for.
Some of the engineering types care about fuel economy, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It would get lower fuel economy if you shut off the turbos. The standard output Hurricane is more economy tuned. This is the high output.
Really the 4xe is the one you're looking for.
Some of the engineering types care about fuel economy, too.
The best match of powertrain and vehicle for our family (4 athletic sons, average 25k miles a year per vehicle) would be a Wagoneer L Series III 4xe. With the Hurricane-based 4xe project looking like it's getting cut in favor of BEV development, I'm unhappily looking at what other options I can make work, when I'm ready to pull the trigger in a couple years.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
680 is more than 510... but $150,000 is more than $110,000.

As the driver of a car, not a Sherman tank, I do not think it's great news that six ton vehicles are being outfitted with sports car acceleration.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,955 Posts

As the driver of a car, not a Sherman tank, I do not think it's great news that six ton vehicles are being outfitted with sports car acceleration.
Agreed. I don't understand why they keep giving these cars insane HP. Everytime they do it I think of the older population that generally doesn't want that i.e my grandmother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed. I don't understand why they keep giving these cars insane HP. Everytime they do it I think of the older population that generally doesn't want that i.e my grandmother.
Sorry about your grandmother. I’m a great grandfather with a Hellcat Charger and a 392 Wrangler.
Can’t get enough horsepower!! For a backup I’m thinking 2000 HP electric Charger in ‘24.
YAHOO!!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Well......Now there's only one obvious way for Ma Stella to up the ante on Cadillac in the horsepower wars.
They're going to have to drop in the Gas Turbine engine from the Chrysler M1 Abrams Tank into the Grand Wagoneer! :p:ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts