Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a potential customer who approached me today (referral from another) She has a 2005 Ram 2500 Quad Cab with the Cummins Diesel. Hers has single zone controls. My questions (to start out) the parts list shows two units, one is designated HAA the other HAD. I believe I deciphered it enough that hers should be the HAA (one less actuator). Her first problem started with the passenger side not cooling now neither side is heating (not good in 30° weather and dangerous since it won't even get hot in defrost).

First question, other than a DRBIII does anyone know if a Snap-On Solus will "talk" to the system. Next question, are these, like some Ford products prone to blend door failures, possibly since it appears to use a split blend door that is apparently locked together for the single zone system. Next, the parts list is somewhat sketchy on the actuators. hers should have 4, but the list is somewhat unclear (almost all of the actuators show the same PN). I am well aware from reading on here that I should definitely stick with MOPAR parts, which is another issue, nearest decent size dealer is 75 miles away, or $18.00 round trip and 60 miles away so I would want to be reasonably sure what I would need before driving in either direction.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
Not sure about the HD's of that era, but the '02-'08 1500's had an issue with the blend doors breaking the stop pins (plastic) and the doors eventually failing. Usually it was the mode 2 door (controls defrost/floor), the recirc door and maybe the hot/cold blend doors. On my '06 the mode 2 door failed shortly after the base warranty expired, then the mode 1 door (controls dash/floor) failed last year (around 230K miles). The mode 2 door is impossible to access as there is a metal dash support that blocks any access. The recirc door on mine actually fell down onto the fan. The actuators (motors) usually don't fail.

I ended up spending $2200 last year at a local independent shop to replace the entire interior HVAC assemblies including the heater core, evaporator and all the blend doors. Truck was in the shop for over a week. Dodge redesigned the assemblies requiring a smaller evaporator and since the truck was 12 years old and had 240K miles I had them replace the heater core as well. I just did not have the time to tear the dash apart myself. Heater Treater has a kit with steel doors available.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug, I think from what I saw, the HVAC system seems to be common to all series, difference is single vs dual zone control which is why I suspect that the blend door is possibly two pinned together. My thought after looking at AllData, was "gas wrench time". I may look into the steel doors, I plan on trying the Solus to see if I can command the doors, or measure the voltage at the control head to see what the actuators use, hopefully 12V as that's easy to "cheat" them and see if they make any change. Gotta love cheap, plastic moving parts!

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
Mine was single zone so, yes, the two blend doors controlling hot/cold are probably pinned together.

Not sure what can read the HVAC system besides DRBIII. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will let you know once I get it here.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug D. after your information, visiting Heater Treater's site and doing some other research, I ordered the complete (less lower blend door) kit from Heater Treater. Once I get a 1965 Corvair out of my shop, the Dodge will be brought over for the job. Fortunately, I do have all the specialized tools, like a refrigerant recovery system, quick connect unlocking tools etc. I will probably flush the heater core while the assembly is out as a precaution.

Thanks for your information!

Reactions: Devildodge

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Might want to just replace the heater core if you have the entire assembly apart.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doug, I had already mentioned that to the owner, at least that shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts