Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 avenger with 18 inch wheels and goodyear LS2 225 50s tried to kill me several time on my ay home in the rain. The car has 25000 miles and the origanal tires wit good tread left on them. And 34lbs of pressure cold. Is this a tire problem, an alignment problem, or is it because of the wide low profile tires?
P.s. I was going about 40 in a 70 do to the issue
Mick

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
tirerack.com shows the Goodyear Eagle LS-2 only gets around a 5 out of 10 in wet weather traction and hydroplaning resistance. If the car is fine in the dry, it isn't likely to be an alignment issue. The wider tire can hinder traction in the rain but you should be able to find a good wet traction tire in your size..

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
When it's time to replace, try Michelin Hydroedge. I get excellent traction in rain and snow.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tirerack.com shows the Goodyear Eagle LS-2 only gets around a 5 out of 10 in wet weather traction and hydroplaning resistance. If the car is fine in the dry, it isn't likely to be an alignment issue. The wider tire can hinder traction in the rain but you should be able to find a good wet traction tire in your size...
Yeah it figures that the oem tires are not that good.

When it's time to replace, try Michelin Hydroedge. I get excellent traction in rain and snow.
Thanks for the tip I will have to take a look and see if they have the right size.
Mick

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Goodyear also has better tires than the cheap OEM stuff. The ConforTread and TripeTread tries are very nice. They cut through the rain like it isn't even there.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read a bunch of reviews and looked at pricing. WOW i am going to have to rob Ft Knocks (just kidding) to put tires on this thing. from the reviews i have a choice between Michelin Hydroedge Michelin Defender and Hankook Optimo H727 (i had these before) I am thinking i will go with the Hankook's because of price and experience. I just don't know how i am going to pull it off. I feel the car is dangerous with the tires it has now, especially when i consider the curvy, rutted and rough roads I have to drive 75 miles round trip 22 days a month on. plus I don't want my wife and kids in the car during a storm.
Mick

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Just don't get Kumho's. They don't last - barely had 42K on our Journey when I had to replace them. Put Firestone Affinity's on - so far good wear and wet weather grip. Driving home Sunday evening from my son's Legion game in Waynesboro we hit heavy showers and the Journey never flinched at 65-70 mph.

I hear ya on tire prices. Shop around for sales. At the time Firestone had a buy 3 get one free sale on the Affinity's. Ended up saving at least $150 (price of one tire) - I think the total was $550 out-the-door for P225/65/17's.

I checked into going with Michielins, but they were far above what I could afford for both the Ram and the Journey. But they do last - got 111,000 miles out of the OEM Michelins that came on my Ram.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hydroplaning in 40 mph with good tread? For me it just sounds unbelievable with any kind of 225 mm wide tire with acceptable alignment.
As an example my Sebring was behaving imo nervous in higher speed long curves and after alignment (rear axle settings were not ok) it's really something else. Also my LeBaron T2 was "much fun" accelerating on water - not so safe, before toe-in was set to specs. Well the Baron is still fun...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got some new shoes for the Avenger. I got an awesome deal on the hydroedges Bob L recomended. They are awesome I can tell a differance on the drive home. Bring on the rain.
Thanks Bob
Mick

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I gotta disagree with Doug about the Kumho's. I've got them on my Chevy and they've performed quite well. I've got 30,000 miles on mine and they're still in great shape. To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Glad you like them. I found they're great in snow, too.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Bob the guy at the tire shop said they aren't going to make them any more. Not sure if its true or not just letting you know.
Mick

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
I heard they discontinued the 14" size, and 15" are hard to find, so that doesn't surprise me. Mine are so new, I'm all set for at least 5 more years.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's cool I am hoping they last for a long time. How does your 200 handle in the rain?

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Haven't driven it in a downpour yet, but in light rain it grips fine, tires haven't broken loose. The handling is tight and confident.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Its possible I had a bad tire on mine. You just never know

·
Registered
398 Posts
We had HydroEdges on the Town and Country and they lasted 84000 miles, They were a great tire. Yes they discontinued them, at least in the 215 65 R16 size. I wanted to get some 2 months ago and they were gone, at least in my area. The shop said they had been discontinued.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We had HydroEdges on the Town and Country and they lasted 84000 miles, They were a great tire. Yes they discontinued them, at least in the 215 65 R16 size. I wanted to get some 2 months ago and they were gone, at least in my area. The shop said they had been discontinued.
I sure am glad I was able to grab these. :)
Mick

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
I gotta disagree with Doug about the Kumho's. I've got them on my Chevy and they've performed quite well. I've got 30,000 miles on mine and they're still in great shape. To each his own.
When you've put another 10,000 miles they'll be worn out. On both the '09 and '10 Journey I've had the Kumho's that came as original equipment were severely worn by 40,000 miles (wear bars were showing). Might have been just that model tires, but I was far from impressed.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I drove it in the rain last night and these tires are awesome!

When a parked thecar in the drive way this morning I noticed that my tires are skinnier then the tracks of the old ones, so I mesured the tires and found the new tires are 1\2 inch skinnier then the old tires. The size is right 225\50\18. Should I be conserned or is this O.K.?
Thanks
Mick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts